Everything... Norwegian Joy's Westernization 2019!

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

I am sorry to say but it definitely won't have a thermal suite. It will have a sauna in the locker room area in the spa and that is it. 

thanks...…. definitely think I'll switch cruises.  The thermal spa has always been my favourite on past cruises, although it has gone up a lot in price.....but worth it!

23 minutes ago, browniegirl said:

thanks...…. definitely think I'll switch cruises.  The thermal spa has always been my favourite on past cruises, although it has gone up a lot in price.....but worth it!

What even is a thermal spa? A hot room with lounge chairs?

46 minutes ago, Defhermit said:

What even is a thermal spa? A hot room with lounge chairs?

The thermal suites I have been in have been heavenly...

They have had a regular pool, then also had hot type tubs that are aerated and pure heaven..... they have the heated loungers with an amazing view, it's so peaceful and quiet.... they also have various types of rooms, ie: sauna etc. 

In my past experience, it has been well worth the extra money and have utilized it every day.  Its a great way to unwind.

Leah

4 hours ago, browniegirl said:

The thermal suites I have been in have been heavenly...

They have had a regular pool, then also had hot type tubs that are aerated and pure heaven..... they have the heated loungers with an amazing view, it's so peaceful and quiet.... they also have various types of rooms, ie: sauna etc. 

In my past experience, it has been well worth the extra money and have utilized it every day.  Its a great way to unwind.

Leah

I totally get that for some folks this is a deal breaker. For others not. For example for families, Joy has the Galaxy Pavilion a great option. It also has multi room interior suites- another unique feature. Cruising is all about finding the right fit for you. I love that process. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

I totally get that for some folks this is a deal breaker. For others not. For example for families, Joy has the Galaxy Pavilion a great option. It also has multi room interior suites- another unique feature. Cruising is all about finding the right fit for you. I love that process. 

I totally agree!  My kids when they were smaller LOVED the kids clubs and all the fun stuff to do!  That was our priority then.  Now that they are older and I do not usually have my kids with me anymore, I am more into the quiet areas haha, ie: thermal spa at least once a day to unwind before getting ready for dinner.    But, should I take my youngest who is 13 still on another cruise, then I will definitely not need the thermal spa!!!

Leah

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 11:40 AM, eroller said:

NCL pulling JOY out of China has nothing to do with rude passengers.  It has everything to do with $$.  They were overly ambitious sending a brand new mega-ship to China when the NCL brand is not established in Asia.  Royal, Princess, Costa, Genting (Star & Dream Cruises), and others have had more time to create brand awareness in China.  I'm also guessing NCL was not prepared for the business model in China.  Ships are chartered to multiple large tour companies, then passengers have to book via those tour companies.  It creates yield management challenges for the cruise lines which is why all cruise lines are trying to change the distribution system there.  Then there is the issue of overcapacity.  All cruise lines raced to send their biggest and best hardware to China, and that resulted in overcapacity.  The stronger more established cruise lines had the advantage.  All cruise lines, not just NCL overestimated the demand for cruises in China.  They were just premature.  The demand will happen and China will likely become the #1 cruise pax source in the world, but just not yet.  The market needs more time to cultivate.  More established cruise lines in China are still sending new capacity, like Royal sending the brand new SPECTRUM OF THE SEAS.  I think Royal has a better handle on the distribution system and business model in China as they have been there many years already.  More and more of their cruises are being sold direct through the line which is what they prefer over the charter system.  Lastly the Chinese currently only like very short getaways (shopping and gambling).  That means 2, 3, and 4 day cruises max, with maybe a 5 day thrown in now and then.  There are only so many places you can sail to from China in that short of time frame, so cruising destinations are quite limited.  The infrastructure in smaller ports is not built up because cruising is relatively new there.  New destinations will have to be developed.  Throw in the Chinese embargo of South Korea and that created more logistical challenges and limitations.

In the end NCL cut their losses and is sending JOY to a more profitable cruising region.  What is amazing is just how much NCL is spending on a brand new ship to westernize it.  Overall I would say this was a pretty big blunder on their part, but it's just a snippet in their overall profitability so they are not too worried.  Personally JOY has no appeal to me with that massive arcade and no thermal suite in the spa.  I'm sure she will do well though, especially with the family market.      

Great post Ernie and spot on as usual. Moving to the west coast we knew Celebrity wasn’t a major player in this market so after a ten year hiatus we’re going to try NCL again. The new Royal class from Princess do not appeal to us. The balconies are so small. My husband and I booked the Bliss for early October. It’s going to be nice to only have a short drive to catch a ship. 🙂 

Trying the Haven so hopefully we will enjoy it. Now trying to catch up on what we need to know. If you have any pointers please feel free to share. That’s always fun. Hope all is well down in south Florida. 

Now back to the subject of the Joy. Did not mean to hijack the thread. 🙂

18 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Great post Ernie and spot on as usual. Moving to the west coast we knew Celebrity wasn’t a major player in this market so after a ten year hiatus we’re going to try NCL again. The new Royal class from Princess do not appeal to us. The balconies are so small. My husband and I booked the Bliss for early October. It’s going to be nice to only have a short drive to catch a ship. 🙂 

Trying the Haven so hopefully we will enjoy it. Now trying to catch up on what we need to know. If you have any pointers please feel free to share. That’s always fun. Hope all is well down in south Florida. 

Now back to the subject of the Joy. Did not mean to hijack the thread. 🙂

Thanks!!  Good to see you on here.  All is well in South Florida.  Cruising like crazy of course, but not on NCL at least for now.  I'm a bit turned off to them at the moment.  It happens.  Just better choices for me right now on cruise lines I feel appreciate my business a tad more.  

I think you booked the best of the Breakaway/Breakaway Plus Class ships.  BLISS would be my first choice.  Some great changes to the design including a more spacious pool deck, spa moved aft, and most of all the massive observation lounge (even one just for the Haven).  I have really enjoyed my Haven experiences so I'm sure you will too.  

I hope you're enjoying west coast living.  I lived in LA for 15 years prior to moving to Atlanta and it will always be home to me.  My youth was spent there so lots of memories and my core group of friends was formed there.    

21 minutes ago, Corycor said:

Looks like some of the crew members just started posting on social media again. Hopefully some new photos will show up soon. 

#norwegianjoy

Enjoying all the photos.  The excitement is building!  We'll be on her May 18th~~