Do You Always Have A Cruise in the Hopper?

Is it just me but I can't even be happy unless I have 1 cruise planned no matter how far out.

My DW wants a break for this year (from cruising) and focus on land type vacations.

And that cruise is all the way in November 2020 but having it there makes me happy.

Our tradition is to wait until our last cruise is over before starting the search for the next one... Having said THAT, the search starts immediately, and I mean often on the flight home from the last one!

I like the security of always having something booked, and sometimes I'm double-booked.  I'm probably going to start booking a few land vacations, but it's just not the same.

Roz

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Is it just me but I can't even be happy unless I have 1 cruise planned no matter how far out.

My DW wants a break for this year (from cruising) and focus on land type vacations.

And that cruise is all the way in November 2020 but having it there makes me happy.

I wish !!! :(( Since I've retired and with her still working it's difficult living on 1 and a half income. Before I retired we'd always have at least two cruises planned. One would be the middle of March (our anniversary) the next would be either in Sept or Oct but now we've had to be content with one😞 She's talked about pulling the pin either June or the end of this year. But that means we'll only have ONE income ! I know (for a fact, she'd still want to cruise and even try twice a year, again) she has said it several times but we'll just have to wait and see. I HOPE, for goodness sakes, we can still do the once-a-year cruise I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Still hard to believe this is the SAME woman I literally had to emotionally DRAG on her first cruise in 2007. Now, it's ALL she talks about. It's like 'WHEN are we going on a cruise !!' 

Mac

Pretty much, but it's not every year......this year, for instance, is my year for an extended land trip, but I have a 2020 and 2.021 cruise already booked.  I like to grab them right away after they're announced, because the lower priced cabins can sell out quickly. 

We usually have one, sometimes two, lined up— but cruising is not everything.  We have a QM2 cruise lined up for Dec-Jan,  but in the interim have a couple of land trips to see family,  and have already booked next March-April FL getaway.

Bluntly, cruising is no longer the great thing— we’ve already repeated a number of itineraries and are increasingly disappointed by declining quality of shipboard experience.

7 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Now that you mention it, seems we always have one in the hopper.  Currently we have one Med/Greek Isles cruise this year and one Asian Cruise for Jan 2020.  About midway between those we have a land trip scheduled.  

PS: We used to enter Mt Diablo from the Diablo gate.   Now we are on the North side.  Kids used to love Rock City.          

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Bluntly, cruising is no longer the great thing— we’ve already repeated a number of itineraries and are increasingly disappointed by declining quality of shipboard experience.

We currently have a 5 day cruise scheduled out of  Singapore.  It is at the tail end of a 10 day land trip.   For some of the same reasons you give, I suspect that we are going to look at more land trips and tack a cruise on if it is appealing.  

12 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Yep, and even if there isn't one, there would always be a land trip in the future.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our goal is  to cruise 3 times a year for the next 10 years.

LOL - my goal is to cruise once a year for the next 30 years.   OK, that was a joking play on words; in reality, my goal is to cruise 3 weeks a year for the next 30 years 😉   I love long cruises with lots of sea days. 

Almost never.

The majority our our cruises are late bookings.  Anywhere from 45/50 days out to 3 days out. Typically these are spontaneous bookings purchased just prior to, or during, an extended land trip.

I have 9 booked right now through 2020. 99% sure will cancel 2 (B2B) for Mar/2020...I tend to book 2 to 3 in a row, either on 1 ship or switching ships. I cruise for itineraries now, so I want to make the most of it, since everything is a long flight from West Coast.

5 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

LOL - my goal is to cruise once a year for the next 30 years.   OK, that was a joking play on words; in reality, my goal is to cruise 3 weeks a year for the next 30 years 😉   I love long cruises with lots of sea days. 

I know you prefer luxury lines, but you would have liked Carnival Splendor Repo to Singapore in Oct. 24 days and 18 sea days. I’m glad I like sea days too. LOL

We like to have a cruise that has a unique itinerary booked early as prices just seem to skyrocket where as cruises that are repeated often can be booked last minute. Either way, there is always at least one in the future to look forward to.

Currently six.  One time we were discussing this with some people on board and they couldn’t believe I had cruises booked that far in the future.  One lady said to me “I have no idea where I’ll be two years from now!”  Well, I’m pretty sure I’ll still want to be cruising...and the deposits are refundable.  Luckily I don’t live in a country where the deposits are not refundable.  Although, in that case, as we are both retired, I’d probably become an expert at booking after final payment.

It would sound crazy to say that anticipation is the greatest part of cruising...so I’ll just say it is a huge component.

Edited by helen haywood