Do you believe all the negative reviews?

Stoffel1982

6 hours ago, lisiamc said:

If I see a lot of reviews mentioning the same things, good or bad, I will pay attention.  

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think it would really depend on what the negativity is about, if they are all complaining about the same thing

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

If there was a common negative theme running through the majority of the reviews then maybe I would hesitate before booking.   

Yep - I too pay attention to a common theme

JB :classic_smile:

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We have been fortunate that we have loved every cruise.

A cruise like any holiday is what you make it.

I never read reviews on individual cruise ships. ===> Bravo!

Like you (and many others!) I have given up on reading reviews

and on writing them, too.

Like "art" reviews tend to be subjective. They may be interesting

but not to be taken to heart, neither the Good, the Bad or the Ugly!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stoffel1982 said:

Hi there

What would you do if you booked a cruise and read negative reviews afterwards? People calling the ship not classy, over the top, etc.

I read that some people even cancel the cruise based on opinions of others? That's really sad no?

What is your opinion on this matter?

I figure the person that wrote the review was sincere in their review so from that view point I believe them. However, I look at the issue objectively from my point of view and say to myself, "if this occurred on my cruise what would my response be?". Most of the time what upsets others wouldn't be a big concern to me (i.e. decor I can take or leave and it's a backdrop only, so if it's "over the top" I'm likely to just tune it out). 

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

The larger the population the smaller the sample needed.  Valid statistical conclusions can be drawn from small sample sizes.  Of course, the reviews you are referring to are not random sampling and are heavily biased as already explained in several posts. 

I have learned to not rely on negative reviews for just about all the same reasons already given.   

Well as reviews are totally subjective and reflect a given individual's opinion I don't believe that very small sample sizes of this information necessarily reflect the opinions of the vastly greater majority.  Either way, I pay very little attention to them.  But that is just my opinion......

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Yep - I too pay attention to a common theme

JB :classic_smile:

Exactly - if there is a recurring common theme, which happens to address something in which I am interested, I will give it more weight.  But, to stay on point, I certainly would not cancel a cruise already booked —- because I get a good enough sense of a cruise/itinerary/ship before booking in the first place.

Finally, being a realist, I keep in mind the fact that a lot of the people I see on cruises are pushy, petulant and self-absorbed —— so why would I risk being swayed by what they say.

I remember one review where the poster started by emphasizing here cruise line status and the amount of money spent on the cruise (largest possible suite, etc.).  She then went on to emphasize how the entire cruise was ruined because the cruise line only served Pepsi products and her family wanted Coke.  She insisted that the cruise line owed her a complete refund, after having taken the cruise of course, because they didn't make the fact that they only served Pepsi clear on their booking website.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I remember one review where the poster started by emphasizing here cruise line status and the amount of money spent on the cruise (largest possible suite, etc.).  She then went on to emphasize how the entire cruise was ruined because the cruise line only served Pepsi products and her family wanted Coke.  She insisted that the cruise line owed her a complete refund, after having taken the cruise of course, because they didn't make the fact that they only served Pepsi clear on their booking website.  

Which just goes to show that the maxim "the customer is always right" is sometimes wrong.🤣

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If I'd pay attention to bad reviews I wouldn't have gone to CATS. 😉🐱

Now there would be a good time to pay attention to the reviews! 

I sat through Cats in Broadway. For some reason, did it again in my hometown. 

Actually went with DH on Oasis, and stuck it out till intermission. 

I would never write a bad review on something as subjective as entertainment, because I could be the only person bored out of my mind!

I do love the songs, though, but prefer them on a CD. 

• Thanks 1

We find reading the reviews pure "entertainment".  Especially when one review is an overall "awful" and another review is an overall "excellent"......and it was for the SAME CRUISE!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been on a few ships that the reviews said were terrible. I have had a good time on all of them. I think my new criteria will be as follows:

The more bad reviews, The higher chance that I will select that ship.

Whether its a cruise, restaurant, hotel, tourist attraction I've never found one that is as bad as its worst review or as good as its best review.  What I spend more time doing is looking at where the bulk of the opinion lies but then go and find out for myself. 

The last thing I care about in a review is someone's opinion. I enjoy pictures and hearing about what they did. Not how they felt about it. There are too many miserable people out there that just bring everything down. The "all food was inedible" is always a good one that quickly is ignored. 

I might glance at the review for the sailing or two before mine just to see what's going on... But it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Things like food or entertainment are so subjectable I don't really care what others think... But if people are saying things like the physical appearance is bad or there was blatant maintenance neglect going on I might be more likely to believe. Years ago there were maybe 3 weeks in a row of people complaining about certain areas on vision of the seas smelling terrible.....and sure enough, on my cruise that same area also smelled like there was sewage just sloshing around on the floor... And it smelled the whole week.

So while people with bad experiences may be more likely to be vocal about it... They aren't always wrong or over exaggerating.

Edited by CanobieFan

As others have stated unless I see a pattern I don't put too much faith into reviews.  Have seen a scathing review of a cruise we were on where we had a great time.  We actually had met the reviewer during the cruise, were on an excursion with them, and this was about the only way we knew for sure we had been on the same sailing!!   Knew from our brief encounter they had very different priorities than we did.

After 24 RCCL cruises, if I had cancelled after reading reviews, I probably would never have gone on one.  Everyone has their own ideas as to what the cruise would be like.  Some expect 5 star dining and occasionally their expectations are not met.  Sometimes a particular stateroom out of HUNDREDS of them, might have an issue.  Perhaps a stateroom attendant might have a bad day and not be "happy".  I've only been disappointed once and that was on Majesty,  ONLY because of the layout of the ship that was really, REALLY strange.  Regardless, ANY day on a cruiseship is better than being at home (unless you're sick).

Take opinions with a grain of salt and remember that expectations are different for everyone.

• Like 1

We do not pay a lot of attention to the variables.  Food, entertainment, and service.  These can change so much between cruises, ships, and cruise line.

We do pay attention to ship condition.  Constant A/C or plumbing failures, some elevators habitually out of service, lack of amenities.  Also condition of cabin/balcony-furniture, soft goods, etc.   We are reluctant to select a cruise where a number of people have commented that the cabin furnishing are well past their best before date.

Edited by iancal

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Reminds me of the loud woman at the Trevi Fountain a few years back, when it was dry due to reconstruction: telling her friend (in all apparent seriousness) how they should get at least a partial refund from their travel agent because the fountain was one of the things they had looked forward to seeing.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Reminds me of the loud woman at the Trevi Fountain a few years back, when it was dry due to reconstruction: telling her friend (in all apparent seriousness) how they should get at least a partial refund from their travel agent because the fountain was one of the things they had looked forward to seeing.

And what about all the people standing in front of the fountain, whenever you see the tourist brochures there is no one in them bar one couple.

21 hours ago, Stoffel1982 said:

Hi there

What would you do if you booked a cruise and read negative reviews afterwards? People calling the ship not classy, over the top, etc.

I read that some people even cancel the cruise based on opinions of others? That's really sad no?

What is your opinion on this matter?

Its just a persons opinion. I have been going to a medical doctor for 10 years and in my opinion he is an excellent physician,extremely caring.

I recently read a review on line  stating he is a terrible doctor.That does not mean I will change my mind and stop going to him.

I have sometimes read reviews or post by people who claim that such a such is a 'wonderful' captain.  

I have often wondered if this was directed at his/her ship management and seafaring capabilities or his/her personality, grey hair, radio voice, or appearance in a nicely tailored uniform.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

For her to emphasize her cruise line status would really make no sense, as if she really had the status that she was touting as some sort of credibility for her commentary, she would have already know from her many time on board that Coke was not served.......

But it takes all kinds, which only supports my thoughts about the validity of most reviews.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

For her to emphasize her cruise line status would really make no sense, as if she really had the status that she was touting as some sort of credibility for her commentary, she would have already know from her many time on board that Coke was not served.......

But it takes all kinds, which only supports my thoughts about the validity of most reviews.

Good point.

no, have never cancelled - realize others have different expectations and desires.  A good example for us is the Grand Princess has had bad reviews, complaints of others were more about what they wanted vs us.  We find the Grand in good shape, we have cruised it when it was brand new and still do as it is home ported in San Francisco.  Leaving on it this coming saturday for a 7 day California Coastal.  Booked on it again next February for 10 days to Mexico.  By comparison we cruised on the new Royal 1.5 years ago on a TA, it would not be my first choice for a cruise again, does not meet our desires even though brand new.    We prefer Grand class design - a matter of choice.   We are booked on the Coral for a Panama Canal... avoiding the Royal, Regal etc, not our cup of tea.