New York City map

TSS Alex

Since it seems that one of the most often-asked questions here is, "Do I sail past the Statue of Liberty?" (right behind 'Where do I stay?" and"What airport is closest to..?"), I killed a day playing in Google Maps. Attached is a map of the Greater New York area, with a number of layers that can be turned off and on, depending on what you want to see.

• Ship routes thru New York Harbor to Port Liberty (Bayonne), Brooklyn Cruise Port, and Manhattan Cruise Port (Usual routings - can't/won't rule out possible sailing around the harbor)
  • The three NY airports
  • A partial map of the New York subway (This does NOT show all trackage or stations)
  • NYC Ferry map (including the Staten Island Ferry and the Statue of Liberty ferry)
  • PATH and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (for those staying in New Jersey)
  • Points of Interest (Opinions vary as to interest. I'll add things if enough request)

Since I am a native New Yorker, I have not included hotels, as I've never stayed at any of them. I've also not included restaurants, mostly due to the sheer number.

If you find this useful, please feel free to share the link.

Please let me know, if anything should be added.

New York City map

• Like 1

Thank your for posting this map.  I have a trip scheduled next Oct from Red Hook on Princess.  I plan on staying in Midtown; so I also saw a thread about taking the ferry from wall street to Red Hook.  I may just do that.  Again,  thanks,  I will study this map

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the time you put in the map.  I've been trying to plan a couple of days in NYC after our cruise and this has been very helpful locating the places we want to visit and the relationship to each location.

If I may make a suggestion for improvement of the accuracy of your map, you should relabel the cruise port in Bayonne with its correct name,  Cape Liberty . Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a waterfront development with a ferry terminal not far away in Jersey City named "Port Liberte". My concern is if someone wants to take a car service or taxi to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal and they use the words "Port Liberty" instead they may end up with their driver taking them to "Port Liberte", not the Cape Liberty cruise terminal.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:10 AM, TruckerDave said:

NJ Transit line form EWR into Manhattan. 

and the almost impossible one....locations of free bathrooms in midtown. 😬

I've lived in the city for my entire life - free bathrooms at Grand Central and every hotel lobby, as well as most large stores.

I didn't put the EWR line in because it isn't just one straight run. But, I'll try to get it in next week.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:21 AM, njhorseman said:

If I may make a suggestion for improvement of the accuracy of your map, you should relabel the cruise port in Bayonne with its correct name,  Cape Liberty . Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but there is a waterfront development with a ferry terminal not far away in Jersey City named "Port Liberte". My concern is if someone wants to take a car service or taxi to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal and they use the words "Port Liberty" instead they may end up with their driver taking them to "Port Liberte", not the Cape Liberty cruise terminal.

Done  - even though I find it unlikely that a car service/taxi would take a group of people and their luggage to a housing complex instead of the cruise port, because they use 'Port' instead of 'Cape'.

Thanks for all your hard work. We are coming in a couple days early in September.We are staying in Newark at the HIlton Next to Penn Station.  This has been helpful planning our couple of days in New York.  

4 hours ago, stalco said:

Thanks for all your hard work. We are coming in a couple days early in September.We are staying in Newark at the HIlton Next to Penn Station.  This has been helpful planning our couple of days in New York.  

If you’re at the Newark Penn Hilton, check back next week when TSS Alex adds NJ Transit to his map.  Meanwhile here’s the NJ rail map with PATH  and the light rail in the background - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf.   Here’s the stand alone PATH map with a link to the schedules - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

NJ Transit and PATH are the two main ways to get yourselves in and out of Manhattan from Newark Penn.  Also read the sticky at the top of this forum about the 2019 weekend PATH to World Trade interruptions which involves taking a ferry from Exchange Place to a dock west of World Trade.

On March 22, 2019 at 9:13 PM, TSS Alex said:

Since it seems that one of the most often-asked questions here is, "Do I sail past the Statue of Liberty?" (right behind 'Where do I stay?" and"What airport is closest to..?"), I killed a day playing in Google Maps. Attached is a map of the Greater New York area, with a number of layers that can be turned off and on, depending on what you want to see.

• Ship routes thru New York Harbor to Port Liberty (Bayonne), Brooklyn Cruise Port, and Manhattan Cruise Port (Usual routings - can't/won't rule out possible sailing around the harbor)
  • The three NY airports
  • A partial map of the New York subway (This does NOT show all trackage or stations)
  • NYC Ferry map (including the Staten Island Ferry and the Statue of Liberty ferry)
  • PATH and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (for those staying in New Jersey)
  • Points of Interest (Opinions vary as to interest. I'll add things if enough request)

Since I am a native New Yorker, I have not included hotels, as I've never stayed at any of them. I've also not included restaurants, mostly due to the sheer number.

If you find this useful, please feel free to share the link.

Please let me know, if anything should be added.

New York City map

Is TSS Times Square Stores ?

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in.  Last time I was in New York I was like a deer in the headlights.  So much to see and do.  I have two days in July this time and hope to be a bit more organised.  This map will be helpful.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Is TSS Times Square Stores ?

Once upon a time, yes. But now, it's just my title at work - Train Service Supervisor. I work for NYC Transit, currently in an office position, but did spend time as a Conductor, Train Operator, and 10 years as an Instructor teaching new hires.  One of the job perks is the ability to take over operation of any train in the system "just because".

16 hours ago, TSS Alex said:

Once upon a time, yes. But now, it's just my title at work - Train Service Supervisor. I work for NYC Transit, currently in an office position, but did spend time as a Conductor, Train Operator, and 10 years as an Instructor teaching new hires.  One of the job perks is the ability to take over operation of any train in the system "just because".

Thanks for responding. I lived most of my life in Brooklyn and that father of one of my friends was a NYC Transit Supervisor in Brooklyn.

OK TruckerDave (and everyone else) - The map in the original post has been updated with a new layer with the EWR Airtrain (and stops) and the NJT line from Newark Airport to Penn Station has been added. Hoboken connections to come at a later date.

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If I fly into EWR do I have to take air train from airport to Newark then to Penn station?  I plan on staying in Times Square Hilton. 

The “Airtrain” is a free monorail train that connects the EWR terminals, the Newark Airport train station, the P4 parking & shuttle pickup station, other parking, and a selection of rental car providers.  https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

You take the airtrain to the train station where you buy a NJ Transit ticket to New York Penn Station for $13.  There are about 3 trains/hour throughout the day - more during peak times.  Use this link to see the schedule - https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo   From = Newark Airport. To=New York Penn Station

Don’t get on an Amtrak train.

Edited by 138east

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question for the NY experts.  We are spending part of a day at World Trade Center then want to head to Pier 83 to take an afternoon cruise tour.  What would the safest and easiest way to get to and from the Path station at WTC to the Pier?  Hoping to avoid expensive Taxis or Ubers.  Thanks!!!!

There are lots of free bathrooms in midtown.  

The preferred list (much shorter) which indicates  the really clean, comfortable, convenient, free (and therefore truly desirable) ones is NOT shared - how clean, comfortable, convenient, and truly desirable are they likely to remain if EVERYONE knows about, and uses, them?

4 minutes ago, stalco said:

Just a quick question for the NY experts.  We are spending part of a day at World Trade Center then want to head to Pier 83 to take an afternoon cruise tour.  What would the safest and easiest way to get to and from the Path station at WTC to the Pier?  Hoping to avoid expensive Taxis or Ubers.  Thanks!!!!

What day of the week and what time?  What is the “PATH” connection?  Are you staying in NJ and if so, where?  

The simplest way to get to midtown is to take the E train to 42nd & 8th and walk 4 avenues to the Hudson River or take the #1, R, or W train to 42nd and walk 5 avenues to the Hudson River.  Are you actually going to be in the World Trade Center or just in the general area?  For example if you’re a bit east, the A train from Fulton St is express to midtown with 6 stops to 42nd St& 8th.  The subway stops in lower Manhattan are very close together.

If you need PATH back to NJ, you take it back from 33rd & 6th.  

More details can can be provided.

We will be there during the week on a Tuesday.   Sorry to be so difficult..... we are heading over from New Jersey Penn Station to see the World Trade Center.  After seeing that we wanted to head up to Pier 83.  Does that help?

2 hours ago, stalco said:

We will be there during the week on a Tuesday.   Sorry to be so difficult..... we are heading over from New Jersey Penn Station to see the World Trade Center.  After seeing that we wanted to head up to Pier 83.  Does that help?

You’re not difficult.  The Subway advice is good.  Here’s the map so you can see all the stations downtown.  http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

If you’re going back to Newark Penn Station, I’d walk to New York Penn Station at 33rd & 8th from Pier 83 and take the NJ Transit train directly there for $5.25/pp.  https://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Heres the big picture map - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

PATH - https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

If you’re on a tight budget, you can walk to PATH at 33rd & 6th and take the Journal Square train to Journal Square and transfer to the Newark train back to Newark Penn Station for $2.75/pp.