What are you most upset about in the Cruise Industry?

jbethel11

39 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

The secret is pretty much out that Champagne isn't the height of the sparkling wine world anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

Those that still cling to it as the best quality  are either French, old, old-fashioned, conservative or a mixture. By all means have your favourite sparkling wine whether it be Champagne, Cava, Shampanskoye or whatever as that's your taste. Sparkling wine is not my first choice of drink but if need be I will choose Cava as I generally prefer my Spanish wines.

I have to wonder after reading your post if you know what the word “Champagne” means.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have to wonder after reading your post if you know what the word “Champagne” means.

I fail to see what you are trying to imply.

My guess is you presume that I think all sparkling wine is champagne. It is not.

I have been to the Champagne region (Reims) and although I drank some good examples I was more interested in other delights of the area.

Or are you going to prove my point from my original post I wonder?

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

I respectfully disagree and remain with my original view on both.

I will not debate why as I there are many of my posts on these matters and I don't want to hijack the thread.

What is a livable wage is different in the UK than it is in many of the countries the ship's crews come from. From the point of view of their home country many of them are doing quite well, regardless of the method of payment.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

What is a livable wage is different in the UK than it is in many of the countries the ship's crews come from. From the point of view of their home country many of them are doing quite well, regardless of the method of payment.

Image result for exploitation

I'll just post an image rather than discuss/hijack in the usual way since this thread has already  been hijacked with French bubbles which admittedly, I was mistakenly part of.

1 minute ago, Velvetwater said:

Image result for exploitation

I'll just post an image rather than discuss/hijack in the usual way since this thread has already  been hijacked with French bubbles which admittedly, I was mistakenly part of.

Sorry that you don't appreciate the finer points of economics. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

You keep on thinking that if it makes you feel better.

I don't need to feel better since I accept things the way that they are, but if you cruise feeling the way that you do (which is entirely up to you, of course) then you are complicit in whatever harm is being done, just as much so as any suit in the board room.

17 hours ago, OCruisers said:

No longer having the MDR open for lunch on Port Days.  

A good reason to cruise in the Yacht Club on MSC ships.  The Yacht Clubs private restaurant is open for 3 meals a day whether or not in port.  

Hank

34 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

1 hour ago, Velvetwater said:

I fail to see what you are trying to imply.

46 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Sorry that you don't appreciate the finer points of economics. 

34 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

You keep on thinking that if it makes you feel better.

Yes, the cruise industry might irritate some due to;

Sparkling wine being called 'Champagne' 

The industry may or may not exploit its workers

There may be too many cutbacks

The value may or may not be the same as years ago

There may or may not be too many chair hogs

There may not be enough home ports in the U.S. , and 

There are definitely not enough home posts near my house

But you have to admit the cruise industry sure does attract loyal customers who like a good ol' internet dust-up once in a while.😀

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

This is a cruise forum and most people here are interested in cruising.

Of course climate changes, poverty, human rights etc. are  more important than the small problems the rich cruisers have. But as I said this is a cruise forum so other things may be discussed somewhere else.

If the OP had mentioned "real" problems I shouldn't have mentioned the things I mentioned.

Compared to poverty high prices for cruising is not a problem! 

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Yes, the cruise industry might irritate some due to;

Sparkling wine being called 'Champagne' 

The industry may or may not exploit its workers

There may be too many cutbacks

The value may or may not be the same as years ago

There may or may not be too many chair hogs

There may not be enough home ports in the U.S. , and 

There are definitely not enough home posts near my house

But you have to admit the cruise industry sure does attract loyal customers who like a good ol' internet dust-up once in a while.😀

I reckon it's forums in general.

I remember how crazy the gaming forums got when I was a teenager. It became a pub brawl with words.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps the reason you like Asti Spumante is because it is similar to REAL Champagne, which I am inclined to wonder if you would recognize upon presentation.

The better beverages which come with corks are really designed for tasting rather than thirst quenching.

Both of your statements here are incorrect.

5 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

I will not debate why as I there are many of my posts on these matters and I don't want to hijack the thread.

Good. Heed your own advice and give it a rest before you sound like a broken record on CC.

8 hours ago, Aplmac said:

All Champagnes I've ever sampled are utterly horrible.

I cannot think of a worse wine product!

A pleasant (Italian) Asti Spumante is a welcome alternative

to the snob value of a "real" Champagne.
I much prefer a cheap sparkling white wine: excellent value for money!

Oh and btw...Screw-tops rule!

Corks are a pain, especially when I'm thirsty

Really, you have not tried some of the better champagnes then. Value for money is subjective as it depends on why you are drinking it, for the taste or for the effect.

3 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

I reckon it's forums in general.

I remember how crazy the gaming forums got when I was a teenager. It became a pub brawl with words.

The anonymity of the forums has people posting things that they normally wouldn't in polite conversation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Really, you have not tried some of the better champagnes then. Value for money is subjective as it depends on why you are drinking it, for the taste or for the effect.

Are you sure you really want to continue this wine  conversation with this particular bon vivant? 

14 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The system with bidding for upgrades NCL, and maybe some other lines, has now. That makes the price higher for thoose (=me) who wants to book what they want without hoping for a cheap upgrade.

That people from some countries can cancel a cruise for free until final payment. That makes it harder for people from other countries to book the cabin they want since some people might book and later cancel.

Maybe it doesn't really upset me but it bother me that they say Champagne when they mean a cheap sparkling wine!

At least you realize what champagne is.  The cruise lines realize that most people do not have any idea what champagne is and they get away with calling the cheap swill that they pour champagne.  Most people think that any wine that bubbles is champagne.

There is a specific definition of champagne - 

" Many people use the term Champagne as a generic term for sparkling wine but in some countries, it is illegal to label any product Champagne unless it both comes from the Champagne region and is produced under the rules of the appellation.[1] Specifically, in the EU countries, legally only that sparkling wine which comes from the Champagne region of France can be labelled as Champagne. Where EU law applies, this alcoholic drink is produced from grapes grown in the Champagne region of France following rules that demand, among other things, secondary fermentation of the wine in the bottle to create carbonation, specific vineyard practices, sourcing of grapes exclusively from specific parcels in the Champagne appellation and specific pressing regimes unique to the region.[2] Champagne appellation law allows only grapes grown according to appellation rules in specifically designated plots within the appellation to be used in the production of Champagne."

I am not a real fan of champagne and I have had bad real champagnes but at least I know what it is.

DON

What upsets me most is the constant nickel and diming. An extra charge here, a premium for extra cost there, thinly-disguised sales pitches at every turn creating the perception I am regarded as a mere ATM by the cruise companies who are committed to relentlessly pressing the keys in the hopes of finding the right combination.

On the plus side however the more market-driven approach has meant casting aside and ignoring many tired cruise "traditions" and not having to bring a suit and tie for "formal night" is much appreciated. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how long, on average, did it take someone to earn $20 in 1913

vs. how long it takes a person to earn $20 now?

I could also ask how long did it take to spend $20 in 1913

versus how long a Twenty flashes past you in 2019