Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

5 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

... you can see anchor chains in long-distance photos (while it was still light)

holding ship -which is pitching and yawing in heavy seas.

What I saw on Facebook was NOT pretty!!

We had better hope those two? anchors hold

becoz the way she's rocking is not encouraging.

Relentless winds not helping the situation either!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

What I saw on Facebook was NOT pretty!!

We had better hope those two? anchors hold

becoz the way she's rocking is not encouraging.

Relentless winds not helping the situation either!

This would have been closer to the start of the emergency, right?  It's still a bit light (or is that the camera somehow?).

GC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

Viking Sky has some power (lights are on) ... but is anchored close (less than 4 kilometres off rocky headlands) in high wings and heavy seas .... so it may just be auxiliary diesel running generators rather than main engines. Clearly insufficient power to drive ship offshore. 

I am not sure if cheng has posted on this forum but he is a regular poster on the Royal Caribbean/Carnival/NCL boards in regards to ship engineering:  propulsion etc..  I hope he finds this thread. 

A bit of background on him.  He is a longtime Chief Engineer working on cargo ships, I believe he is currently on a tanker.  However he has done a stint on a NCL cruise ship.

I am gonna try to channel him...

Modern cruise ships have two engine rooms that are independent of each other, each containing enough diesel engines to power one "screw" and enough of the hotel services to make things somewhat bearable.  A vast majority of cargo ships only have one screw.  The reason why cruise ships have 2 screws (or multiple azipods) is because of speed.  To drive a cruise ship at 19 knots (a typical cruise ship) speed requires 2 screws (not sure on how many azipods are needed)  Cargo ships go at about half that speed and some now even going slower.

So my opnion is that there was some event which caused both engine rooms to go offline.  Since then they have been able to get one engine on-line, thus getting one screw turning and hotel services going in some limited matter.

Again this is my opionion based on what cheng has posted in past when other cruise ships have had propulision issues

I really hopes he finds this thread (he may be working, he logs in when he can) and give everyone his opinion on his in-depth knowledge. If he does, and disagrees with any of the above, I would definitely take his opinion over mine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

port side anchor chain visible (about 1600 local)

The cruise ship Viking Sky lays at anchor in heavy seas, after it sent out a Mayday signal because of engine failure in windy conditions, near Hustadvika, off the west coast of Norway, Saturday March 23, 2019.  The Viking Sky is forced to evacuate its 1,300 passengers. (Frank Einar Vatne / NTB scanpix via AP) Photo: Frank Einar Vatne, AP / NTB scanpix

Hopefully they have paid out metres and extra metres of anchor chain

on both anchors? because that's the only hope now for the ship

in these bloody-awful sea and wind conditions!

3 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Just for the record, very few passenger ships have the capacity to have a helicopter land on deck, therefore the most common practice is a hover and hoist.

Furthermore, the ship itself is certainly the best 'lifeboat' given the fact its not a Concordia situation where the ship is sinking, and with all due respect i think the mention of future cruise credits as a concern is a bit callous but maybe that just me🙄

AGREED....Please stop such comments.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gatour said:

Again this is my opionion based on what cheng has posted in past when other cruise ships have had propulision issues

I really hopes he finds this thread (he may be working, he logs in when he can) and give everyone his opinion on his in-depth knowledge. If he does, and disagrees with any of the above, I would definitely take his opinion over mine.

I hope to learn more about how this occurs and hope cheng finds this thread.

Is the cruise industry, and perhaps Viking in particular, growing too fast that there are not enough sufficiently skilled engineers and other staff on the ships to avert such problems?

Might such problems like today with the Viking Sky be due to management decisions or insufficient maintenance? Or, might it be random? I haven't the experience or knowledge to do more than ask questions. But, there seems to be a human component to such incidents and Viking has had several mechanical incidents in its short history and on its relatively new ships, this being the most severe and dangerous.

Pardon me if some feel this is not the appropriate forum for such questions. I desire the safety of those affected by this crisis. 

My DW and I are schedule to embark the Viking Star for our second VO cruise soon. I'm having doubts about it, and I get that stuff happens. 

Sorry that I have been absent for the last 1,5 hours. I just checked the latest Norwegian news, and they now report a total of 9 passengers to hospital with injuries - and 3 of them are reported to be serious but doesn't give any details in that regard, and two have been transferred to Kristiansund hospital and one of them has been transferred (by air) from Molde hospital to the larger Bergen university hospital.

Latest report is that 139 persons have  been evacuated until now.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Sorry that I have been absent for the last 1,5 hours. I just checked the latest Norwegian news, and they now report a total of 9 passengers to hospital with injuries - and 3 of them are reported to be serious but doesn't give any details in that regard, and one of them has been transferred by air) from Molde hospital to the larger Bergen university hospital.

Latest report is that 139 persons have  been evacuated until now.
As rough as conditions are, especially having seen some of the videos from onboard, it's amazing there aren't more serious injuries.
Thanks for providing local updates.
Prayers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Sorry that I have been absent for the last 1,5 hours. I just checked the latest Norwegian news, and they now report a total of 9 passengers to hospital with injuries - and 3 of them are reported to be serious but doesn't give any details in that regard, and one of them has been transferred from Molde hospital to the larger Bergen university hospital.

One of the three is a 70 yo with a fracture, one is a 90 yo with several fractures, according to Danish news.

The storm is so severe that it's pushing cars off the road in Norway.

• Like 2

Thank you TrumpyNor for keeping us all informed.  I pray for the safety of all passengers and crew. 

Personally, I will wait for the facts and experts rather than guess and judge what may have caused the engine failure.  At this point, it's too early for anyone to know. 

• Like 3

Just now, just_dont said:

As rough as conditions are, especially having seen some of the videos from onboard, it's amazing there aren't more serious injuries.
Thanks for providing local updates.
Prayers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Both the weather conditions and the darkness (it is now almost 10 pm local time in Norway) makes the rescue operation take time - the rescue "forces" (not certain what they are called in English, sorry!) just announced that it might take all night and some of tomorrow as well to get everyone to safety. 

Edited by TrumpyNor