Carrying on 12 packs of soda

aggieamy55

11 minutes ago, deadmoney said:

I drink Pepsi which they do not stock so I bring my own.

Cruise on NCL.  The Diet Coke people have to purchase bottles post security out of vending machines since they serve Pepsi and you can't bring on your own.

I usually brought bottles of ice tea so it was easier to throw one in my bag and move on. But now because it has to be cans I will be carrying 12 packs of iced tea on board because they have the nastiest tasting iced tea ever  I would love to just buy a package or even buy by the cans if they only had a selection of items to choose from. 

4 minutes ago, kutty77 said:

I usually brought bottles of ice tea so it was easier to throw one in my bag and move on. But now because it has to be cans I will be carrying 12 packs of iced tea on board because they have the nastiest tasting iced tea ever  I would love to just buy a package or even buy by the cans if they only had a selection of items to choose from. 

The newer builds such as the Horizon carry at least two different varieties of bottled Honest T iced tea.  Included with Cheers, or sold a la carte.

3 minutes ago, kutty77 said:

That’s great. But it should be available on all the ships. Not everyone drinks soda. I am going on the breeze. 

Someone else will have to chime in to confirm it's available on the Breeze.  I would say it should be, but I have not been on the Breeze since 2013.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Someone else will have to chime in to confirm it's available on the Breeze.  I would say it should be, but I have not been on the Breeze since 2013.

I was on the Breeze in 2017 but I don't recall if I saw the Honest T brand there... I'm one of the rare ducks who actually likes the free iced tea onboard- I blend it with the lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer and think it's just great for me! But then I'm not a tea connoisseur so, I probably have less to judge it by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Fort Lauderdale used to have a separate beverage inspection area at check in and they tore open every carton.  The check in line was long so it was endlessly entertaining.  They pulled beers out of several 12 soda packs.  Must have been a manufacturing error. 

We were there in 2016 and thankfully that wasn't happening. No special soda line and they didn't say a word about mine. I had even replaced half the Pepsi with Dr. Pepper and taped the end with clear packing tape. I fully expected them to want to look inside because it was taped, but it went right through. Judging by everyone's recent experiences, it seems like it depends on how gung ho the security teams are feeling that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

The newer builds such as the Horizon carry at least two different varieties of bottled Honest T iced tea.  Included with Cheers, or sold a la carte.

They had them at the coffee bars on the Ecstasy and Miracle on our cruises in 2017 and 2018. I drank several of the Green Tea variety. 

1 hour ago, kutty77 said:

That’s great. But it should be available on all the ships. Not everyone drinks soda. I am going on the breeze. 

2 minutes ago, schazzy said:

They had them at the coffee bars on the Ecstasy and Miracle on our cruises in 2017 and 2018. I drank several of the Green Tea variety. 

If they were available on a Fantasy Class as well as a Spirit Class ship according to Schazzy, then they will certainly be available on the Breeze.

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

But then I'm not a tea connoisseur

No, that would be my DH, if it's from a mix or bottle, he won't touch it. He always blames me being a Yankee for why I have no problem drinking "fake tea" from a bottle. :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

We were there in 2016 and thankfully that wasn't happening. No special soda line and they didn't say a word about mine. I had even replaced half the Pepsi with Dr. Pepper and taped the end with clear packing tape. I fully expected them to want to look inside because it was taped, but it went right through. Judging by everyone's recent experiences, it seems like it depends on how gung ho the security teams are feeling that day.

The caught cruisers were being ugly so it just fueled the security people and they didn't pack their indoor voices so quite the show...

39 minutes ago, schazzy said:

No, that would be my DH, if it's from a mix or bottle, he won't touch it. He always blames me being a Yankee for why I have no problem drinking "fake tea" from a bottle. :classic_laugh:

The coffee shops carry great hot tea bags, also.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The coffee shops carry great hot tea bags, also.

Yeah, I like hot tea and the Chai and the mint teas were good. DH will only drink southern sweet tea, I'd say what he thinks of the iced tea on the ship, but we're not supposed to use that kind of language on here :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, schazzy said:

LOL! Fellow transplanted Northerner here too! When I moved to the south I couldn't understand so many people drinking (hot) tea with their meals! I didn't even know there was such a thing as iced tea til I was an adult!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alleghator said:

is it "a case of soda" for convenience, or does it literally have to be soda? Are we allowed to carry on anything in cans? Lemonade? Tea? Canned Starbucks drinks? Canned tomato juice?

any non-alcoholic beverage that comes in 12oz or less cans or cartons. 

Edited by schazzy

3 hours ago, schazzy said:

Yeah, I like hot tea and the Chai and the mint teas were good. DH will only drink southern sweet tea, I'd say what he thinks of the iced tea on the ship, but we're not supposed to use that kind of language on here :classic_laugh:

I agree the iced tea on board isn't good.  It used to be much better.  Sometimes I just use the tea bags on Lido to make iced tea.  

• Like 1

Sailing out of Galveston, our neighbors had their carton of cokes ripped open.  Fortunately, they had a beach bag to put them in.  We don't drink as much coke as we used to, so we just buy one when we want one.  I think once we got a coke package so we'd have them in the cabin.  My daughter drinks the lacroix water - not sure if she is bringing some on our upcoming cruise or not.  Her hubby may be bringing dr. pepper, but then again, he may just decide it's too much trouble.  I do plan to bring a bottle of wine & corkscrew.  We've also brought premier protein in the cartons with no problems - I think we either packed them in the suitcase & carried on or put them in a backpack.  Hubby drinks them when he works out.  I try to avoid the gym on vacation.

14 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Is it just me, or does everyone think it's ok to bring a 12-pk with them on a cruise?  Is there not enough to drink on the ship? You cant go without your favorite beverage for 7 days?  I would never waste the effort it takes to carry soda on board. To each his own, but when we left out of NOLA in Dec., i never seen so many people carrying soda on. Crazy

To me, a superior soda is a cold can, and an inferior version is from the well, watered down with ice. 

Plus, the kind I prefer isn't on board, and has a lower sugar count. Too many people act like this is the biggest hassle there is. Are we not bringing luggage on already? Since when is it inconvenient to bring things you enjoy? I know what comes next, how terrible it is to have to retrieve a drink from my room. I'm not drinking more than a can a day, if that.

• Like 1

I go on a cruise to get away from the everyday beverage and food. I guess i dont understand why you would bring something you drink "on-shore" everyday onto a cruise ship. I look at it as getting a break from the normal routine. Just because they "allow it" doesnt mean you "Have to" bring it. 

Go ahead and tell me how wrong i am, i can take it... Carry-on your 12pks... 😁

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I go on a cruise to get away from the everyday beverage and food. I guess i dont understand why you would bring something you drink "on-shore" everyday onto a cruise ship. I look at it as getting a break from the normal routine. Just because they "allow it" doesnt mean you "Have to" bring it. 

Go ahead and tell me how wrong i am, i can take it... Carry-on your 12pks... 😁

Not everyone vacations the way that you do.  There are people that drink Dr. Pepper or Mt.Dew on a daily basis similar to how people drink coffee.  Since Carnival stocks Coke products, those who need their fix of the above sodas need to bring it on.  People may broaden their horizons when it comes to sampling new foods while on a cruise, but they may want to drink what they are accustomed to.

Go over on the NCL boards and read about people needing their Coke fix on a Pepsi ship and being relegated to buying them out of a vending machine post security in Miami since you can't bring 12 packs on board at all on NCL.

• Like 1

I carry on a 12 pack of Pepsi. Unless things have changed, Carnival doesn't offer Pepsi for sell onboard. Can I go without a Pepsi for 7 days...yes...and I do quite often. I actually rarely drink soda anymore. I also often go without a mixed drink for periods of over 7 days. When I'm on a cruise vacation...I often want both. Plus...I can buy an entire 12 pack for less than the cost of TWO cans on the boat...and it's right at my fingertips when I want it. Having a Pepsi onboard..for me..makes me feel like an indulgence of sorts. I typically don't even drink all 12, and leave them in the room for the staff to keep or throw away. 🙂