Key West 1st Timer and Southernmost Point Buoy

Neachy79

Hi! In a few weeks my cruise will be in Key West from noon until 5pm. I've never been to Key West but my group of 7 does not want to pay for a tour.  Our plan looks to be a self guided "tour" to walk off the cruise food but the planner in me...needs a well thought out plan.

My thought is get off the ship and take the Duval Loop to Southernmost Point.   I would like the typical tourist photo by the buoy but I don't want to waste too much time waiting in line. How long are these lines typically? I keep hearing it's a long line but wondering what is normal...30 minutes or an hour+?   If we are talking 15 -30 minutes I'll do it but anything longer...nope I don't need a photo.  Let me know how long you waited if it was a long line. I would imagine the time of our ship arriving and seeing another ship arriving right before us it will be long.  Just trying to gauge the norm.

After seeing the buoy  I was thinking go over to Southernmost Point Café for a quick drink. Walk by Hemingway's house...no tour just take a photo by a sign and say "I was there".  Then head to Blue Heaven for Key Lime pie. Next stop the 0 Mile marker for a quick photo and then walk over to Duval Street ...stopping at shops and bars along the way as we go back towards the ship. Bar stops I have on my list: the Bull and Whistle Bar, Sloppy Joes, Capt. Tony's Saloon and World's Smallest Bar. 

Oh and I want a conch fritter but I don't know where to go for that...so let me know if you can suggest a good place along my route.

If an experienced Key West visitor can critique my plan and give any advice/tips I would greatly appreciate it.

• Like 1

The line for the bouy varies greatly with the number of ships in port. I get there go as soon as you can to beat the crowds. We took the Hop On Hop Off bus and made the mistake of riding the whole loop first, then getting off for the buoy the 2nd time around. The line had grown from about 10-15 minutes when we went by the first time to around 30 minutes when we got there on our 2nd round of the bus.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!!! We will check it out. Sounds like 20-30 minutes is a good estimate for how long it might take. That’s doable. I was worried the line was like 1 hour+...and I rather spend that hour seeking key lime pie or a rum runner. ☺️

If you were to walk up Whitehead instead of the Loop you'd walk by the Mile Marker 0 (snap) the Hemingway house (snap) right onto Petronia for Blue Heaven (savor, snap) Back to Duval for the Lighthouse (snap) then hit the Southernmost Point (snap, snap). Walk one block over on South Street to Duval and the Southernmost café (snap, chew, sip), then down Duval where everything else is (snap, snap, snap) except for Tony's which is 1/2 block over on Greene (snap).

A few blocks more down Duval and you're at the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort (snap) for the views and maybe a farewell Bloody Mary (slurp)

Pjk      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, peter_krynicki said:

If you were to walk up Whitehead instead of the Loop you'd walk by the Mile Marker 0 (snap) the Hemingway house (snap) right onto Petronia for Blue Heaven (savor, snap) Back to Duval for the Lighthouse (snap) then hit the Southernmost Point (snap, snap). Walk one block over on South Street to Duval and the Southernmost café (snap, chew, sip), then down Duval where everything else is (snap, snap, snap) except for Tony's which is 1/2 block over on Greene (snap).

A few blocks more down Duval and you're at the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort (snap) for the views and maybe a farewell Bloody Mary (slurp)

Pjk      

Thank you!!!!  Sounds great!!!!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Grumpy Husband said:

Neachy 79...Here are a couple of videos that may help you out to see where the places you named are, and see what the walk will be like.

Video 1 Mallory Square to Southard St.

Video 2 Southard St. to Southenmost Point

Video 3 Southernmost Point to Casa Marina.

Nice!!!  I had to follow your page.  Love the videos!

• 3 years later...
On 3/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, peter_krynicki said:

Pjk      

It's been a few years since this was written on the thread but oh boy am I doing this! Thanks @peter_krynickifor the witty idea and @Neachy79for making me feel less alone because I like a well-thought out plan. Looking forward to getting around by walking and getting on and off the Duval Loop come January 2023! Sooo excited. I know where to get my Key Lime pie but now need to search for conch fritters. 🙂 What else should I try, food-wise, while in Key West?

8 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

It's been a few years since this was written on the thread but oh boy am I doing this! Thanks @peter_krynickifor the witty idea and @Neachy79for making me feel less alone because I like a well-thought out plan. Looking forward to getting around by walking and getting on and off the Duval Loop come January 2023! Sooo excited. I know where to get my Key Lime pie but now need to search for conch fritters. 🙂 What else should I try, food-wise, while in Key West?

Hello Dreamer68, yes it has been a couple years since I posted here, but my videos are still good and I do have several others on my Youtube page (Grumpy Husband) As far as conch fritters, try The Conch Shack on Duval Street between Front and Greene. I am not a fritter fan, but they do have cracked conch which I love and it is served with fries. As far as food, you. might want to try El Mason De Pepe's at Mallory Square for some good Cuban food. 

• Thanks 1