Currency for Danube cruise

RTLS

We have an Avalon cruise booked for September - Prague to Budapest.

CZK for Prague, Forint for Budapest and Euros for the German and Austrian ports.

My question is how do we get the coins that I am told we will need for washrooms and other small purchases. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get those from here and, of course the ATM's in each country won't disburse them.

Is it possible to exchange bills for coins on board our ship.?

Thanks for any help

When you make your first purchase, use bills and you will receive some change in the local currency - you can even ask for coins instead of bills (ex: 5 euro bill - ask for coins). I have never attempted to acquire coins on board ship - never had the need & I yearly travel to Europe.

Hopefully, someone with experience can tell you whether or not Avalon carries coins in local currency of ports visited.

1 hour ago, thunter1224 said:

Great Question.. I know you have to pay for restrooms .. is there public restrooms, or just the ones in the restaurants and public buildings? 

Depends on where you are. There are restrooms in which you pay and there are free restrooms (i.e., restaurants).

We rarely need to use a pay toilet on river cruises - we usually stop at a cafe for a drink or snack and use the facilities free of charge. Italy is another matter - we do avail ourselves of pay facilities as they are few and far between (thinking Rome & Venice).

We just completed a Danube river cruise with stops in Germany, Austria, Slovakia & Hungary - didn't pay for the toilets once! We also did a 7 day pre cruise extension in Munich and did need to utilize the pay facilities in Hohenschwangau after visiting Neuschwanstein Castle - 2 euros - easy peasy.

36 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

This is the cruise we will be on to.. and can you tell me if we will have much trouble shopping , eating , getting around in towns   Only speaking English ?? 

You will have no problems at all. Shops, restaurants, historic sites, etc. - all speak English in the tourist areas.

14 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

Great Question.. I know you have to pay for restrooms .. is there public restrooms, or just the ones in the restaurants and public buildings? 

We have travelled to Europe every year for over a decade, and I rarely have to pay for a restroom, even though I have the world's worst bladder lol.
If we are ready for a coffee or drink, we go to a cafe, but otherwise I will walk into a cafe or bistro and simply ask to use the toilets.  No-one has ever said no.  I wouldn't try to use them without asking though, that would be quite rude.

The big hotels always have toilets in the foyer area, so if there are no cafes, just stroll into the hotel as if you are staying there.

Having said that, I wish we had more paid toilets here in Australia, because generally they are clean, well stocked with toilet paper and soap etc. and there is usually an attendant which makes you feel a lot safer.

You will have no language problems, but I strongly advise learning a few phrases, particularly hello, goodbye, please and thankyou.  Saying hello to the shopkeeper in Europe, particularly France, is a vital part of their culture and it is not appreciated if you don't do it.