Pros/Cons of paying off your cruise prior to Final Payment due date

txflood33

12 hours ago, cl.klink said:

BTW, in stateroom 8115, was the outside washing equipment always parked in front of your balcony? I am in the room on Connie and I found a website that said this.

- Joel

It was NOT an issue, but remember this was the S class of ship , the Solstice, and the Connie is an M class, so it might be parked there.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, jwojo said:

The major drawback for US cruisers is that if there is a price reduction after you pay in full early, you will only get OBC for the reduction amount.

Not correct

We Paid balance about 2 weeks before the "inside 90 days" window and our rate went down $200 pp before that final payment (90) 

Called TA and Celebrity refunded the $200 back to our credit card. No issues

On 3/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, LA_CA_GAL said:

Here is a reason to pay early.

I got a new credit card.  If I spend $5,000 in the first three months, they will credit me $500.

So I charged my cruise with this card and got a free $500.

I am doing the same!  😅

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, WAVTAM said:

Just the opposite. We only book AFTER final payment is due and the saving can be up to 60-70% better.

We usually do this as well.... pick the cruise based on the deal.... This still works pretty well on Celebrity... but you have to be flexible in terms of itinerary, dates and cabin location... if you like to do things fairly spur of the moment... I still find this works pretty well. But if you have your heart set on an itinerary that is not offered that frequently or say a holiday timeframe... probably better to book earlier. late 2017 we booked a nice veranda cabin on a 12 night cruise for $2000 total for two with taxes... booked 5 weeks before sailing... great cruise... 1A cabin on hump...so larger veranda.

I too see no reason to pre pay. I want to hold on to the money... just in case something comes up and I need the cash... Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't happen in the future.

I am another one who puts down only the minimum initial deposit required and then pays nothing more until the final payment date. 

There is no good reason to pay any sooner than necessary,  unless I can gain an additional benefit as an incentive to do so.  

A good example is receiving an additional credit card bonus, as others have  mentioned.

But if you watch your timing, you can wait until the final payment date to pay for the cruise and still receive the credit card bonus as well.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:58 AM, WAVTAM said:

It was NOT an issue, but remember this was the S class of ship , the Solstice, and the Connie is an M class, so it might be parked there.

Thanks,

- Joel

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

If you book onboard you only need to put down a reduced deposit.  Are you saying you’d insist on paying more?

On our cruise, a couple insisted on paying $500 deposit when only $200 was required.  "Less to pay on the final payment".  

I normally wait until final payment is due looking for price drops but my cruise in November is now $1000 more per person than when we booked.  I figured unless a huge number of cancellations happen there will be no price drop so I paid off the cruise off about 3 months before final payment was due. 

And if if it does happen to go down in price then the refund will go to an upgrade somewhere else on the trip or toward another booked cruise. 

I noted earlier... that if you have the time and are flexible.. it is sometime better to wait until after the 90 final payment. Usually we book about within the 90 day period... but last cruise I booked on next cruise.. $200 deposit on a cruise 6 months out. Well later we changed cruises... promotion was the same as the original one... but it was a cheaper itinerary.. so went for it... then months later another price drop and I was able to get a 1A cabin for $1459/pp with one perk... 11 night S Caribbean itinerary. Well not the 90 payment period has passed and the cabin next to mine is going for $1149 with no perk. At this point irrelevant that it is non refundable. the savings vs one perk was more than enough to cover gratuities... all they could do was upgrade me to another cabin... but I like the cabin location...large veranda. So next cruise... I think I will go back to picking a few itineraries and then track until one hits a good price. Given very low interest rates... having the cruise line sit on my deposit... is no big deal.. but at some point when interest rates rise... better that I hold on to my money as long as possible. Savings in this particular case is minor... but it demonstrates what I have observed... but again it really comes down to flexibility... the more flexible you are.. the more it makes sense to wait until later to book