WiFi?

Redtravel

Has anyone used the ship WiFi lately?  2 years ago we had unlimited WiFi kn one cruise. it was extremely slow. Trying to decide whether or not to buy WiFi for our April cruise.  The plans confuse me.  200 MB?  500 MBs?  How does this relate to minutes?  

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you need data while you are cruising, I suggest enabling international roaming on your cell phone plan OR buying a prepaid SIM card depending on where you are going and who your carrier is.  If you give me some details, I may be able to help.

For example - I have T-Mobile (great for international travel).  I have 10GB/month in the USA and internationally.  For my upcoming Tahiti cruise .... I will not use the ship wifi.  I will use my cell service, and use my phone as a hotspot.    The cost is FREE. 

All the best. Happy Travels

3 hours ago, msears101 said:

Unless you need data while you are cruising, I suggest enabling international roaming on your cell phone plan OR buying a prepaid SIM card depending on where you are going and who your carrier is.  If you give me some details, I may be able to help.

For example - I have T-Mobile (great for international travel).  I have 10GB/month in the USA and internationally.  For my upcoming Tahiti cruise .... I will not use the ship wifi.  I will use my cell service, and use my phone as a hotspot.    The cost is FREE. 

All the best. Happy Travels

But only when you have regular shore based cell service. If you’re out of range and roam to “on waves” you’ll burn through thousands of dollars before you know it. I had t-mobile block them from my account. 

2 hours ago, msears101 said:

Good point @milepig  I keep my cell service off when I am on the boat, just in case.  I forgot to mention it.  I might call t-mobile to block "waves" .  I did not know they could do that.  Thanks for the tip!

Service is usually OK for the first hour or so outside port and when you're in places like the Med you often have pretty steady shore service - I watch the bars and shut the phone down when they start to get iffy. After all, we're on vacation, and things can wait until the next morning!!

A fun event was when we were cruising through the straits of Gibralter and my phone picked up cell service in Morocco.  We joke that my phone went to Morocco but we didn't.

So far, the only place my Simple Choice plan didn't apply was French Polynesia (and, of course, On Waves.)

• Like 1