Vision: Our family sees a different side of Royal

51 minutes ago, BrandFam4 said:

Anxious to hear more of your review. We have Vision booked for an October cruise over a long weekend, but still not sure we will keep it. We grabbed it with the last kids sail free promo (and paid the little extra for a refundable deposit). But it would require we miss school, dance, and baseball, etc etc etc. Still going back and forth on it. Deciding whether to cruise or not should be an easy decision! 😃

Not always - we learned our lesson once when taking a cruise that left January 2nd - the kids only missed a couple days of school that year, and my oldest none as her college break was longer - but for my youngest it meant instead of getting the lead part in the spring play he got a supporting role - he was really bummed but ultimately fine with it and it all turned out well in the end but I didn't realize then, at that time of the year, what missing a few days of something could impact.  I felt for him as I would have lobbied for another week if I'd known the impact but by the time we found out we had multiple cabins booked for a family cruise.

Another over Thanksgiving the oldest's college professor gave her tons of grief for missing a Monday class before Thanksgiving - thankfully the younger 2 both went to a school that got the whole week off then but we've found what was easier when they were younger got tougher and had more impact when they got older.  And just a few weeks ago we used the youngest's college spring break as an excuse to get away and had a great cruise that worked with the schedule.  As he graduates in just over a month it will be the last one before we're worried about school schedules again until we have future grandchildren and want to take them 🙂

2 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Not always - we learned our lesson once when taking a cruise that left January 2nd - the kids only missed a couple days of school that year, and my oldest none as her college break was longer - but for my youngest it meant instead of getting the lead part in the spring play he got a supporting role - he was really bummed but ultimately fine with it and it all turned out well in the end but I didn't realize then, at that time of the year, what missing a few days of something could impact.  I felt for him as I would have lobbied for another week if I'd known the impact but by the time we found out we had multiple cabins booked for a family cruise.

Another over Thanksgiving the oldest's college professor gave her tons of grief for missing a Monday class before Thanksgiving - thankfully the younger 2 both went to a school that got the whole week off then but we've found what was easier when they were younger got tougher and had more impact when they got older.  And just a few weeks ago we used the youngest's college spring break as an excuse to get away and had a great cruise that worked with the schedule.  As he graduates in just over a month it will be the last one before we're worried about school schedules again until we have future grandchildren and want to take them 🙂

I know its hard. We can't travel during holidays due to my husband's work schedule. So we try to squeeze in trips elsewhere. We have that Friday off already so they would only miss the Thursday and Monday of school. I guess we have until final payment deadline to agonize over it!

6 minutes ago, BrandFam4 said:

I know its hard. We can't travel during holidays due to my husband's work schedule. So we try to squeeze in trips elsewhere. We have that Friday off already so they would only miss the Thursday and Monday of school. I guess we have until final payment deadline to agonize over it!

Those times it always seemed easier to pull it off since most will make it a long weekend with that Friday off!  Yep, when DH was in law enforcement he could more easily adjust his shift schedule if it wasn't a holiday sail!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, dwhe said:

I've had that mint thing happen to me so many times on a cruise, now I know why 😀

Me too!! That's why I couldn't get a mojito the two times I asked on Oasis?! Kind of crazy. lol

You would think that if they order enough mint for the entire cruise but don’t start using it until later in the week, they would have enough left over for the following cruise until they find the new supply. 

• Like 1

Hello Wayne! Just had time to stop into CC & saw your review..... Nice read.

Glad you enjoyed Roatan.

The ship WAS rockin' & rollin' but I have to say I've been on worse ships (that were even larger)… has to do with the weather. None of our group had any issues with it...other than trying not to fall! LOL .

We got home Monday only to find that my Mom had fallen over night & within 30 minutes of arriving home, we had dropped our luggage & got her to the hospital. She stayed over a week & is currently in a rehab facility for at least 2 weeks...……. {BIG SIGH}. She is getting better....but we had to cancel our upcoming cruise (end of April) that we were REALLY looking forward to. Oh Well.

We enjoyed meeting your family. Glad you guys enjoyed the Vision...she is a GREAT ship.... we enjoy that you can just relax & enjoy a cruise instead of running here & there doing everything a ship has to offer. Our grand girls loved AO... they went every day for a little while.

Maybe we'll meet again. We (but haven't yet - been too busy with Mom) will look for you on TV!

• Like 1

Day 5: Birthday & bad luck in Costa Maya

d8081b6ca6d7bddf59804f972e922582.jpg

eee01534c36d0456e1dcba5a6df87d82.jpg

We sailed in this morning, moving a little slowly after the 70's party the night before.

As I get older, I keep wondering when 70's night is going to be replaced with 80"s night.

We are in Costa Maya until 7pm tonight -- so we felt no need to rush off the ship.

We got the morning started in Adventure Ocean, I joined the girls up there for a science class on bugs. There were just a few kids up there, and it was more the speed my girls were used to.

They had a ball and wanted to stay but I told them it was my birthday and I wanted to spend some time on the beach.

So about 11:30 or so we headed ashore and fought our way through the port shops trying to get out of the complex and catch a cab.

I spotted what I always do on a RCI cruise. Someone painting the ship. Never fails. Every voyage, we always find someone on a port day with a bucket of paint throwing on another layer. I can’t imagine how many layers of paint must be on the side of these ships. But I love how much work they put into the maintenance of their ships.

4cb1f59dfe82f7f9886321b9aab415b8.jpg

It's been a long time since we were here. 10 years ago, in fact and boy has the place changed.

I can't even begin to describe the difficulty to fight through the crowds and shops to exit the port facility, they really try hard to keep you from finding a cab.

You have to go all the way to the left, around a corner, down a narrow sidewalk, through a gate and then -- cab stands!

wow!

Anyway we all crammed in a little Nissan Sentra and headed to the Malecon.... a boardwalk area in the little village just next to Costa Maya.

We were headed to Tropicante restaurant. We stressed out this day a lot.

Dolphins --- won't do them for ethical reasons (gone back and forth on this, but that's the current position)

Water Park --- youngest so little --- and oldest accident prone.

Ruins --- Kids won't get it.

Zip lining --- (see water park)

So that left a beach day. But everyone always says the water here can be so murky/brown from the sea grass. I looked at pics from many highly rated beach clubs and I just never saw water that looked like I would get in it.

So I planned on lunch at the Tropicante restaurant which came highly recommended and I'm told they had a little beach area kinds could enjoy while we were there.

Well....

We hop out the cab and are immediately accosted by several people from a restaurant trying to get us to follow them.

One man was extra persistent and kept telling me he was with Tropicante. But he had on the same shirt as people who identified themselves as being with another restaurant.

My plan walk away fast and ignore him. But --- that was hard with family in toe.

Somehow I missed the sign for the Tropicante and was a bit lost on the beach. The waiter chased me down again and kept insisting he was with tropicante. He led me directly to the sign for the restaurant on the beach, walked me through the opening and said "See I was trying to tell you" then as we walk into the Tropicante's beach area he says, "Now I have a VIP area for you over here and hangs a right"

We sit down and he immediate takes a drink and snack order without a menu, "What do you want? anything just tell me and we'll get it" So we ordered 2 mojitos , 2 lemonades. The kids were hungry and wanted nachos and fries as well.

My wife is telling me to relax, don't be so untrusting, it's beautiful just relax,

I'm like, “I don't trust him.”

He brought us our drinks and we sat down and sipped them just as an older man sits next to us and introduces himself as our waiter's dad. He tries to sell my wife on a bracelet that looks like something my daughter would make in art glass for $350. I keep looking at my wife with a side eye trying to make sure she was ok, she never gave me a look of help, that I saw.

f51453a9049bb617787944d481538f47.jpg

Well those two haggled and got the price down to $20.

After he leaves she says, "I've never been so pressured, you should have helped me" My bad. I was relaxed! I didn't know if she wanted the bracelet or not.

Anyway we get menu's now and I'm looking at this menu and it's not the menu I looked at online for Tropicante. A huge red flag was lobster.

When I made a reservation with the owner of Tropicante I asked if they served lobster and he said no, he just didn't feel comfortable with the way it was handled locally, and didn't want to risk anyone getting sick. So he didn't sell it. But there was lobster on the menu.

This was not Tropicante. I stood up, started to pack the stuff up and told my wife what I realized.

She asked if she should stay anyway, and I said no way, not with someone who lies to this extent to get business.

So the family walks over to the Tropicante sign and we find staff and explain what happened. They walked with me into the neighboring restaurant and confront the manager.

A lot of words were exchanged in Spanish. The other restaurant worker claimed I came to Tropicante and didn't like the looks of it, and chose their restaurant instead.

Another total lie.

I was handed a bill for the drinks (2 mojitos and 2 kids lemonades) and an order of nachos and fries we hadn't received yet and told them we didn't want at all.
The bill was $87!!!!

I was like oh no! No way.

Tropicante fought on my behalf, they were trying to call the police and I said no. I just wanted to enjoy my day and go sit down.

We compromised on $43 which again was way too much but I wanted out of there.

We finally got to the real Tropicante and sat down and I rarely lose my cool but I did this day, I was livid. The staff insisted I have a shot to calm me down.

Again, I'm not a drinker, and not one to do shots at all! And if you ask me to name one type of alcohol I wouldn't drink it would be tequila. But there I was with a shot of their, "best tequila" and my wife peer pressuring me to do it.

3be94dfa2ef2c119e8c67010d5e6125f.jpg

So I rang in 41 years with a shot of tequila, on a chaise lounge finally in the right restaurant.

Now... let me just say --- this place was beautiful.

0b484602c9c9378cf3119d117f40a560.jpg

I can't imagine needing a beach club. We had chaise loungers right on the water, and the water was hazy, not crystal clear but it was in no way brown and murky. They girls jumped in, I got on wifi and ordered a corona.

57c6eb4f2144233ad8990a67cc35bef1.jpg

I got in the water with the girls and played all sorts of funny games with them. We could see the ships from where we were and saw Norwegian Breakway leaving to head home.

a466e8cd0156284b28872894b5baa876.jpg

We ordered lunch -- I had fish tacos and when I say it was the best fish I've eaten in a very very long time. Like it was amazingly fresh, and light, and I inhaled those tacos. My wife had a "Taste" of my rice and beans and well there wasn't much left, so I looked at out waiter and ordered another plate.

f6c18f8be129847afa246cb7493d4c2e.jpg

They were that good.

We enjoyed a lazy afternoon at the beach and soaked up the mexican shoreline and sparkling sun.

Even will full lunches and drinks and our fill of everything here at the real Tropicate our bill was $43 dollars. Nothing like the $87 for four drinks next door.

We lived our day here after all, and we will go back. Tropicante was wonderful...once we figured out where to go lol

The staff there also walked us to the taxi so we were safe and then we headed back to the ship.

Headed back to the ship as I had my annual birthday massage scheduled in the spa with a $50 port day birthday special. That's RCI.

I came back, escaping the spa upsell just in time for sailaway.

We headed out to the balcony to soak up the rare after sunset sailaway, only to see am ambulance headed down the pier.

234a7d8e3b21556273eccc93557ff440.jpg

This hurt my heart. Someone was leaving the ship, sick. We saw crew carrying off suitcases and then a man on a stretcher, and his wife who looked so upset.

Of all places to have to leave the ship. You're near no major city, or airport.

246a9afd08ef88d0809fac20eadc9aa3.jpg

We said a little prayer and then enjoyed sail away before the four of us got dressed and headed to Giovanni's for my birthday dinner.

Amazing meal here, and fantastic service yet again.

I can't get over how nice the specialty restaurants are on this ship. The food was very very well prepared and the staff was so wonderful.

I got sang to, and a special dessert brought over from Chops (it's like they could read my mind, that I don't really like the dessert at Giovanni) I think they must have looked to see what the wife and I ordered at Chops 2 nights earlier, because I got the lemon cheesecake again and I adored it.

I think we hit up a show after this --- but to be honest I don't recall.

But it was a very long day, but another wonderful one with fantastic service onboard the Vision of the Seas.

Up Next --- Finally trying something new in Cozumel.... the beach! [emoji2363]

• Like 5

Hello Wayne! Just had time to stop into CC & saw your review..... Nice read.

Glad you enjoyed Roatan.

The ship WAS rockin' & rollin' but I have to say I've been on worse ships (that were even larger)… has to do with the weather. None of our group had any issues with it...other than trying not to fall! LOL .

We got home Monday only to find that my Mom had fallen over night & within 30 minutes of arriving home, we had dropped our luggage & got her to the hospital. She stayed over a week & is currently in a rehab facility for at least 2 weeks...……. {BIG SIGH}. She is getting better....but we had to cancel our upcoming cruise (end of April) that we were REALLY looking forward to. Oh Well.

We enjoyed meeting your family. Glad you guys enjoyed the Vision...she is a GREAT ship.... we enjoy that you can just relax & enjoy a cruise instead of running here & there doing everything a ship has to offer. Our grand girls loved AO... they went every day for a little while.

Maybe we'll meet again. We (but haven't yet - been too busy with Mom) will look for you on TV!

Lynn, I’m so very sorry about your Mom. I truly hope the recovery goes smoothly.

I hate you had to cancel next months cruise. I’m really sorry. But as someone who lost their mom I can tell you’ll always treasure those moments you were there just making sure she was ok.

It was our pleasure to cruise with you guys and thanks for all the great advice.

We know the weather wasn’t in our favor, and we’ve had much worst Seas on larger ships too!

I simply meant Vision doesn’t seem to handle the minor swells as well as Oasis.

But you’ll find that out when we finally convince you guys to try her out one day. [emoji16]

In the meantime, we’ll have to grab lunch one day. And yes.... get you to change the channel to see what we have to offer!

I promise it’s MUCH LESS CRIME

All the best!

• Haha 1

Mint is often used as a garnish on the desserts. On our next cruise I will have to notice if there is any the first night or two or of it doesn’t show up until later in the week. 

Now I will say this.... I’m a mojito king and I have them on all cruises.

It was only two (three now) out of 20+ cruises where the mint was missing until the second sea day.

Then there was one where they had it, ran out, then magically got some more on a sea day again. Lol

3 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Day 5: Birthday & bad luck in Costa Maya

d8081b6ca6d7bddf59804f972e922582.jpg

eee01534c36d0456e1dcba5a6df87d82.jpg

We sailed in this morning, moving a little slowly after the 70's party the night before.

As I get older, I keep wondering when 70's night is going to be replaced with 80"s night.

We are in Costa Maya until 7pm tonight -- so we felt no need to rush off the ship.

We got the morning started in Adventure Ocean, I joined the girls up there for a science class on bugs. There were just a few kids up there, and it was more the speed my girls were used to.

They had a ball and wanted to stay but I told them it was my birthday and I wanted to spend some time on the beach.

So about 11:30 or so we headed ashore and fought our way through the port shops trying to get out of the complex and catch a cab.

I spotted what I always do on a RCI cruise. Someone painting the ship. Never fails. Every voyage, we always find someone on a port day with a bucket of paint throwing on another layer. I can’t imagine how many layers of paint must be on the side of these ships. But I love how much work they put into the maintenance of their ships.

4cb1f59dfe82f7f9886321b9aab415b8.jpg

It's been a long time since we were here. 10 years ago, in fact and boy has the place changed.

I can't even begin to describe the difficulty to fight through the crowds and shops to exit the port facility, they really try hard to keep you from finding a cab.

You have to go all the way to the left, around a corner, down a narrow sidewalk, through a gate and then -- cab stands!

wow!

Anyway we all crammed in a little Nissan Sentra and headed to the Malecon.... a boardwalk area in the little village just next to Costa Maya.

We were headed to Tropicante restaurant. We stressed out this day a lot.

Dolphins --- won't do them for ethical reasons (gone back and forth on this, but that's the current position)

Water Park --- youngest so little --- and oldest accident prone.

Ruins --- Kids won't get it.

Zip lining --- (see water park)

So that left a beach day. But everyone always says the water here can be so murky/brown from the sea grass. I looked at pics from many highly rated beach clubs and I just never saw water that looked like I would get in it.

So I planned on lunch at the Tropicante restaurant which came highly recommended and I'm told they had a little beach area kinds could enjoy while we were there.

Well....

We hop out the cab and are immediately accosted by several people from a restaurant trying to get us to follow them.

One man was extra persistent and kept telling me he was with Tropicante. But he had on the same shirt as people who identified themselves as being with another restaurant.

My plan walk away fast and ignore him. But --- that was hard with family in toe.

Somehow I missed the sign for the Tropicante and was a bit lost on the beach. The waiter chased me down again and kept insisting he was with tropicante. He led me directly to the sign for the restaurant on the beach, walked me through the opening and said "See I was trying to tell you" then as we walk into the Tropicante's beach area he says, "Now I have a VIP area for you over here and hangs a right"

We sit down and he immediate takes a drink and snack order without a menu, "What do you want? anything just tell me and we'll get it" So we ordered 2 mojitos , 2 lemonades. The kids were hungry and wanted nachos and fries as well.

My wife is telling me to relax, don't be so untrusting, it's beautiful just relax,

I'm like, “I don't trust him.”

He brought us our drinks and we sat down and sipped them just as an older man sits next to us and introduces himself as our waiter's dad. He tries to sell my wife on a bracelet that looks like something my daughter would make in art glass for $350. I keep looking at my wife with a side eye trying to make sure she was ok, she never gave me a look of help, that I saw.

f51453a9049bb617787944d481538f47.jpg

Well those two haggled and got the price down to $20.

After he leaves she says, "I've never been so pressured, you should have helped me" My bad. I was relaxed! I didn't know if she wanted the bracelet or not.

Anyway we get menu's now and I'm looking at this menu and it's not the menu I looked at online for Tropicante. A huge red flag was lobster.

When I made a reservation with the owner of Tropicante I asked if they served lobster and he said no, he just didn't feel comfortable with the way it was handled locally, and didn't want to risk anyone getting sick. So he didn't sell it. But there was lobster on the menu.

This was not Tropicante. I stood up, started to pack the stuff up and told my wife what I realized.

She asked if she should stay anyway, and I said no way, not with someone who lies to this extent to get business.

So the family walks over to the Tropicante sign and we find staff and explain what happened. They walked with me into the neighboring restaurant and confront the manager.

A lot of words were exchanged in Spanish. The other restaurant worker claimed I came to Tropicante and didn't like the looks of it, and chose their restaurant instead.

Another total lie.

I was handed a bill for the drinks (2 mojitos and 2 kids lemonades) and an order of nachos and fries we hadn't received yet and told them we didn't want at all.
The bill was $87!!!!

I was like oh no! No way.

Tropicante fought on my behalf, they were trying to call the police and I said no. I just wanted to enjoy my day and go sit down.

We compromised on $43 which again was way too much but I wanted out of there.

We finally got to the real Tropicante and sat down and I rarely lose my cool but I did this day, I was livid. The staff insisted I have a shot to calm me down.

Again, I'm not a drinker, and not one to do shots at all! And if you ask me to name one type of alcohol I wouldn't drink it would be tequila. But there I was with a shot of their, "best tequila" and my wife peer pressuring me to do it.

3be94dfa2ef2c119e8c67010d5e6125f.jpg

So I rang in 41 years with a shot of tequila, on a chaise lounge finally in the right restaurant.

Now... let me just say --- this place was beautiful.

0b484602c9c9378cf3119d117f40a560.jpg

I can't imagine needing a beach club. We had chaise loungers right on the water, and the water was hazy, not crystal clear but it was in no way brown and murky. They girls jumped in, I got on wifi and ordered a corona.

57c6eb4f2144233ad8990a67cc35bef1.jpg

I got in the water with the girls and played all sorts of funny games with them. We could see the ships from where we were and saw Norwegian Breakway leaving to head home.

a466e8cd0156284b28872894b5baa876.jpg

We ordered lunch -- I had fish tacos and when I say it was the best fish I've eaten in a very very long time. Like it was amazingly fresh, and light, and I inhaled those tacos. My wife had a "Taste" of my rice and beans and well there wasn't much left, so I looked at out waiter and ordered another plate.

f6c18f8be129847afa246cb7493d4c2e.jpg

They were that good.

We enjoyed a lazy afternoon at the beach and soaked up the mexican shoreline and sparkling sun.

Even will full lunches and drinks and our fill of everything here at the real Tropicate our bill was $43 dollars. Nothing like the $87 for four drinks next door.

We lived our day here after all, and we will go back. Tropicante was wonderful...once we figured out where to go lol

The staff there also walked us to the taxi so we were safe and then we headed back to the ship.

Headed back to the ship as I had my annual birthday massage scheduled in the spa with a $50 port day birthday special. That's RCI.

I came back, escaping the spa upsell just in time for sailaway.

We headed out to the balcony to soak up the rare after sunset sailaway, only to see am ambulance headed down the pier.

234a7d8e3b21556273eccc93557ff440.jpg

This hurt my heart. Someone was leaving the ship, sick. We saw crew carrying off suitcases and then a man on a stretcher, and his wife who looked so upset.

Of all places to have to leave the ship. You're near no major city, or airport.

246a9afd08ef88d0809fac20eadc9aa3.jpg

We said a little prayer and then enjoyed sail away before the four of us got dressed and headed to Giovanni's for my birthday dinner.

Amazing meal here, and fantastic service yet again.

I can't get over how nice the specialty restaurants are on this ship. The food was very very well prepared and the staff was so wonderful.

I got sang to, and a special dessert brought over from Chops (it's like they could read my mind, that I don't really like the dessert at Giovanni) I think they must have looked to see what the wife and I ordered at Chops 2 nights earlier, because I got the lemon cheesecake again and I adored it.

I think we hit up a show after this --- but to be honest I don't recall.

But it was a very long day, but another wonderful one with fantastic service onboard the Vision of the Seas.

Up Next --- Finally trying something new in Cozumel.... the beach! emoji2363.png

OMG! What a day! Glad it all worked out for you!

We had a mishap as well there..... we had pre-booked the Maya Chan Beach Resort which is further down the beach from where y'all went (we've been there a few times before)...we received email instructions with a map showing us the easiest way to get out to the taxis.... we got out...long walk....then another long walk to where Maya Chan picks up their guests...once there, the rep from the beach resort tells us with all the high wind, the beach was covered in seaweed & that their staff was clearing it as fast as they could, but wasn't able to keep up with it & said they'd be happy to refund our $. So, we opted for that. We didn't want to risk doing what you guys did, so we went back into the port area & tried to find another excursion...no one could agree on any one thing, so we just decided to go back to the ship & make this day our "stay on the ship day"...which was originally planned for Cozumel.... so , we just decided to stay in the pool most of the day....having it almost to ourselves was wonderful.

So, in Cozumel, our favorite beach area is Mr. Sanchos & we decided we'd just grab a cab & go there (without reservations - which we have always had reservations in the past..but since there weren't too many ships in port that day - we just decided it'd be ok)…. so off we go...grab a cab & drive to Mr. Sanchos….get to the gate & were asked if we had reservations.... nope. No entry...they were full. So now what? I was trying to get the family to try Paradise Beach, as I've always heard it was awesome...but they opted for Playa Mia... a great water park for kiddos...and a beach. The grand girls had a blast there.... they rode the water slides & played in the water park & swam... then we ate lunch which was pretty good...the guacamole was delicious! So, that turned out good.

After seeing the water at the Tropicante where y'all went in Costa Maya...the seaweed didn't look all that bad.... guess we should have tried that.

Glad all turned out good for y'all.... in Costa Maya.... you gotta watch out for the "land sharks".... we were told to ignore them & not to believe them when they say they are reps for whatever beach area you want to go to...because they get paid on commission & they are hungry for your $.

Edited by SRV FAN

We are going to Costa Maya in a couple of months and I was wondering about Tropicante.  How DO you get there??  How do you really know when you are at the right place??  Could someone shed some light on this, please??  Thank you.

11 minutes ago, mimi7ccr said:

We are going to Costa Maya in a couple of months and I was wondering about Tropicante.  How DO you get there??  How do you really know when you are at the right place??  Could someone shed some light on this, please??  Thank you.

You may also want to try the Costa Maya forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/102-costa-maya/

3 hours ago, mimi7ccr said:

All Tropicante staff wear shirt with Topicante on it.insist on a menu before you order to check you are at the right place.

Beach bars at Costa Maya are literally next door to each other, separated by an imaginary line, rope or change of loungers.

• Like 1

Hi !

Our taxi dropped us off at Calle cherna, you can see the beach from the road.

Walk pass all the people at the corner toward the beach and when you get to the boardwalk turn left.

Tropicante is the second building after you make the turn.

Go in building first. To make sure you’re in the right place

All tropicante staff had pink shirts on that said tropicante

Ignore the people in green shirts

That’s the place next door.

• Like 2