Anchorage to Seward transfers?

lem_100

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Glad to know you will be traveling along "vicariously" with us during this adventure.  I plan to do a live/blog as we travel during this upcoming late July trip

I have a copy of this incredible book that details every mile of an Alaska cruise in words, picture and great maps.Wonderful history included and very well-written. Send me your address and I'll loan it to you. jgallup77@gmail.com.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, JohnGinPBG said:

I have a copy of this incredible book that details every mile of an Alaska cruise in words, picture and great maps.Wonderful history included and very well-written. Send me your address and I'll loan it to you. jgallup77@gmail.com.

YES!!  Super appreciate your very kind offer to loan that interesting book.  We are now less than three month until we depart for Calgary, Banff, Jasper, the Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure and Vancouver.  Then on July 25, we board the Silver Muse.  Getting closer!!  But, much time to continue researching, planning and preparing.  Have follow-up by e-mail this morning.  If you do not see it, check your spam folder or post again here on this CC thread.  Great sharing!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 28,041 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

On 4/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, JohnGinPBG said:

I have a copy of this incredible book that details every mile of an Alaska cruise in words, picture and great maps.Wonderful history included and very well-written.

YES!!  John is a man of his word.  Promise made.  Promise kept!!  Received that book this week.  Below is a visual of its cover.  Maybe others can try finding it through their library, doing an inter-library loan/search and/or ordering from Amazon.  Have not had a chance to read it, yet.  Also has a very detailed map.  Will definitely be bringing it along for our adventure and to help us understand more as to what we are seeing and experiencing.  Today is 90 days until we depart on the Silver Muse from Vancouver.  

THANKS to John!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,939 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Below is the cover of the book that John just sent.  Looks good!!.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

912131335_CMA_14672.thumb.jpg.f39eec894280612c75c8d1ae790ee41f.jpg

• Like 1

For the author/speaker on our July 25 Vancouver to Alaska Silver Muse cruise, I put in a request to our local library and have back four of the books written by Edward Larson.  Talked today with a key history expert who has read and enjoyed two of his books.  Plus, he previous had heard and met Mr. Larson when he was here to do a program at Ohio State University.  My friends rated him an excellent speaker and very knowledgeable on many key topics.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,919 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Here are four of the books by Edward Larson that I obtained from our Columbus Metropolitan Library system.  This will keep me busy!!.:

651683210_CMA_14701.jpg.9d0daec4a6958110e0b9dd4cb4378e5c.jpg

4 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  John is a man of his word.  Promise made.  Promise kept!!  Received that book this week.  Below is a visual of its cover.  Maybe others can try finding it through their library, doing an inter-library loan/search and/or ordering from Amazon.  

Glad you got the book, Terry! For me, in my limited experience, Cruise Critic is all about sharing information to make cruises more enjoyable. I hope this share will enhance your Alaska adventure. Unfortunately, Amazon seems to be sold out except for  $55.00 version (I think I paid $10). I originally found it in my local library. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this thread with an update:

SS is now telling me they have not chartered a train car for this sailing (maybe all Muse Alaska sailings?), and that the SS transfer is by motor coach. Can anyone else confirm whether this is true, or is my new guy just not talking to the right person?

Regardless, we do have seats on the motor coach so at least we'll meet the ship. Although I am disappointed about the train, I'm not so disappointed that I'm willing to pay an extra $400 to book it independently. (Yes, the train still runs, and there are seats available that morning.)

What are the rest of you south-bound Alaska travelers hearing or being told?

I am on the Muse from Seward to Tokyo in September, spending a few days in Anchorage at the Captain Cook with my own arrangements. I have paid $189 for a transfer from the Captain Cook, the hotel SS uses for pre-voyage stays, to the train station and from the train station to the pier. I drove that route years ago and am looking forward to being able to enjoy the lovely scenery without concentrating on driving (and schlepping my luggage!).  Maybe September is a "low tourism" month, and there is more space on the train for cruise passengers than mid-summer?

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I am on the Muse from Seward to Tokyo in September, spending a few days in Anchorage at the Captain Cook with my own arrangements. I have paid $189 for a transfer from the Captain Cook, the hotel SS uses for pre-voyage stays, to the train station and from the train station to the pier. I drove that route years ago and am looking forward to being able to enjoy the lovely scenery without concentrating on driving (and schlepping my luggage!).  Maybe September is a "low tourism" month, and there is more space on the train for cruise passengers than mid-summer?

That is really helpful, Mahogany -- thank you. I think that late May is also a bit early, and therefore low tourism, but maybe SS is just finding its way with the shift from Shadow to Muse. Would love to hear from others on this.

20 hours ago, Unibok said:

Reviving this thread with an update:

SS is now telling me they have not chartered a train car for this sailing (maybe all Muse Alaska sailings?), and that the SS transfer is by motor coach. Can anyone else confirm whether this is true, or is my new guy just not talking to the right person?

Regardless, we do have seats on the motor coach so at least we'll meet the ship. Although I am disappointed about the train, I'm not so disappointed that I'm willing to pay an extra $400 to book it independently. (Yes, the train still runs, and there are seats available that morning.)

What are the rest of you south-bound Alaska travelers hearing or being told?

We were only ever given the coach option and I did check that directly with SS so I’m guessing your TA is giving you the correct info.

What time were you told to be at the hotel to check in with SS rep?

20 hours ago, Unibok said:

Reviving this thread with an update:  SS is now telling me they have not chartered a train car for this sailing (maybe all Muse Alaska sailings?), and that the SS transfer is by motor coach. Can anyone else confirm whether this is true, or is my new guy just not talking to the right person?    Regardless, we do have seats on the motor coach so at least we'll meet the ship. Although I am disappointed about the train, I'm not so disappointed that I'm willing to pay an extra $400 to book it independently. (Yes, the train still runs, and there are seats available that morning.)    What are the rest of you south-bound Alaska travelers hearing or being told?

While we will be north-bound after getting off of the Silver Muse in Seward, I might offer an observation/guess or two.  When we go up to Denali after our Silversea cruise, we will have  Alaska Railroad Deluxe Dome Railcar Service going south from Denali to Talkeetna.  It gives us a "rail experience" for a portion of this excursion.  My guess and speculation are that for going from Anchorage to the ship boarding in Seward might have run into either "Economic 101" and/or the schedule logistics/timing challenges.  Costs might have gone up and Silversea did not view it as worth the cost??  Or, also maybe as schedules were made for 2019 that they could not have the best and/or needed timing.  Clearly a train would be more fun and interesting, but it does not look as if it is going to work.  Keep us posted as to what else is happen as you get ready for this upcoming adventure.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 26,692 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

31 minutes ago, lem_100 said:

We were only ever given the coach option and I did check that directly with SS so I’m guessing your TA is giving you the correct info.

What time were you told to be at the hotel to check in with SS rep?

Thank you, lem! He said the coach will leave at 11, and we should check in no later than 10:45.

He also said that the coach is a shorter trip, about 1 hour less than the train, and that it is still very scenic. Apparently the bus driver may stop for sightings of moose, eagles, etc.

16 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Or, also maybe as schedules were made for 2019 that they could not have the best and/or needed timing. 

I think you hit the nail on the head here, Terry. It must be a timing issue. The train runs only once a day at 6:45 am, arriving in Seward at 11:00, which is far too early for that many passengers to embark on the Muse or be set loose in the streets of Seward. Mystery solved!

Happily, we will get our rail experience going from Fairbanks to Denali and then Denali to Anchorage. All is well.

I had my TA contact Silversea about the train rez I had. After reading that the train left at 6:45 AM, I had second thoughts. She told me that SS has chartered a train that leaves Anchorage at 1:00 PM, arriving at 5:00 PM; sailing is at 7:00 PM, so no need to worry about making the sailing since the transfer is a SS one. There is a motorcoach option as well, but I like trains, so this is my choice. I'm not sure whether each voyage leaving from Seward is chartering a train; as I said previously, I'm on the September Seward-Tokyo trip.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Unibok said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here, Terry. It must be a timing issue. The train runs only once a day at 6:45 am, arriving in Seward at 11:00, which is far too early for that many passengers to embark on the Muse or be set loose in the streets of Seward. Mystery solved!   Happily, we will get our rail experience going from Fairbanks to Denali and then Denali to Anchorage. All is well.

YES!!  As nicely summarized above by Unibok and from Mahogany, getting a "rail fix" by  riding on the train can be fun.  In addition to our rail ride going south from Denali, we will have two days on the Rocky Mountaineer riding from Jasper National Park to Vancouver.  That will be before we do the sailing from Vancouver in going up, UP into Alaska on the Silver Muse. Below are a couple of visuals for the Rocky Mountaineer rail equipment. 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is a visual as a Rocky Mountaineer train goes through these super scenic parts of western Canada.  The second picture shows one of the double-decked "Gold Leaf" observation cars on which we will be riding.  These cars have dining areas on the lower level and also an open, observation area.  That will make getting great photographs easier.  Look like fun?:

745060419_Rocky-Mountaineer-vista-OU21.jpg.951ade9a786dc5542a39c650efb894d5.jpg

353519937_rocky-mountaineer22.thumb.jpg.20d6998af67d326219ae117841c156f4.jpg

6 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  As nicely summarized above by Unibok and from Mahogany, getting a "rail fix" by  riding on the train can be fun.  In addition to our rail ride going south from Denali, we will have two days on the Rocky Mountaineer riding from Jasper National Park to Vancouver.  That will be before we do the sailing from Vancouver in going up, UP into Alaska on the Silver Muse. Below are a couple of visuals for the Rocky Mountaineer rail equipment. 

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is a visual as a Rocky Mountaineer train goes through these super scenic parts of western Canada.  The second picture shows one of the double-decked "Gold Leaf" observation cars on which we will be riding.  These cars have dining areas on the lower level and also an open, observation area.  That will make getting great photographs easier.  Look like fun?:

745060419_Rocky-Mountaineer-vista-OU21.jpg.951ade9a786dc5542a39c650efb894d5.jpg

353519937_rocky-mountaineer22.thumb.jpg.20d6998af67d326219ae117841c156f4.jpg

We did Rocky Mountaineer Gold a few years ago - it’s a truly breathtaking trip and I’m sure you will enjoy every moment.  Just be aware of ‘train legs’ when you get off, we found it had more of an effect on us than being onboard a ship!

31 minutes ago, lem_100 said:

We did Rocky Mountaineer Gold a few years ago - it’s a truly breathtaking trip and I’m sure you will enjoy every moment.  Just be aware of ‘train legs’ when you get off, we found it had more of an effect on us than being onboard a ship!

Appreciate this follow-up and insights as to the potential of "train legs" from traveling for two days during this type of rail trip.  Had not thought of that "factor".  We'll drink lots in order to compensate for these challenges??!!  Will that help?  

Today received the Silversea “Silver Box” with baggage tags, etc. for our July 25 departure.    Now at 68 days till starting our cruise and 59 days till we depart for Calgary. The “excitement” is building!!

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,938 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

Update: we arrived at the Captain Cook Hotel well in advance of our 11:00 transfer reservation, only to find out we were not actually on the list for that bus. Not to worry, transfer busses leave every 15 minutes, and there was plenty of room for us. Lesson: arrive early and triple check.