Driving to Blarney Castle from Cobh

Weiland

Hello everyone we will be going to Cobh this year and are thinking about renting a car to drive to Blarney Castle from Cobh. We are from Canada so was wondering how hard the drive is? I’m not a nervous driver but if it’s like driving in NY....forget it lol I’m on vacation and don’t need the hassle lol

but if it’s normal highway and country streets I’m good to go. I’ve tried looking up utube to get an idea but haven’t found the right thread yet.

any opinions those who have traveled this route? TIA 

4 minutes ago, Weiland said:

Hello everyone we will be going to Cobh this year and are thinking about renting a car to drive to Blarney Castle from Cobh. We are from Canada so was wondering how hard the drive is? I’m not a nervous driver but if it’s like driving in NY....forget it lol I’m on vacation and don’t need the hassle lol

but if it’s normal highway and country streets I’m good to go. I’ve tried looking up utube to get an idea but haven’t found the right thread yet.

any opinions those who have traveled this route? TIA 

It has been awhile since we drove about Ireland but I can guarantee that the drive to Blarney is not similar to driving in NYC. As I recall, the drive along the water (R624) was quite scenic. Bring up google maps - if you utilize "street view" you can "drive" the route. 

We weren't driving but on a tour with "Tour's By Local's" and our first stop was the Blarney Castle....it was an easy drive..and it shouldn't be a problem using Google maps or just some good directions and map from the car rental agency. Once at Blarney Castle plenty of parking available. Enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...

I drove that route many years ago, and no problems. I found I enjoyed taking a Local Tour better and cheaper than Rent a Cars. Our hotel had a great many brochures and its so nice to hear the driver's commentary etc. and HE did the driving and I could have a few local beers. We will be back late April 2019, and no Rent a Car for me. LocoLoco1  TOM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am from Cóbh and have driven in Canada and don't think you will have a problem.

A couple of tips for you :

1. When hiring a car you will need to specify an automatic, this will make it easier for you as the gear stick will be on the opposite side & will be one thing you don't have to deal with. Manual cars are the standard car in Ireland, so car rental won't have as many, they also might be slightly more expensive.

2. Rules of the road might be slightly different, especially for traffic lights, if you have a red traffic light, you must stop even if you are turning. If you are allowed to turn you will either see a green or flashing orange arrow. Or if you are in a turning lane you will have a dedicated traffic lights.

When driving to Blarney, I recommend leaving at 09;00 not earlier or else you will get stuck in traffic (unless at the weekend).

There are plenty of car parks in Blarney at the castle or the Woolen Mills, but the streets in the town might be narrower than you are used to.

You have to pay for parking, you will need change to do this. They have pay machines in the car parks that look a bit like a parking meter. They have a list of parking charges, 1hr = €1.20, 2 hr =€2.40 etc. You decide how long you want to stay. Put the money into the machine and take the ticket it will give you. You put the ticket in your window so the warden can see you have paid.

I hope this info is helpful. With a car and Google maps you can really see some different sights your fellow cruisers won't get to see.

If you want some suggestions let me know.

Re change €5.00 should be enough, plenty of shops in Cobh, buy a newspaper or water hand over €10 and ask for change for parking, no one will have a problem with this.