No more free pens

beachbum53

Yes i found that on my last cruise. Steward told me they stopped the pens but he could get me a golf pencil. Just went to guest services and asked for a pen. Have you tried writing on their plastic laundry bags with a pencil Good luck. Loos like the pens went the way of the mints on your pillow at night, Next thing to go will be the pillow

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

John claims Carnival is doing this to help protect the environment, particularly the ocean. Really? How many people, in a year's time, throw their pens in the ocean? I'm guessing none. Carnival probably had thousands of those pens produced at less than a nickel a piece, and they were given away free. Now, we'll probably see them in the gift shops for about $4.95 each. Brilliant!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

They didn't last long, but I always took them and used them until they ran out.  I used them at work and people always asked about my cruises.  Oh well.  Now I'll just have to remember to bring one.

38 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

John claims Carnival is doing this to help protect the environment, particularly the ocean. Really? How many people, in a year's time, throw their pens in the ocean? I'm guessing none. Carnival probably had thousands of those pens produced at less than a nickel a piece, and they were given away free. Now, we'll probably see them in the gift shops for about $4.95 each. Brilliant!

Obviously I don't know if any of them were ever purposely thrown into the ocean, but from repeated first-hand experience, I can say that plastic pens end up in the ocean.  I clean up a particular beach on a particular Abaco Out Island (the Bahamas) about twice a year.  I've done it for about ten years now.  Among the heaps of sundry flotsam I collect each time, I always find at least a couple pens.  And that's just one beach on one tiny island in one spot on this great big world. 

Cutback?  Possibly.  But helping to cut down on the amount of plastic that ends up in the ocean?  Probably.  You think maybe you're a little over-the-top on this?

• Like 8

I have a couple from previous cruises. I might flaunt about with one on my next cruise and innocently say "oh, did you not get one in your room?" if anybody asks. Maybe while eating my antique pillow chocolates and getting food poisoning. 🙂

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Maybe we can get them to install the pens that are chained to the desk like they have in banks. I’d just like to fill out my luggage tags with something that can’t be erased.

I got a couple of those already .

• Haha 1

TThis is good but such a small change. They will likely still sell cheap plastic stuff.

It is very amusing however to hear him preach about cutting down on plastic with a case of bottled water wrapped in un-recylceable material conspicuously displayed in his room. Why can’t he bring a reusuable container and fill up at the buffet? 

Edited by lottiegreen56
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My last cruise, I was at Guest Services to reactivate a sail and sign that was not working, two ladies in front of me were there just to get pens. One said she needed “10 or so”. Oh, and each got their pack of cards. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Yes i found that on my last cruise. Steward told me they stopped the pens but he could get me a golf pencil. Just went to guest services and asked for a pen. Have you tried writing on their plastic laundry bags with a pencil Good luck. Loos like the pens went the way of the mints on your pillow at night, Next thing to go will be the pillow

LOL...Loved the reference  "Next thing to go will be the pillow"!!

• Haha 1

I came home with a few Carnival pens on my first cruise . Next thing you know I've got a (Carnival) beer stein filled with pens from the 6 cruise lines I've sailed . Odd yes but inexpensive ( actually free) mementos .20190324_223034.thumb.jpg.e72799f74cb4169ce25f88777636f7bf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1