No more free pens

beachbum53

53 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Talked to one of my friends who are in management, she said more cutbacks are coming! 

You can post this on every single cruise line here on CC , and I don't doubt it's true . From $10 for a second main course on HAL to no more smoked salmon on Celebrity and Norwegian buffets, cutbacks are the course of the day . But will all due respect to one of your friends who are in management, let's get back to pens . 

3 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Wonder how much they will actually save by taking away pens? Next we will have to bring on our own soap and shampoo.

I wonder to myself, how many of these cutbacks I would even have noticed except for reading these boards. Under 50% for sure. Probably way under that!

• Like 1

It’s just funny that he had the audacity to try to justufy it (with the plastic bottles displayed)

could have

1) said nothing or 

2) used environment in a more curated setting.

it blows my mind how little self-awareness he has. The American Flag comment said it all though

15 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

It’s just funny that he had the audacity to try to justufy it (with the plastic bottles displayed)

could have

1) said nothing or 

2) used environment in a more curated setting.

it blows my mind how little self-awareness he has. The American Flag comment said it all though

What American Flag comment? 

4 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I liked to use my Free Pen to write on the Table Clothes in the MDR. Then I would race down and have my gratuities removed.

I always beat you there cause I bought FTTF and got to skip the line at GS😁

I have to say I really liked the pens though.  Yes, they were cheap, but it made me happy to use them for work while I dreamt of our next cruise.  Hotel pens just don't have that same magic.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

I wonder to myself, how many of these cutbacks I would even have noticed except for reading these boards. Under 50% for sure. Probably way under that!

I definitely noticed the pen last cruise but only the one time I actually use it which is to fill out my debarkation zone tags. If it weren’t for that I wouldn’t care. Next time I’ll make sure I bring a pen. 

DF959578-9093-46DC-BED7-781F870F6A1C.thumb.jpeg.897712f1490d250e5c2f961182b96d11.jpeg

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

What American Flag comment? 

Someone asked if he or she could hang Old Glory off a balcony. He could have just said international law or safety but he had to throw in aesthetics as the reason to say no. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he meant nothing by it, he’s incredibly tone deaf to have worded it this way. Sorry but aesthetically, the American Flag is the most beautiful thing on earth!

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It’s not straws is it?

Not that I heard, wish they’d switch to paper if they cared about the environment!

2 hours ago, dmet0225 said:

This topic will likely be the next item that shows up on that thread that lists all of the cutbacks over the years.

actually someone will report this thread to JH saying that the people on CC are complaining about all the cutbacks again. We will probably than hear about the brilliant additions such as playlist and hasbro

3 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

actually someone will report this thread to JH saying that the people on CC are complaining about all the cutbacks again. We will probably than hear about the brilliant additions such as playlist and hasbro

I hope they let him know how dumb he looked with the bottled water while they are at it! Use my name idc if he never send me gifts!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

That Hasbro stuff is meh

I'm a big CCL fan, and don't care if they provide a pen, pencil or nothing as long as I can relax on the cruise, I'm good!  But I just find this whole thing funny, no pen to help the environment and it might.  Maybe BINGO will be next, to save the paper of the cards and plastic of the markers.  I guess the 4 beers in bucket deal will have to be reevaluated, because the bucket is plastic.  This will not happen because both produce revenue for CCL.  Moving from a pen to pencil will saves CCL an estimated $100,000 annually, it's not an environmental issue.  The environment claim is marketing ploy to make a segment of CCL guests feel good.  I noticed some use the cutback word, I call them changes.  Some may be popular, like the Hub App and the 2.0 upgrades, some not so much, no pens, pillow chocolate and table cloths! 

Life is too fast to sweat the small things.  I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JMAE said:

I'm a big CCL fan, and don't care if they provide a pen, pencil or nothing as long as I can relax on the cruise, I'm good!  But I just find this whole thing funny, no pen to help the environment and it might.  Maybe BINGO will be next, to save the paper of the cards and plastic of the markers.  I guess the 4 beers in bucket deal will have to be reevaluated, because the bucket is plastic.  This will not happen because both produce revenue for CCL.  Moving from a pen to pencil will saves CCL an estimated $100,000 annually, it's not an environmental issue.  The environment claim is marketing ploy to make a segment of CCL guests feel good.  I noticed some use the cutback word, I call them changes.  Some may be popular, like the Hub App and the 2.0 upgrades, some not so much, no pens, pillow chocolate and table cloths! 

Life is too fast to sweat the small things.  I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Wonder if they really would save $ 100,000 annually. Cheap pens cannot cost very much.

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Someone asked if he or she could hang Old Glory off a balcony. He could have just said international law or safety but he had to throw in aesthetics as the reason to say no. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he meant nothing by it, he’s incredibly tone deaf to have worded it this way. Sorry but aesthetically, the American Flag is the most beautiful thing on earth!

Oh, OK, thanks.  I was confused.  I thought I missed a comment about the flag in the video in the OP.

7 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Wonder if they really would save $ 100,000 annually. Cheap pens cannot cost very much.

.04/pen x 2,000/cruise=$80/ship

$80/ship x 26 ships = $2,080/wk

$2,080/wk x 52 weeks = $108,160

One is cheap, scale not so much!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Oh, OK, thanks.  I was confused.  I thought I missed a comment about the flag in the video in the OP.

Yeah like I said - didn't seem like he actually meant anything by it but was using it as an example of how tone deaf he can be. Admittedly, I was pretty mad about it when I first saw his statement but I just don't think he thinks before he says/posts stuff sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Yeah like I said - didn't seem like he actually meant anything by it but was using it as an example of how tone deaf he can be. Admittedly, I was pretty mad about it when I first saw his statement but I just don't think he thinks before he says/posts stuff sometimes. 

I’m behind on his videos so I haven’t seen it yet. Guarantee he didn’t mean anything by it. Guarantee he’ll be apologizing tomorrow. The amount of scrutiny he goes through is for things he says or doesn’t say is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the American flag. Imagine if they start letting people hang whatever they want. Imagine all of the sports team flags that would be all over the ship. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

I'm sure that they save much more than that, pens vs. pencils. Small golf pencils are about 7¢ apiece vs. about 45¢ apiece for the plastic triangle pens that they had. Probably cheaper than that in the volume that Carnival would be buying, but that's the prices I can see listed for qty 1000+. 

1 minute ago, Thorncroft said:

I'm sure that they save much more than that, pens vs. pencils. Small golf pencils are about 7¢ apiece vs. about 45¢ apiece for the plastic triangle pens that they had. Probably cheaper than that in the volume that Carnival would be buying, but that's the prices I can see listed for qty 1000+. 

I definitely think they cost more than the 4 cents people are quoting...maybe for a bic.