No more free pens

beachbum53

16 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m behind on his videos so I haven’t seen it yet. Guarantee he didn’t mean anything by it. Guarantee he’ll be apologizing tomorrow. The amount of scrutiny he goes through is for things he says or doesn’t say is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the American flag. Imagine if they start letting people hang whatever they want. Imagine all of the sports team flags that would be all over the ship. 

This was months ago, like I said I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it but he should know better. Clearly the policy isn't anti-flag but you also don't say negative stuff about the flag. Hanging an American flag and hanging a sports team flag is not even close to comparing apples to apples. 

11 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I definitely think they cost more than the 4 cents people are quoting...maybe for a bic.

They do, but probably closer to 20¢-25¢ for the huge volumes that Carnival would be able to negotiate. The little pencils may be around 4¢. 

I don't care what that man from across the pond says...it is cutbacks as usual. No more chocolates, maybe the fish in the ocean were getting too fat from those.  Tablecloths only on elegant evenings....being eco friendly less washing.  No pens, saving the environment.  No more straws....what's next?  Maybe we'll get a cardboard sail and sign card because plastic is no good for the environment. Why doesn't anyone bring up the kazillion diapers used each week by babies and incontinent elders?  Are they recyclable? 

7 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

This was months ago, like I said I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it but he should know better. Clearly the policy isn't anti-flag but you also don't say negative stuff about the flag. Hanging an American flag and hanging a sports team flag is not even close to comparing apples to apples. 

What did he say negative specially about the American flag? 

I’m saying their policy is on flags in general and if you get to hang your flag, I get to hang my flag...and so on. And you’re going to have a ship littered with pro and college sports flags.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bellasma2591 said:

I don't care what that man from across the pond says...it is cutbacks as usual.  

Of course that is exactly what this is.  I honestly don't care they got rid of the pens, but at least be honest about it and don't come up with some BS excuse.  If you're really that concerned about the ocean, there are so many other, more impactful things Carnival could be doing then eliminating the free pens (starting with all those plastic water bottles).  I assume the plastic pens in the gift shop are eliminated as well?  Just as much of a concern, but something tells me you're more than welcome to purchase one.  

It reminds me of when they eliminated the free Bridge tours due to security concerns, but somehow all those security concerns were eliminated if you paid for a behind the scenes tour.   More BS.  Just be honest with your reasons.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, eroller said:

Of course that is exactly what this is.  I honestly don't care they got rid of the pens, but at least be honest about it and don't come up with some BS excuse.  If you're really that concerned about the ocean, there are so many other, more impactful things Carnival could be doing then eliminating the free pens.  I assume the plastic pens in the gift shop are eliminated as well?  Just as much of a concern, but something tells me you're more than welcome to purchase one.  

It reminds me of when they eliminated the free Bridge tours due to security concerns, but somehow all those security concerns were eliminated if you paid for a behind the scenes tour.   More BS.  Just be honest with your reasons.  

Exactly....they  think we're stupid. I don't need the pen....but stop feeding us BS

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bellasma2591 said:

Exactly....they  think we're stupid. I don't need the pen....but stop feeding us BS

Every company does it. Go to a hotel and they have their “go green” stuff. It’s not about going green. It’s about saving on laundry.

• Like 2

The excuse about being environmentally friendly is used to disguise cutbacks because it makes people feel good about themselves. "Yes, we are wasting food, water, fuel, and electricity but it's ok because we are sailing on a cruise line that cares about the environment."

The lies we tell ourselves to make it through the day.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

It’s just funny that he had the audacity to try to justufy it (with the plastic bottles displayed)

I think the water bottles, primarily the the 16 oz. ones, are much more likely to end up in the ocean than the pens. People carry the bottles around with them and there's probably some jerks who toss them overboard. Or maybe off their balcony. But not too many people are carrying around the pens. I get it, there's tons of plastic in the oceans and it's bad, but to say they're getting rid of the pens to keep them out of the oceans is kinda silly. I really find it hard to believe that passengers are going around chucking their pens overboard.

1 hour ago, JMAE said:

I noticed some use the cutback word, I call them changes.  Some may be popular, like the Hub App and the 2.0 upgrades, some not so much, no pens, pillow chocolate and table cloths! 

Life is too fast to sweat the small things.  I hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Some changes aren't cutbacks. The Hub app and 2.0 upgrades cost the company money, they aren't cutbacks. Granted, they spend that money on things that hopefully save them money in the long run, but I don't call that a cutback. Cutbacks are getting rid of things in order to directly save money...like pens & chocolates. A lot of small things add up to something big for some people.

4 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Clearly the policy isn't anti-flag but you also don't say negative stuff about the flag. Hanging an American flag and hanging a sports team flag is not even close to comparing apples to apples. 

They're exactly the same when the rule is no flags. 

6 hours ago, petro772 said:

Heald just doesn’t get how silly he sounds.

WHY do y'all hang on his every word? Like he's the great Oracle of Delphi?

You know he's either going to feed you a line of BS
and/or he's going to tell you What You Want To Hear!

Stop bothering the man.

I don't see John Heald mentioned anywhere in this article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just off Conquest Sunday, and noticed there weren't Carnival pens/notepad in cabin when I wanted to leave a note for my steward upon embark.  It was pretty funny watching me scrounge around for paper - ended up ripping 1/2 a page of my boarding pass up for the note!  You never know what you "miss" until you miss it!

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I think the water bottles, primarily the the 16 oz. ones, are much more likely to end up in the ocean than the pens. People carry the bottles around with them and there's probably some jerks who toss them overboard. Or maybe off their balcony. But not too many people are carrying around the pens. I get it, there's tons of plastic in the oceans and it's bad, but to say they're getting rid of the pens to keep them out of the oceans is kinda silly. I really find it hard to believe that passengers are going around chucking their pens overboard.

Some changes aren't cutbacks. The Hub app and 2.0 upgrades cost the company money, they aren't cutbacks. Granted, they spend that money on things that hopefully save them money in the long run, but I don't call that a cutback. Cutbacks are getting rid of things in order to directly save money...like pens & chocolates. A lot of small things add up to something big for some people.