Avalon Passion Panorama Suite - power & water

kwerb12

Hi, There seems to be some confusion about the power on the ship. It is all 230v but their help number stated the plug in the bathroom was US. 

Can anyone confirm this? Why would they make it US with the wrong voltage? I do not want to burn anything out with 230v.

Also - it says bottled water is supplied. Can anyone advise if this is mineral water or plain?

I hate the Dasani bottled water on United and do not want to get stuck with mineral water.

How good is the tap water on the ship? I found Princess Emerald water Excellent but Celebrity Equinox not drinkable.

Should I bring my Brita pitcher?

Also - what food is served for "Early Riser" breakfast - just muffins? Any protein? Milk maybe?

We are taking the Passion from Prague to Budapest in August.

Edited by kwerb12

Hi,

We're currently on the Avalon Vista.  In our room, including the bathroom, there is a total of 3 available plug ins where you would require European adapters to use (the ones with 2 round prongs)

Our included in room bottle water is plain San Bernedetto water & it's not mineral water. The water from the tap is potable, but free bottle water is replenished daily or whenever you need it.

Hope this helps & enjoy.

Thank you for responding!

It is good to know there is a potential of 3 plugs that need adapters!

It is also very helpful to know what brand the water is.

The San Bernedetto website says their water is all "mineral water" as that is the way it comes from the ground. They also have some varieties that they add more minerals. Does the bottle say "fuente Primavera" or Font Natura or "fuencisla"? I would like to see if I can buy some ahead of time to see how it tastes.

Maybe my Brita would be safest -

What river are you on? Are you having a great time? What cabin? We will be in 305 on the Passion.

Have you been up early enough to see what they have for "Early Riser" breakfast? Is there any protein?

Great to hear from you. I hope you are having an enjoyable and relaxing trip.

I can't speak for Avalon, but everywhere I have been, the outlet in the bathroom is marked only for shavers. Maybe Europeans don't use electric shavers, but these plugs seem to be North American style plugs and 110v.

Don't try to plug anything else into them.

45 minutes ago, kwerb12 said:

It is also very helpful to know what brand the water is.

The San Bernedetto website says their water is all "mineral water" as that is the way it comes from the ground. They also have some varieties that they add more minerals. Does the bottle say "fuente Primavera" or Font Natura or "fuencisla"? I would like to see if I can buy some ahead of time to see how it tastes.

Maybe my Brita would be safest -

What is your concern with bottled water? They are providing you with neutral water. I won't say it has no taste, but it isn't highly anything.

If you bring a Brita what are you going to do with it? Don't assume that the minibar will hold it. And how do you fill it? It won't fit under the bathroom tap, so you would have to fill it glass by glass. And it is really awkward to pack. In addition, I would certainly trust the taste of the bottled water better than tap water even with a Brita filter.

I think you are really overthinking this, but the choice is obviously yours.

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I can't speak for Avalon, but everywhere I have been, the outlet in the bathroom is marked only for shavers. Maybe Europeans don't use electric shavers, but these plugs seem to be North American style plugs and 110v.

Don't try to plug anything else into them.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

What is your concern with bottled water? They are providing you with neutral water. I won't say it has no taste, but it isn't highly anything.

If you bring a Brita what are you going to do with it? Don't assume that the minibar will hold it. And how do you fill it? It won't fit under the bathroom tap, so you would have to fill it glass by glass. And it is really awkward to pack. In addition, I would certainly trust the taste of the bottled water better than tap water even with a Brita filter.

I think you are really overthinking this, but the choice is obviously yours.

Yep - totally paranoid. I get migraines from magnesium so drinking water with even "natural" water can be a big deal. We live on a well and the water definitely has a taste so we use an R/O system for drinking water. We have brought the Brita pitcher on cruises but it does take up a lot of packing room. We normally must use a glass to fill it. If it fits in the minibar fine but we generally drink room temperature water. We always have them empty the minibar when we arrive as since water is all we drink -  so ref room is generally not a problem.

The 1 litre San Bernedetto water label states oligominerale & beneath that it had the word naturalle.  Ingredient list, 296 mg bicarbonati, 51 mg calcio, 30 mg magnesio, 9 mg nitrati, 6 mg sodio, 4 mg solfati, 32.6 mg cloruri, .0.97 mg potassio & less than 0.1 mg fluorui.

The 0.5 l excursion bottles are also San Bernedetto & its label bore the description natural mineral water.  

Both pretty bland tasting to me.  Attached photos of bottles if I can figure out how to attach the same.

We're currently on the Ghent Canal & in room 211.

You definitely need European adapters for the room plug ins.  As long as your phone or battery charger indicates the range of 100v -240v, you should be fine.

Our room also has 2 usb charger outlet by the headboard.

Our daily news letter indicates early riser continental breakfast at 6-7 AM in the panorama lounge & full breakfast buffet 7-9 AM in the restaurant.

Enjoy.

20190326_163527.jpg

20190326_163429.jpg

20190326_163728.jpg

20190326_163503.jpg

10 minutes ago, foodpolice said:

The 1 litre San Bernedetto water label states oligominerale & beneath that it had the word naturalle.  Ingredient list, 296 mg bicarbonati, 51 mg calcio, 30 mg magnesio, 9 mg nitrati, 6 mg sodio, 4 mg solfati, 32.6 mg cloruri, .0.97 mg potassio & less than 0.1 mg fluorui.

The 0.5 l excursion bottles are also San Bernedetto & its label bore the description natural mineral water.  

Both pretty bland tasting to me.  Attached photos of bottles if I can figure out how to attach the same.

We're currently on the Ghent Canal & in room 211.

You definitely need European adapters for the room plug ins.  As long as your phone or battery charger indicates the range of 100v -240v, you should be fine.

Our room also has 2 usb charger outlet by the headboard.

Our daily news letter indicates early riser continental breakfast at 6-7 AM in the panorama lounge & full breakfast buffet 7-9 AM in the restaurant.

Enjoy.

20190326_163527.jpg

20190326_163503.jpg

Normally, I would have deleted the picture, but the fridge seems to be pretty shallow. I'm not sure that a round Brita pitcher would fit, but the flatter one might.

WOW

You are a fount of information! The photos are GREAT. Interesting the water packaging in your photos does not match the San Bendetto website offerings. The break down of the contents is also helpful. As each ship is a bit different I will plan on having USB on my adapter in case our ship does not have them conveniently next to the bed. The photo looks like you are docked and the wall at the port blocks your view. We are on the top deck so we should be able to see the city (or inside a cabin of the ship next door :) Being in the middle of the ship do you feel much vibration from the engines?  Humm - 7AM for a full breakfast - maybe if I bring a stash of almonds to tide us over - who knows what the time change will do to us too!  Thank you!

22 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Normally, I would have deleted the picture, but the fridge seems to be pretty shallow. I'm not sure that a round Brita pitcher would fit, but the flatter one might.

The pitcher is squished shape - not very deep so it would fit fine.  Thanks!

Great suggestion. I checked - since the pitcher is flattened it is almost the same size as 2 travel filter bottles. I will keep that in mind if we are thinking of taking one of our water bottles for tours and replace it with a filtered one for dubious water on the go.

Thanks!

Kathy

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:43 AM, foodpolice said:

Hi,

We're currently on the Avalon Vista.  In our room, including the bathroom, there is a total of 3 available plug ins where you would require European adapters to use (the ones with 2 round prongs)

Our included in room bottle water is plain San Bernedetto water & it's not mineral water. The water from the tap is potable, but free bottle water is replenished daily or whenever you need it.

Hope this helps & enjoy.

Thank you for responding. Looking forward to our trip!

On 3/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, kwerb12 said:

Humm - 7AM for a full breakfast - maybe if I bring a stash of almonds to tide us over - who knows what the time change will do to us too!  Thank you!

Don't worry about being hungry... there will be coffee & snacks at the back lounge at all times, and also in the main lounge they do a continental breakfast.  You can grab something to tie you over until you get a full breakfast.

We had no problems with the water, and had them clear out our fridge so we could put some bottles in there to keep them cold.  I go through water a lot, and it was like the pure spring water I usually buy.  The picture against the wall looks like they might be in a lock, we were on the middle level and never had any time where the wall while docked blocked our view.  We were in room 219 on the Imagery II, and never heard the engines...or any other noises.

Bring adaptors, depending on how much you want plugged in at once (phones, tablets, hair styling, cameras etc) you will need them.  We had an European Bestek Travel Adapter which we could plug in North American plugs and USB's, so that was easy as we just put our chargers in it. 

Enjoy your trip, Avalon is a great company to sail with.

kwerb12,

Just reminiscing our July 2016 Danube trip where we went from Budapest to Praque.  We had a great time, hope you enjoy yours!  We were on the Avalon Luminary, which was about half full.  Here's a sneak preview of the Durnstein shoreline, where we had a land tour & bought some hasen pemmerl (chocolate coated apricot filled balls, pretty tasty) & unique gift for someone at home.

The picture that I'd included on my post from the Vista, is that of the dock, not a lock, as you can see a bus parked on the above left corner of the picture.  We were in room 211 on the Vista & 210 on the Luminary & at no time during these 2 trips, did we hear any engine noise.

Enjoy your trip.

2016 07 03 Durnstein - Melk vids 200.JPG

2016 07 03 Durnstein - Melk vids 155.JPG

On 6/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, Daisi said:

Don't worry about being hungry... there will be coffee & snacks at the back lounge at all times, and also in the main lounge they do a continental breakfast.  You can grab something to tie you over until you get a full breakfast.

We had no problems with the water, and had them clear out our fridge so we could put some bottles in there to keep them cold.  I go through water a lot, and it was like the pure spring water I usually buy.  The picture against the wall looks like they might be in a lock, we were on the middle level and never had any time where the wall while docked blocked our view.  We were in room 219 on the Imagery II, and never heard the engines...or any other noises.

Bring adaptors, depending on how much you want plugged in at once (phones, tablets, hair styling, cameras etc) you will need them.  We had an European Bestek Travel Adapter which we could plug in North American plugs and USB's, so that was easy as we just put our chargers in it. 

Enjoy your trip, Avalon is a great company to sail with.

Thank you for the great information. I need protein first thing in the morning rather than yummy sweets but hopefully  I can try and sleep later (I am often up a 5AM). As I am very picky about the taste of my water I may still bring my Brita pitcher - it depends on if I run out of room in my suitcase! It is good to hear that it is quiet even as far back on the ship as you were. We are up a level and farther front that you are. We have our adapters and a converter so we are covered. Getting excited! First trip to Europe!

On 6/9/2019 at 11:10 AM, foodpolice said:

kwerb12,

Just reminiscing our July 2016 Danube trip where we went from Budapest to Praque.  We had a great time, hope you enjoy yours!  We were on the Avalon Luminary, which was about half full.  Here's a sneak preview of the Durnstein shoreline, where we had a land tour & bought some hasen pemmerl (chocolate coated apricot filled balls, pretty tasty) & unique gift for someone at home.

The picture that I'd included on my post from the Vista, is that of the dock, not a lock, as you can see a bus parked on the above left corner of the picture.  We were in room 211 on the Vista & 210 on the Luminary & at no time during these 2 trips, did we hear any engine noise.

Enjoy your trip.

2016 07 03 Durnstein - Melk vids 200.JPG

2016 07 03 Durnstein - Melk vids 155.JPG

Sounds wonderful. Chocolate coated apricot filled balls sounds irresistible. Looking forward to a quiet sailing - on ocean cruises the vibration and noise make my inner ears unhappy. 

On 3/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, kwerb12 said:

Hi, There seems to be some confusion about the power on the ship. It is all 230v but their help number stated the plug in the bathroom was US. 

Can anyone confirm this? Why would they make it US with the wrong voltage? I do not want to burn anything out with 230v.

Also - it says bottled water is supplied. Can anyone advise if this is mineral water or plain?

I hate the Dasani bottled water on United and do not want to get stuck with mineral water.

How good is the tap water on the ship? I found Princess Emerald water Excellent but Celebrity Equinox not drinkable.

Should I bring my Brita pitcher?

Also - what food is served for "Early Riser" breakfast - just muffins? Any protein? Milk maybe?

We are taking the Passion from Prague to Budapest in August.

You will most likely hate the taste of the complementary water.

Bring your Brita pitcher.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering about the plug ins.  Thanks for the information.  I will be on the Vista may 2020.  I may get some adapters for the family at christmas.  Also good to know about the Brita water bottle filters.  You all are great.  Thanks.

Michelle