Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jedco

Transportation from London to Southampton

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, scottbee said:

As for hotels, we stayed in the "Mad Hatter" earlier this year (about 1/2 way from Waterloo to the tate Modern), and it was very good.

 

Good to hear - I think the area round the southern end of Blackfriars and Southwark bridges can be a good value location to stay. I remember mention of the Mad Hatter previously on the board, as I was explaining its history as Tress & Co’s hat factory! Was that you? 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No, does not sound familiar. But, thanks anyway.

 

Dolphin House Serviced Apartments in Dolphin Square? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

To be fair JB, Pompey are 2 divisions below the Saints, so its not exactly unexpected!

 

Simon

 

Correct, Simon.

So they were onto a hiding to nothing -  no kudos in beating a lower-league team, but massive embarrassment if they lost - as the mighty Spurs experienced when they were beaten last night by a team three divisions lower. 

Had Saints been humbled in the same way, I wouldn't have mentioned it :classic_rolleyes:

 

But Pompey vs Saints was a local derby, so bragging rights were involved.

Hence my irrelevant bragging :classic_biggrin:

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

 

Dolphin House Serviced Apartments in Dolphin Square? 

I don't think so. I think apartments was definitely in the title.

 

But, thanks for trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, thanks to everyone for their advice. We still have a lot of time to make a decision as the cruise is still 10 months away.

 

I mentioned staying in Southampton instead of London to the boss, DW. And her first reaction was "I want to stay in London.". But then she asked what is there to do in Southampton. I showed her the google page on museums in Southampton, and will have her read this thread from John Bull's first response to me. The aviation museum might be of great interest to her; she grew up in an airline family as her late father was an RAF pilot in WWII before emigrating to the USA. He went to work for British Airways (BOAC at that time), and worked his way up to being in charge of their computer system at the time of his retirement. More art would be helpful, but at least there does seem to be an art gallery.

 

Again, thanks to everyone, It makes sense to me, but I'm not going to force it if she really wants London. We did miss the New Tate the last time we were there before a cruise. On an earlier land trip to London, she did get to see the Tate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

 

Good to hear - I think the area round the southern end of Blackfriars and Southwark bridges can be a good value location to stay. I remember mention of the Mad Hatter previously on the board, as I was explaining its history as Tress & Co’s hat factory! Was that you? 

 

no it wasn't me; but the history is interesting.  Along with the whole thing about curing felt with Mercury, which had negative mental affects on the hatters, hence "Mad Hatters"

 

The hotel room itself wasn't large, but extremely comfortable, and (a first fior me), came with a fully INCLUSIVE mini-bar, with soft-drinks, a couple of beer and cider, etc.  Downstairs the pub serves Fullers beer, and had a really good meat pie sampler (that they're known for).

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

First, thanks to everyone for their advice. We still have a lot of time to make a decision as the cruise is still 10 months away.

 

I mentioned staying in Southampton instead of London to the boss, DW. And her first reaction was "I want to stay in London.". But then she asked what is there to do in Southampton. I showed her the google page on museums in Southampton, and will have her read this thread from John Bull's first response to me. The aviation museum might be of great interest to her; she grew up in an airline family as her late father was an RAF pilot in WWII before emigrating to the USA. He went to work for British Airways (BOAC at that time), and worked his way up to being in charge of their computer system at the time of his retirement. More art would be helpful, but at least there does seem to be an art gallery.

 

Again, thanks to everyone, It makes sense to me, but I'm not going to force it if she really wants London. We did miss the New Tate the last time we were there before a cruise. On an earlier land trip to London, she did get to see the Tate. 

Replying to myself LOL

 

I just did some research on hotels in Southampton with a pool. (A pool is very important to DW.) I came up with 5.

 

1. Holiday Inn Southampton

2. Meon Valley Hotel and Country Club

3. McDonald's Botley park Hotel and Spa

4. Leonardo Royal Southhapton

5. Novotel Southampton.

 

Any comments on any of these hotels? The Holiday Inn said it was near the docks and could include a package that included transportation to the docks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Replying to myself LOL

 

I just did some research on hotels in Southampton with a pool. (A pool is very important to DW.) I came up with 5.

 

1. Holiday Inn Southampton

2. Meon Valley Hotel and Country Club

3. McDonald's Botley park Hotel and Spa

4. Leonardo Royal Southhapton

5. Novotel Southampton.

 

Any comments on any of these hotels? The Holiday Inn said it was near the docks and could include a package that included transportation to the docks.

 

Strike 2 & 3.

They're in the countryside 10 - 12 miles from the city centre.

 

Location of the others is fine. 

Leonardo Royal just has the edge with HI a close second. And  both have views over Southampton Water.

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, John Bull said:

 

Strike 2 & 3.

They're in the countryside 10 - 12 miles from the city centre.

 

Location of the others is fine. 

Leonardo Royal just has the edge with HI a close second. And  both have views over Southampton Water.

 

JB :classic_smile:

 

We just checked out of the Leonardo Royal yesterday. It was our fourth time staying there although the first time with the new owners, and we won’t be back. The rooms are shabby and dusty with stained carpets. They seem to be pinching pennies every chance they get; the food in the buffet at breakfast is a mere shadow of what it was before, the lightbulbs in the rooms can’t be any more than 40 W and it’s impossible to see to put make up on or do your hair.  The heat/ac goes  off every 2 hrs. unless you ask for it to run all the time. We woke up freezing the first morning. Most of the staff in the bar & restaurants seem like they don’t care very much.  The hotel is such a big beautiful building, and it has a lot of potential, but at this point we have given up on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FritzG said:

We just checked out of the Leonardo Royal yesterday. It was our fourth time staying there although the first time with the new owners, and we won’t be back. The rooms are shabby and dusty with stained carpets. They seem to be pinching pennies every chance they get; the food in the buffet at breakfast is a mere shadow of what it was before, the lightbulbs in the rooms can’t be any more than 40 W and it’s impossible to see to put make up on or do your hair.  The heat/ac goes  off every 2 hrs. unless you ask for it to run all the time. We woke up freezing the first morning. Most of the staff in the bar & restaurants seem like they don’t care very much.  The hotel is such a big beautiful building, and it has a lot of potential, but at this point we have given up on them. 

 

That's a great shame - I was hoping for better under  new management. :classic_sad:

 

Being a local, understandably I've never stayed there - never been beyond the foyer.

 

Checked Booking.com reviews - more reliable than T/A.

Scores 8.1 overall. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as it should be. 

Top mark is 8.8, unsurprisingly for location.

Lowest is 7.4 for value for money.

(One snag - those reviews go back to 2017, so include time under previous management)

 

JB :classic_smile:

ps - off to Croatia today for a week on a gulet. Unlikely to post during that time unless my trusty old I-pad gets a half-decent signal out in the Adriatic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Bull said:

 

JB :classic_smile:

ps - off to Croatia today for a week on a gulet. Unlikely to post during that time unless my trusty old I-pad gets a half-decent signal out in the Adriatic. 

 

Hope its not too rough. A boat like that can 'bob about' a bit! Have a good time!

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading with interest as we have not ventured to the UK for many years.

We arrive Heathrow staying in London south Kensington area, for a few days then a cruise from Southampton return.

Then back to a hotel in central London a few days before flying out.

We booked and paid on line return train tickets, waterloo to Southampton, thinking that would save messing about at the station.

Usually we book on line pay and get tickets and reservations via email.

We now realise we must use the emailed booking number, have the credit card to get the tickets at a machine, and there are no reserved seats in first. It is considered a commuter train.

Not sure why the paid tickets cannot be emailed? 

We have asked if we can collect the tickets any day for both trips or if it has to be done on the day of travel?

We nominated waterloo as the collection station.

It may have been better to do all this on the day as we seem to have achieved not much by prebooking and paying?

Nevertheless too late for this trip.

We are thinking of pre ordering oyster cards, delivered at home before our trip for the days we have in London?

We are not yet sorted arrival transfers Heathrow to our hotel one way only required.

We are considering the Piccadilly line on arrival at Heathrow,  to south Kensington or a private car?

We like train travel in Europe but were bewildered by the vast London network and issues with steps and distance with luggage.

We like this forum for info on all sorts of issues. 

Welcome any comments or suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 6:29 PM, John Bull said:

 

£44 is the walk-up train fare.

Even on sundays there are cheap advance tickets on some trains from London Waterloo to Southampton central. 

As low as £9.

Advance tickets available from about 10 weeks out - if your date is later than 29th September you can see the cheap advance fares by choosing a random sunday in September.

Advance tickets are only valid for the train time that you choose, but that's the same with Nat Express coaches.

No cheap advance train fares on trains from Victoria rail station on sundays..

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

 

Probably best to choose between train or coach depending on the location of your London hotel.

 

JB :classic_smile:

Is it necessary to advance reserve for Coach tickets? We are thinking of taking the coach from Southampton after disembarking, and won't know what time we'll be available to board. It appears that the price increases by quite a bit if you don't reserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pistachio said:

Is it necessary to advance reserve for Coach tickets? We are thinking of taking the coach from Southampton after disembarking, and won't know what time we'll be available to board. It appears that the price increases by quite a bit if you don't reserve.

Technically not necessary, but we would all advise you to do so. The coaches only hold 50 people, unlike a couple of hundred on the train, so if you want to ensure a seat, book it! I certainly would. The coach station is a 15 min walk from City Cruise terminal, or you can cab it for £7.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Technically not necessary, but we would all advise you to do so. The coaches only hold 50 people, unlike a couple of hundred on the train, so if you want to ensure a seat, book it! I certainly would. The coach station is a 15 min walk from City Cruise terminal, or you can cab it for £7.

 

Simon

Thanks for that speedy response!! There are no changeable coach tickets, right? Any suggestions on what time would be safe, based on NCL disembarkations? It appears that there are buses leaving 8:50, 9:50, 11:05, 12:20...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Reading with interest as we have not ventured to the UK for many years.

We arrive Heathrow staying in London south Kensington area, for a few days then a cruise from Southampton return.

Then back to a hotel in central London a few days before flying out.

We booked and paid on line return train tickets, waterloo to Southampton, thinking that would save messing about at the station.

Usually we book on line pay and get tickets and reservations via email.

We now realise we must use the emailed booking number, have the credit card to get the tickets at a machine, and there are no reserved seats in first. It is considered a commuter train.

Not sure why the paid tickets cannot be emailed? 

We have asked if we can collect the tickets any day for both trips or if it has to be done on the day of travel?

We nominated waterloo as the collection station.

It may have been better to do all this on the day as we seem to have achieved not much by prebooking and paying?

Nevertheless too late for this trip.

We are thinking of pre ordering oyster cards, delivered at home before our trip for the days we have in London?

We are not yet sorted arrival transfers Heathrow to our hotel one way only required.

We are considering the Piccadilly line on arrival at Heathrow,  to south Kensington or a private car?

We like train travel in Europe but were bewildered by the vast London network and issues with steps and distance with luggage.

We like this forum for info on all sorts of issues. 

Welcome any comments or suggestions.

I'll have  a go at the questions I think you are asking.

You can pick up tickets from the nominated station any time up to and including the day of travel. If you get flummoxed by the machine, you can get your tickets from the human in the ticket office!

Hopefully, by pre booking, you've saved some money.

No problem pre ordering Oyster cards, but easy to get at the tube stations at LHR if you need to. Be aware that if you use the tube, you will have to manhandle your luggage up escalators and probably some steps.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pistachio said:

Thanks for that speedy response!! There are no changeable coach tickets, right? Any suggestions on what time would be safe, based on NCL disembarkations? It appears that there are buses leaving 8:50, 9:50, 11:05, 12:20...

To change the ticket (except at arrival at airports) you have to buy a new ticket. So, NCL will probably start walk off disembarkation about 0700-0730. You should be outside the terminal in less than 30 mins, so you could get the 0850 coach. If you have the time, I think I'd go for the 0950 to give you a bit of wiggle room and a more leisurely breakfast. This map shows you the walking route https://goo.gl/maps/G5xzibZBrru3MjAB7

You can walk through the Holiday Inn car park to cut the corner and not go to the roundabout.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pistachio said:

Is it necessary to advance reserve for Coach tickets? We are thinking of taking the coach from Southampton after disembarking, and won't know what time we'll be available to board. It appears that the price increases by quite a bit if you don't reserve.

 

Simon beat me to it.

And nothing to disagree with.

 

But to stress, on the question of whether to pre-book Nat Express

...... yes, that route & time-of-day often books-out - it's the same coach for both Heathrow airport and then central London.,.

..... and yes, the fares are flexible so booking a couple of months out would be a good idea

..... and no, tickets on that route are only good for the coach time that you book.

 

And on what time to book, assuming you're not flying out that day

..... the 08.40 should be easily manageable, but best to disembark unassisted (usually around 7am) to avoid possible lines at the terminal and a possible line for taxis if you choose not to walk (about £7 for a taxi)

.... the 09.50 would give you a more-leisurely assisted disembarkation after the hordes have disembarked.

But with the Nat Express advance fare being only around a fiver, you could give yourselves flexibility by booking both. 

(since the walk-up fare will be about £18, you might even be able to sell the unused ones at a profit :classic_wink:.  And if that coach is sold out you could doubtless be mercenary & hold out for megabucks  :classic_biggrin:

 

JB :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Bull said:

 

Simon beat me to it.

And nothing to disagree with.

 

But to stress, on the question of whether to pre-book Nat Express

...... yes, that route & time-of-day often books-out - it's the same coach for both Heathrow airport and then central London.,.

..... and yes, the fares are flexible so booking a couple of months out would be a good idea

..... and no, tickets on that route are only good for the coach time that you book.

 

And on what time to book, assuming you're not flying out that day

..... the 08.40 should be easily manageable, but best to disembark unassisted (usually around 7am) to avoid possible lines at the terminal and a possible line for taxis if you choose not to walk (about £7 for a taxi)

.... the 09.50 would give you a more-leisurely assisted disembarkation after the hordes have disembarked.

But with the Nat Express advance fare being only around a fiver, you could give yourselves flexibility by booking both. 

(since the walk-up fare will be about £18, you might even be able to sell the unused ones at a profit :classic_wink:.  And if that coach is sold out you could doubtless be mercenary & hold out for megabucks  :classic_biggrin:

 

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks to both of you!! Maybe we will buy both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers and pleased to know human help will be available if we have issues with the machines.

Just to clarify do we pick up the return tickets or just the tickets for the 1st part waterloo to Southampton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can pick them all up at the same time...any time before, or on, the day of travel.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...