Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

We are staying in London for 4 nights once we leave ship.  Transportation from ship to London provided by our TA.  Anyone know the best way to return to Southampton.  We are leaving on the Queen Mary 2 for the return to  NY.

18 hours ago, jedco said:

We are staying in London for 4 nights once we leave ship.  Transportation from ship to London provided by our TA.  Anyone know the best way to return to Southampton.  We are leaving on the Queen Mary 2 for the return to  NY.

We used Smiths from Heathrow to London and London to Southampton. Both times the driver arrived promptly and delivered us to our destination in plenty of time. I had read many good reviews of them here pn Cruise Critic and highly recommend them.

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Best' is a matter of opinion and your views on money and time! Better to say 'options'.

Car service such as Smiths (mentioned above) or West Quay cars. Both reputable and recommended by CCer's. About £100-£150 each way.

National Express coach. Depends a bit on where your hotel is, but if you are anywhere near Victoria, the main coach station is there. About 2 1/2 hrs to Southampton, often around £5, but can be as much as £20. You will need a cab from Southampton coach station to the ship...£7. These are comfortable coaches and used by many CCer's. https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Train. Basically 2 routes. More direct is Waterloo - Southampton Central. About 1hr 15mins. Can be as low as £9 or as high as £45! You have to use the website to choose your service. There is a route from Victoria to Southampton, but its about 2 1/2 hrs and around £43. If I was in the Victoria area, I'd use the National Express coach every time. Again, you would need a cab from the station to the ship.  http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Those are your basic options and as I say, a lot depends on where you are in London (its a big place!) and how much humping of luggage you are willing to do.

Simon

PS I will now be shot down in flames by dastardly JB!!

• Like 3

We've never taken a cab in Southampton. It's a little bit of a hike from both the train station and coach drop-off point but walkable if you're able to handle your luggage easily. We had each had one rolling bag and a backpack.

• Thanks 1

Yes, perfectly possible to walk. City cruise terminal is closest, but QM2 will probably sail from Ocean or QE2 terminal which is probably a 30 min walk, but all on the level.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean
  • Like 1

As Simon's post, transportation from London depends very much on the location of your hotel and your preferences for a private transfer or saving a chunk of cash & using a train or bus (direct services from London Waterloo or London Victoria respectively).

Or taking a ship's over-priced transfer bus, or an independently-operated tour/transfer bus from your hotel to your ship via Stonehenge.

Yes, www.smithsforairports.com and www.westquaycars.com (both based at the Southampton end) are frequently recommended for private transfers. Also Blackberry Cars and others - just search "Southampton transfers" in this forum, but be aware that transfer options from LHR or LGW airports are very different to transfer options from central London.

At the Southampton end, yes it'll be Ocean Cruise Terminal or QE2 Cruise Terminal.

Ocean Terminal is a level walk of about 25 mins from Southampton Central rail station or coach station - though inclement weather is likely to persuade you to jump in a cab.

QE2 terminal may only be a further 10 minutes, but it's deep in the docks on roads with heavy truck traffic - in places separated from pedestrians by only a yellow line. I'd strongly recommend a cab.

Tell us your hotel, date / day-of-the-week, group size & make-up, whether your preferences are for convenience or cost, and anything else you consider relevant, and we can be more precise.

And browse https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

(but don't book a private car transfer thro them, they promote expensive operators)

There's also lots of good London info and logistics on other pages of their website

JB :classic_smile:

We took the train from Victoria station (we were staying in Kensington and took a cab to Victoria station) and it was very easy.  Bought tickets ahead of time online and took the direct train.  It was very cheap but you need to have the credit card you booked the tickets with.  The taxi was very cheap to the cruise terminal from the train station.  Our ship would have been very difficult to walk to and we are big walkers. 

• Like 1

Not to hijack but I have a similar question.  I am pretty sure I'll be at Hotel Xenia in Kensington OR the Chamberlain (leaning to Xenia as it looks to be closer to a few tube stations, please correct me if I am wrong.)  Looking to head to Southampton the day prior to my QM2 sailing in November.  I'd like easy and convenient. It's just me with 2 suitcases, a tote and whatever else I manage to acquire over 4 days total in London and Dublin....

I'm not opposed to a private car service transfer but would like to keep it in the £100 range or less if possible. And hauling the luggage up and down steps is really not a good option.

Thanks for any guidance...(see Simon, you get to help me now!!  😄 😄 😄 )

20 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Not to hijack but I have a similar question.  I am pretty sure I'll be at Hotel Xenia in Kensington OR the Chamberlain (leaning to Xenia as it looks to be closer to a few tube stations, please correct me if I am wrong.)  Looking to head to Southampton the day prior to my QM2 sailing in November.  I'd like easy and convenient. It's just me with 2 suitcases, a tote and whatever else I manage to acquire over 4 days total in London and Dublin....

I'm not opposed to a private car service transfer but would like to keep it in the £100 range or less if possible. And hauling the luggage up and down steps is really not a good option.

Thanks for any guidance...(see Simon, you get to help me now!!  😄 😄 😄 )

If this is the Chamberlain in The Minories, it's a totally different area to the Xenia on Cromwell Road.

Chamberlain is at the eastern end of central London ,a 10-min walk to The Tower. 5 min walk from either Aldgate or Tower Hill tube stations.

Xenia is at the western end, a 15 min walk to the Nat History, V&A, and Science museums. 10 min walk from either Gloucester Road or Earls Court tube stations.

So I don't see there's a lot of difference between the two for London sight-seeing.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

But for transportation to/from Southampton (and LHR or LGW airports) Xenia is much better-placed. 

The Chamberlain would be a mite more expensive by private transfer, but you won't get a quote to Southampton for either within your £100.  £130 - £145 would be closer to the mark.

Xenia is closer (15 mins by taxi) to Victoria coach station  or Hammersmith Broadway (intermediate coach stop) for a coach to Southampton or LHR   https://www.nationalexpress.com/en 

By coach is your cheapest (and a tolerably easy) option.

Xenia is also closer for a train to Southampton from Victoria as per JJean's post, but the hourly direct trains take a circuitous route - something over 2.5 hrs. 

From the Chamberlain, the Southampton trains from Waterloo station are much faster (about 90 minutes) and more frequent (about 3 per hour), and Waterloo station is closer than Victoria 

Walk-up train fares are about £40, but about half that if pre-booked from about 6 weeks out.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

That said, there'll be no help with luggage so the train might not be the best choice for a singleton with 2 cases+.

Brew a big pot of coffee, and read again :classic_wink:

22 minutes ago, John Bull said:

If this is the Chamberlain in The Minories, it's a totally different area to the Xenia on Cromwell Road.

Chamberlain is at the eastern end of central London ,a 10-min walk to The Tower. 5 min walk from either Aldgate or Tower Hill tube stations.

Xenia is at the western end, a 15 min walk to the Nat History, V&A, and Science museums. 10 min walk from either Gloucester Road or Earls Court tube stations.

So I don't see there's a lot of difference between the two for London sight-seeing.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

But for transportation to/from Southampton (and LHR or LGW airports) Xenia is much better-placed. 

The Chamberlain would be a mite more expensive by private transfer, but you won't get a quote to Southampton for either within your £100.  £130 - £145 would be closer to the mark.

Xenia is closer (15 mins by taxi) to Victoria coach station  or Hammersmith Broadway (intermediate coach stop) for a coach to Southampton or LHR   https://www.nationalexpress.com/en 

By coach is your cheapest (and a tolerably easy) option.

Xenia is also closer for a train to Southampton from Victoria as per JJean's post, but the hourly direct trains take a circuitous route - something over 2.5 hrs. 

From the Chamberlain, the Southampton trains from Waterloo station are much faster (about 90 minutes) and more frequent (about 3 per hour), and Waterloo station is closer than Victoria 

Walk-up train fares are about £40, but about half that if pre-booked from about 6 weeks out.

That said, there'll be no help with luggage so the train might not be the best choice for a singleton with 2 cases+.

Brew a big pot of coffee, and read again :classic_wink:

I could use another cup of coffee!

Thanks for the advice..yes, that's the Chamberlain I was referring to.   Thanks for those links as well.  I am OK with a longer train ride, I'd get to see more 😉 I suppose, but the bus might make the most sense, especially after 4 days of touring and travel......I was thinking of staying an extra night in London and just taking Cunard's transfers BUT I sort of fancy seeing the ship arrive so I'll head down the night before.  (Plus hotels in Southampton are considerably cheaper!! :) )

I may fly from DUB-LCY as advised elsewhere on CC though I sort of want to fly on Aer Lingus as opposed to CityJet, thus I'll likely arrive at LHR.  (Just a silly thing I've always had in my mind and the price from the US to DUB is substantially higher than it is on AA or UA, so I'm not taking them across the pond, but I digress)

Now to find someplace for Sunday Roast....even if it involves a short taxi or tube ride!  

Jumping in to ask for advice. I'm 4 days in London and staying at The Mad Hatter, according to their web site it's a "7 minute" walk to the Waterloo East Station. I would not attempt walking with suitcases 😟. Does the train from here go to South Hampton? If I take the train would I be able to go in the morning or would it be better to go the night before? Lots of guestions, sorry 🙂. I'll be there in September if that makes a difference and cruising on the NCL Star.

Edited by chk-gnt
spelling

20 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

I could use another cup of coffee!

Thanks for the advice..yes, that's the Chamberlain I was referring to.   Thanks for those links as well.  I am OK with a longer train ride, I'd get to see more 😉 I suppose, but the bus might make the most sense, especially after 4 days of touring and travel......I was thinking of staying an extra night in London and just taking Cunard's transfers BUT I sort of fancy seeing the ship arrive so I'll head down the night before.  (Plus hotels in Southampton are considerably cheaper!! :) )

I may fly from DUB-LCY as advised elsewhere on CC though I sort of want to fly on Aer Lingus as opposed to CityJet, thus I'll likely arrive at LHR.  (Just a silly thing I've always had in my mind and the price from the US to DUB is substantially higher than it is on AA or UA, so I'm not taking them across the pond, but I digress)

Now to find someplace for Sunday Roast....even if it involves a short taxi or tube ride!  

Yes, the circuitous train route is a little prettier - look out for Arundel castle & cathedral (on the right just before Arundel station).

Money-wise the Nat Express bus makes more sense than Cunard's transfer coach. Both depart from Victoria coach station, though Cunard will probably also offer one from St Pancras station (geared to Eurostar passengers). By Nat Express add to the £5 to £8 coach fare another £5 - £10 for a taxi from Southampton coach station to ship. So about £15 compared to about £80 (?) by Cunard. 

But yes, Southampton hotels are waaaaay better value than central London.

And yes, you can watch your ship sail in. Just set your alarm for 4am. :classic_ohmy:

Chamberlain is much the more convenient  from LCY

10 minutes ago, chk-gnt said:

Jumping in to ask for advice. I'm 4 days in London and staying at The Mad Hatter, according to their web site it's a "7 minute" walk to the Waterloo East Station. I would not attempt walking with suitcases 😟. Does the train from here go to South Hampton? If I take the train would I be able to go in the morning or would it be better to go the night before? Lots of guestions, sorry 🙂. I'll be there in September if that makes a difference and cruising on the NCL Star.

Southampton (all one word) trains leave from Waterloo station. But it's yards from Waterloo East so just ask the driver for Waterloo station.

Yes, easy enough on the morning of your sailing - aim to be in Southampton by about 1pm.

Buy tickets about 6 weeks out, well under £20 compared to the walk-up fare of over £43.

But those cheap advance tickets can only be used for the train time that you've booked - don't miss it or your ticket is trash & you'll pay another £43 for a walk-up ticket.

To see the price differences check a random date in the coming weeks against your date or a random date 8 weeks out.

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Yes, the circuitous train route is a little prettier - look out for Arundel castle & cathedral (on the right just before Arundel station).

Money-wise the Nat Express bus makes more sense than Cunard's transfer coach. Both depart from Victoria coach station, though Cunard will probably also offer one from St Pancras station (geared to Eurostar passengers). By Nat Express add to the £5 to £8 coach fare another £5 - £10 for a taxi from Southampton coach station to ship. So about £15 compared to about £80 (?) by Cunard. 

But yes, Southampton hotels are waaaaay better value than central London.

And yes, you can watch your ship sail in. Just set your alarm for 4am. :classic_ohmy:

Chamberlain is much the more convenient  from LCY

Sleep?? What's that??  Especially the night before a cruise!  That'll never happen!!

Thanks bunches.....and I'm fine with saving money.  I'm not a huge fan of buses as a rule, but I think I'd be ok.....it'll be exciting!

Hi Meg

JB, being the retiree that he is, has answered all your questions whilst I've been slaving away! Just to let you know I wasn't ignoring you.

Its dead easy to take the coach and they are much more comfortable (in my limited experience!) than US versions (eg Greyhound). Heres a couple of vids to show you what its like. (One promo and 2 vlogs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7qhalPzgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlsoKmKgwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84rnVap47A

Simon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

Hi Meg

JB, being the retiree that he is, has answered all your questions whilst I've been slaving away! Just to let you know I wasn't ignoring you.

Its dead easy to take the coach and they are much more comfortable (in my limited experience!) than US versions (eg Greyhound). Heres a couple of vids to show you what its like. (One promo and 2 vlogs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7qhalPzgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlsoKmKgwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84rnVap47A

Simon

I'd never think that!  😄 😄 

Thanks for the vids..... 

11 hours ago, chk-gnt said:

Jumping in to ask for advice. I'm 4 days in London and staying at The Mad Hatter, according to their web site it's a "7 minute" walk to the Waterloo East Station. I would not attempt walking with suitcases . 

I had to look up the Mad Hatter.  It’s a good spot near the river in the increasingly popular, but busy, Southwark area - Blackfriars tube over the river and Southwark tube the other way down Blackfriars Road are easy walks (without luggage!) - will be busy at rush hour. (For other locals who can’t place it, it’s at the junction of Stamford Street and Blackfriars Road, so near Sea Containers House)

JB has answered your question about Waterloo Station - there is an entrance to Waterloo East considerably closer to the hotel, but will leave you with a tricky walk with luggage through the stations (they are connected by an enclosed bridge over Waterloo Road), so as he said make sure to specify Waterloo. 

It looks like a typical Fullers faux-Victorian Ale and Pie pub with rooms. You’ll get decent beer and pub grub if you choose to eat there. Dont be fooled that it’s an old pub, though 😀 I remember it as Tress House, an office block that was home to some of the supermarket chain Sainsbury’s head office functions (they had several buildings close by). Named after Tress &. Co, a hat manufacturer, that occupied the site until the 1950s. Hence the ‘Mad Hatter’ reference - the disease, rather than the Lewis Carroll character, though no doubt they use that in their decor.  

Edit it to add: Great picture of the site in the hat making days on this family history site: https://tresshistory.com/photos/william-tress-b-c-1715-and-mary-barnes/william-tress-b-1744-and-sarah-clifford-children/cooper-tress-and-ann-vinten/tress-co-hat-factory-southwalk-london/

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Please redirect me if I should be posting this elsewhere.... We're taking a side trip to Isle of Man before the cruise.  Upon our return to London we'll be arriving at the Gatwick airport. We need to get from Gatwick to Winchester (The King Alfred) for a night before traveling on to the port for our cruise. What is the best means of transport to get to Winchester, and then on to Southampton? We're four senior citizens with luggage.  I've looked at the train websites and left there more confused than ever. Thanks ever so much!!

Hi, dotted line,

The rail operators don't like to make it too easy for visitors :classic_rolleyes:

And my post will probably confuse more than help :classic_biggrin:, but here goes .........

This for mondays to saturdays - if your trip is on a long holiday weekend or a sunday, post back with your date.

The simplest website is the national rail website - timetables and prices are exactly the same as the regional operators' but it incorporates all of those operators, avoiding the need to hunt the web.

There's no direct rail route Gatwick to Winchester.

You have two choices, both involve one change of train.

Think of Gatwick being on the right-hand side of a circle, and Winchester on the left. You have two choices - you can go via a change at the top of the circle, or  a change at the bottom of the circle.

The northerly route......From Gatwick toward London, and a change in south London at Clapham Junction for a train toward Southampton.

Half-hourly service from Gatwick to Clapham Junction, then 3-trains per hour from Clapham Junction to Winchester. 

Fare total £33 pp, total journey time about 1 hr 40 minutes. Clapham Junction is a major hub, and schlepping luggage from one platform to another might be problematic for some.

The southerly route .....  On the website you have to go into "Journey details" then "Advance search" and add via "Southampton".  Or simply check out Gatwick to Southampton, then Southampton to Winchester.  

Hourly service from Gatwick to Southampton, then 3 trains per hour Southampton to Winchester.

Fare total about £23 pp, total journey time about 2 hrs 10 mins. The change at Southampton is comparatively easy - there are only 4 platforms, and an elevator to get you from one platform to the other.

So there are pros & cons for the two rail routes.

Pour yourself a stiff drink before you go into that website :classic_wacko:

I've also checked out the option of a National Express bus. For this trip there are only a few services per day, it too involves a change (at Heathrow or Southampton), total journey time around 4 hrs, fares are actually higher,, and the Winchester bus stop is much less convenient for the King Alfred hotel than the rail station.

If you want to dig deeper into your pocket, a private transfer would cost in the order of £100 to £120. I can suggest a few operators.

Edited by John Bull

John Bull, thank you so much!  I was thinking of visiting Winchester for an evening pre-cruise, but, it's beginning to sound much simpler to just go on to Southampton. It looks like Gatwick has a direct train to Southampton Central, correct? We'll be arriving in Gatwick's north terminal. Is there a train station there or is it in the south terminal? How do I know what platform. 

I apologize for being so needy! I've never been on a train aside from the narrow gauge tourist trains. 

Thank you for your time and effort. It's so appreciated!

Rhonda

15 minutes ago, dottedline said:

John Bull, thank you so much!  I was thinking of visiting Winchester for an evening pre-cruise, but, it's beginning to sound much simpler to just go on to Southampton. It looks like Gatwick has a direct train to Southampton Central, correct? We'll be arriving in Gatwick's north terminal. Is there a train station there or is it in the south terminal? How do I know what platform. 

I apologize for being so needy! I've never been on a train aside from the narrow gauge tourist trains. 

Thank you for your time and effort. It's so appreciated!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

Yes, much simpler to take the direct hourly train to Southampton Central from Gatwick's South Terminal (shuttle from North Terminal if your flight lands there) .

The only caveat - there's no direct train service on  a sunday or holiday-weekend monday. I usually recommend the train for mon-sat, but the Nat Express bus if it's a sunday or holiday-monday. 

Broadly the same Gatwick travel info at

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_southampton.htm

By train there's no assistance with luggage, but platform to train will be either step-free or one easy step. Luggage space on trains is limited, sit where you can see the luggage section or group your bags around you.

Trains are quicker and more passenger-friendly than Amtrak. 

Lots of hotels convenient to Southampton Central station and/or cruise terminals, most of them on

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

(useful thumbnail map at the bottom of the page shows the hotels, the rail station and cruise terminals).

I don't know your flight time (or your reaction to jet-lag) but it's very cheap and easy (about £10 return tickets, 3 trains per hour, under 20 mins travel time) to take a train from Southampton to Winchester if you wanted to look round that city after you've booked into a hotel, or even on cruise morning.

• Like 1

I even checked the local buses to see if there was a way round...there isn't! If you really want to go to Winchester, I think you will have to build a day into your schedule and go there on a day trip from Southampton...which is pretty easy.

Simon

• 1 month later...

One of the most popular questions on this board, and it makes sense especially for folks taking their first cruise calling at Southampton, is how to either get to or from port upon arrival after the cruise or at the start of their journey. The planes don't land nearby so it's a fair question but since it gets asked so often, I've noticed then that other topics, might get lost or overlooked among the important transit info requests which our incredible community are always here assist with.

Is My Question Already Answered Here?

Maybe! Since there can be a variety of different situations, but then, maybe not too many far out different ones, the transit information you require - other than exact dates/times - might just be found within these posts and links. Which train, how to get tickets; how to get a private car, what does it cost etc; what other options exist if I want neither of those things? 

Why Look Here?

They're not pros, but they know. I reached out to our community here not long ago and some of our tried and true, seasoned contributors were 'on board' (sorry about the pun!) with the idea and so here we go with a trial. On other boards, I am seeing 'themed' topic posts do well when they stay focused and on point, so hopefully that might be the case here. I am going to get one going separately for airport transit.

My hope is that with individuating the transport major topics - other ports obviously have different transit requirements and no one is required to post here to get a transit question answered - that topics on specific items like sightseeing, food, culture, weather, accommodations, itinerary ideas.....these topics will get more visibility and replies.

The number one key to getting replies is providing clues to what you need in your post subject title but otherwise, I see a lot of posts get lost amongst so many 'How to get from....' posts that I can understand why certain topics might inadvertently get overlooked.

Hopefully this might get an abundance of information to as many cruisers as possible in the usual Western Europe/British Isles Cruise Critic community in the usual brilliant style, but even more brilliant.

Oh yes....I said it. More brilliant. 😄

https://tenor.com/view/penguin-working-hat-suitcase-cute-gif-3478076

Let's have a go, shall we?

Thanks everyone, as always, we appreciate you so much!!!

(Below I've collected some recent transit topics to get this kick started...original posts and replies in tact of course. Enough of me. Now add in your transit queries, comments and thoughts!)

Edited by Host Bonjour
  • Thanks 1