1st time Viking Danube cruise advice

Bobblehat71

Hi All,

Looking to book our first river cruise on the Danube this year. 

We have the option of Passau to Budapest or Budapest to Passau. 

Obviously the ports of call are the same but is there a preferred direction on Travel? Will be flying from the UK.

Any advice much appreciated.

Bob

Suggest you look to the flight schedule to help you decide.

We went on Viking last year Passau to Buda and there was a longish coach trip from Munich  airport (1h45 ish).

Quite interesting in daytime and at start of trip, but at end if they want you off boat before new guests arrive and at airport 3 hours before flight then that's an early start. Budapest airport is very close to city centre where boat docks.

Also since you have to journey from/to Wales....

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pontac said:

Suggest you look to the flight schedule to help you decide.

We went on Viking last year Passau to Buda and there was a longish coach trip from Munich  airport (1h45 ish).

Quite interesting in daytime and at start of trip, but at end if they want you off boat before new guests arrive and at airport 3 hours before flight then that's an early start. Budapest airport is very close to city centre where boat docks.

Also since you have to journey from/to Wales....

Thanks Pontac,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Probably best to get the Munich - Passau Transfer out of the way. 

Do you know which airlines Viking use or is it a random selection?

Just now, Bobblehat71 said:

Thanks Pontac,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Probably best to get the Munich - Passau Transfer out of the way. 

Do you know which airlines Viking use or is it a random selection?

It was BA , and decent flight times. A 13:35 departure from Budapest gave time for a lazy breakfast on board

12:40 BA962 LHR> Munich

BA867 to LHR

13:15 Budapest>LHR

Hello Bobblehat71,

I would suggest the Passau to Budapest direction as many cruisers have raved about sailing into Budapest. I did a round-trip cruise and sailed towards Budapest but had a coach excursion which took us into Budapest. Sailing into Passau is nice but if you do not have post-cruise time on arrival it does not do the small town justice. An evening in Budapest is preferable to an evening in Passau. All those lights are fabulous. 

Excellent help from pontac, of course. ☺️  The flight schedule looks doable from Wales - unless you are in Anglesey, very early morning then. A UK operator would offer flights from other airports, like Manchester or Birmingham. I gather with Viking that is not an option? Have you looked into this?

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hello Bobblehat71,

I would suggest the Passau to Budapest direction as many cruisers have raved about sailing into Budapest. I did a round-trip cruise and sailed towards Budapest but had a coach excursion which took us into Budapest. Sailing into Passau is nice but if you do not have post-cruise time on arrival it does not do the small town justice. An evening in Budapest is preferable to an evening in Passau. All those lights are fabulous. 

Excellent help from pontac, of course. ☺️  The flight schedule looks doable from Wales - unless you are in Anglesey, very early morning then. A UK operator would offer flights from other airports, like Manchester or Birmingham. I gather with Viking that is not an option? Have you looked into this?

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Thank you , 

Just booked a few minutes ago! 

Passau to Budapest. Flying from Heathrow London . Its around 2 hours from home to Heathrow so that will be fine.

This way we will hopefully be in Passau by late afternoon . 

4 hours ago, Bobblehat71 said:

I take it you enjoyed the cruise?

Oh Yes!!

So relaxing, no worries, good choice of food, nice wine, and sightseeing trips included.

If you like wine I can recommend very highly the trip to Morwald Winery in Austria. They supply Vikings house wines of Gruner Veltliner and Zweigelt.  Owner/winemaker Erhard Morwald  leads the tour and gives a very generous tasting. Erhard is very amusing, a real treat.

That was our 7th Viking river cruise; our eighth is on June

• Like 1