Silver Cloud-Capetown to Lisbon-March 28-May 1

rich48100

I cruised from Cape Town to Barcelona on Silver Wind in March 2014, 37 nights, which included the three countries which have been deleted from your original itinerary.

In Luanda, I walked virtually the entire length of the Promenade, the Marginale, out on the landward side and returning on the seaward side, without any fear, a thoroughly enjoyable experience, like a Corniche on the Riveria.  In fact, we bumped into a crew member who was doing similarly.

We had to skip Sao Tome due to adverse weather preventing tendering, and just sailed round and round the island all day.  Bom Bom is just next door and we were fortunate to have good weather the following day, and spent several  hours on this island retreat which had little to offer.  A fellow passenger made an extremely quick exit from the sea, when she encountered a large sea snake.  Fortunately being Australian, she knew what she was up against!!  Crew granted shore leave spent the time in the café restaurant on the small pier where our tender boats came alongside.

Arriving in Takoradi, we spent some time in the Central Market, which was very interesting.  We returned to the point where the ship's shuttle had dropped us which was set up as a 'taxi hire'.  A despatcher took names of passengers and their destinations which he recorded and then passed a slip to the next taxi in line.  He therefore had a record of the details of the taxi, the driver's name and the taxi number, which each passenger took and I felt very secure in the knowledge that at least my whereabouts were known.  My taxi driver was very protective and diligent in returning me back to base by the expected time. In fact my return was noted by the taxi scheduler.  A very well organised private arrangement.

I enjoyed my time in Sekondi Takoradi and saw some more of the countryside, which I would not have seen had I stayed in town.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

To all that have been giving suggestions concerning places to go and things to see while in the ports upcoming for us, thanks a lot.  Nice to have other insights before we get there.

Yesterday was a great excursion out into the Lagoons of Walvis Bay.  Pelicans and seals up close and personal.  Nice weather, and the wildlife is plentiful.

we are now cruising to Namibe, Angola.

23238D85-E03B-4D47-84C9-24DE74AAE860.jpeg

FC69EE23-D807-4867-A954-5497A401B798.jpeg

BE173CB9-3F44-4375-A349-4644CAC0B0A7.jpeg

4EB6D115-336D-4E1D-9E75-ACC0F246B06A.jpeg

B4460232-5ACA-4486-9CD3-F4E226577FDF.jpeg

• Like 2

Made it to Namibe, Angola.  Went to the desert to see Welwitschia Mirabilis, a plant that is up to 2000 years old.  Root could go down a kilometer or more.  Plat doesnt look pretty, but long lasting.  Then went to see some arches in Arch Lagoon, where arches out of rock are formed naturally.  Long hot trip, but interesting sights.

got back in time for lunch and rest.  On our way to Lobito, Angola and another early start.  I guess it is good to beat the heat, but makes for an early morning to fit in breakfast.  Expedition cruising must be like that.

here are a couple of pictures from today.

DDB82A45-31ED-4554-9673-CFEBB71102D4.jpeg

A1D85CBA-7894-43F9-94E6-13F262CBFEE6.jpeg

CAF0C39A-0998-4F99-8336-8A849C8488A9.jpeg

DE0BF83E-0FCC-47F6-8945-0C9529F31718.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Rich and Barbara, very nice to be back on board with y'all (well vicariously considering the five weeks we shared on Regent's Mariner last October/November).

Catching up on your delightful posts and terrific photos--thanks for sharing.

Just, food for thought, you might want to consider booking the new Silver Moon fall crossing on board (to get the discount) your/our TA will be on board and is providing

terrific benefits.  Now, we have a half dozen seasoned Silversea cruise critics signed up for the Moon fall Cross (Stumblefoot, Wellseasoned, JollyJones, Rojann, ZQTchas, Etual)

Keep enjoying the Cloud--our fav cruise was on the Cloud (London to London back in 2014).

Wes, thanks for the offer to join you all on the Moon cruise, but we have a trip to Egypt and Jordan long planned for that time.  I am sure with all those folks it will be a wonderful trip.

We are currently in Luanda and finished a city tour.  Hot and Humid, so glad athe tour was in the morning.  Interesting sited honoring Neto, the first Angolan president after the civil war.  Will go to a performance tonight which is a somber look at those time.  Lots of discussion about Portuguese colonialism.

intersting after visiting Namib and Lobito in Angola, the stark contrast to Luanda.  It doesn’t seem like a lot of money has trickled down to those areas, but more modern buildings and potentially better lifestyle in Luanda.  The guide we had said that the oil industry is in tough shape these days, lots of layoffs including him, and life is tough.

anyway, here are a few pics.

8A1E8AA4-7BFC-4071-8F32-AA5DC23CF1D3.jpeg

DDC029CF-CDAD-443D-BF87-8752F82DF2A8.jpeg

95FE2FC2-9C9C-4219-997A-AB14B7767E88.jpeg

A849A597-C567-48EF-A342-5EC112A00B81.jpeg

DD902742-19D6-4C23-A200-A647698F504E.jpeg

415E21FC-6E22-46F1-B9A0-5D96DCC7C9B2.jpeg

50961259-9478-4BC8-9FC8-F3EB79072E76.jpeg

EDC6CAD4-418B-40C6-B36E-C123D1FE81DD.jpeg

Second day in Luanda, and went to slave museum, outdoor crafts mall, and Miradoura de lua, and interesting weathered rock formation.  Long drives out of the cities, but worth it seeing all the sites.  Of coarse, the slave museum was sobering, but needed to see it.  Still lots of poverty and poor living conditions in Luanda, even with oil wealth.  Problems with getting monies to the people.

crafts spot had a lot to choose fro. We managed to avoid buying a lot, but did contribute to the economy.

the Miradoura was interesting, and reminded me of Bryce Canyon.  Really interesting rock formations.

two sea days to recuperate, and renew our batteries for the rest of the trip.  

Here Rd are some photos.

99A2E51C-FB69-403A-A14C-6AD9A1BA5E7A.jpeg

04DAA1CE-91F3-448B-B027-4DE77EAAAC2E.jpeg

245AA9F8-CF8F-4192-860B-CFBABAB11211.jpeg

D649A8B8-730D-4B18-9EF7-CD0CF3771C44.jpeg

3AE56BA7-9E29-4B9A-AEA4-BACB4B76EA58.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Rich48100,

I am enjoying following your itinerary. Please tell us  what you think of the ship/service/food/excursion staff etc. Are they using the zodiacs to reach shore? If so, are you staying dry or getting wet? We board the Cloud in Amsterdam in 37 days.

So far everything has been fine.  Food is good, but menus are not as varied as Regent, but this is an expedition ship so didn’t expect it.  Wife is gluten free and they have worked with us on food that will agree with her.  Expedition staf has been knowledgeable and approachable. Very friendly.

The ship so far has been able to get into the ports, but our next port, São Tomé and Principe, we will be using zodiacs.  Having a mandatory zodiac briefing today.  We have our water shoes in case we have a wet landing, so we will see what they tell us.

water is very calm, and it has been a smooth ride our entire cruise so far.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rich48100 said:

So far everything has been fine.  Food is good, but menus are not as varied as Regent, but this is an expedition ship so didn’t expect it.  Wife is gluten free and they have worked with us on food that will agree with her.  Expedition staf has been knowledgeable and approachable. Very friendly.

The ship so far has been able to get into the ports, but our next port, São Tomé and Principe, we will be using zodiacs.  Having a mandatory zodiac briefing today.  We have our water shoes in case we have a wet landing, so we will see what they tell us.

water is very calm, and it has been a smooth ride our entire cruise so far.

Thanks for the update. If you have a chance tomorrow in Sao Tome go and visit Claudio Corallo’s Chocolate Factory, it’s not that far from the wharf and he makes some of the best chocolate that we have ever tasted.

• Like 1

I am on this cruise. It's going very well. There are a couple nites where they suggest a jacket. But no tie. If that is a problem we just order room service dinner. Staff is great. Ocean is calm. Weather is hot. We've had only a little rain. Today we're anchored off Principe. I am looking right now at heavy forest and a beautiful beach in the distance. Littleredjohn

• Like 1

Thanks Rich, Barbara and Little Red John for continuing to share your Cloud voyage with us.

In mid June, looking forward to boarding the Cloud again (now as expedition ship) in Reyjkavik.

• Like 1

Althecat, it has been a very casual cruise. No jackets necessary.  I didn’t bring one, and haven’t felt out of place.

wes, sorry we will miss you in Iceland, as we go in August.

spent the last two days on São Tomé and then Principe.  Interesting area, and enjoyed ourselves at the resort on Principe.  Now heading to Takoradi, Ghana.

After a couple of relaxing days at sea, we went to Takoradi, Ghana to a school and then to Gold Voast Caste and Elmira Castle.  Not really Castles, more like forts and actually places where potential slaves were kept before being shipped to North and South America.  Really eye opening, although have read about them, but seeing them and hearing descriptions was another confirmation of what mans inhumanity to man can actually be like.  Many didn’t survive the confinement to even get to the ship that would transport them.  Terrible!!!!!!

here are a few pics.  Unfortunately some didn’t upload.1ADF7DC8-AFE9-4620-9B11-BA551B5EDBAC.thumb.jpeg.43f9b98711b2157183736093fa69841d.jpeg

286820B5-A562-48FA-B813-793BF090E58E.jpeg

D59A8DDE-2C84-49E6-8A97-37AF8E9BB235.jpeg

53E83411-4F0D-4ACA-8677-019B79D9A68E.jpeg

DA53175E-DB1B-4B36-A6E0-D517D5DCD2F6.jpeg

136C40B6-329E-4C9D-9B71-6E4CCA31E4DF.jpeg

93BD8819-A60D-48D2-AFC6-7E8FF8CF8A45.jpeg

F9197A6C-E96A-4C68-A235-4372468D118F.jpeg

My closest friend, Jerry Day, from California, is on your cruise. I have been following his postings on Facebook as well as your daily entries on here. I sometimes see him in your photos. He is easy to spot as he is in his late 60s, just over 6 feet tall, bushy mustache, and white hair, and is rarely seen without his baseball cap and knapsack. Seems he shares your sentiments on this cruise and sites. He, too, was disappointed by the modification of the ports, although he has been recently to various parts of Africa. I  noticed your fave cruise was Antarctica, as, I believe, has been his, and where he has gone a few times.  He has included in his journeys everywhere penguins exist, and has had various treks to experience the guerillas in their habitat. He is an ongoing traveler and was just back from Egypt a few weeks before he boarded this cruise.  He said he had not met anyone yet from OK but will look for you. I am in North Dallas now, but will join him again a few months for a trip to Easter Island.

Edited by SpongeTom67

10 hours ago, rich48100 said:

After a couple of relaxing days at sea, we went to Takoradi, Ghana to a school and then to Gold Voast Caste and Elmira Castle.  Not really Castles, more like forts and actually places where potential slaves were kept before being shipped to North and South America.  Really eye opening, although have read about them, but seeing them and hearing descriptions was another confirmation of what mans inhumanity to man can actually be like.  Many didn’t survive the confinement to even get to the ship that would transport them.  Terrible!!!!!!

Appreciate these wonderful posts, pictures and various follow-ups.  Nice to be following along on your journey up the western coast of Africa.  Yes, sadly, some of the history from this region is not all pretty and/or perfect.  Keep up the great sharing and interesting details/visuals. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

spongetom67,  I am sure I have seen your friend, but have not met him.  Will look a little closer for that bushy mustache and baseball cap.

petlover, no mid calf boots.  Landings have been dry so far and waters warm so if there is a wet landing we have our water shoes.  I know wen we go to Iceland and Greenland on the Cloud later this year they have those boots for rent, not for free or automatically provided, according to their website.

now for excursion yesterday to a wildlife park and overlook site as well as botanical garden.  Timings were off for the sites, and a little more strenuous than in the description of the tour.  Unfortunately on person fell and cuts and bruises but nothing broken.  

Otherwise enjoyable tour with wildlife sitings, nice views, and wish we had more time to spend at botanical gardens, but had to be cut short because the timings were off.

here are some pics

49F02263-20CB-45EC-A7B0-673278632702.jpeg

0784DCA6-84AA-4D0B-9B6A-87FCDAD11970.jpeg

34B2E6DB-B104-4AEE-97F1-C4D1902EF464.jpeg

87A7E5DC-8EA1-4641-B023-4E7BF8D82EEC.jpeg

DD27C261-0848-4394-8371-1E8CE60668D5.jpeg

D66FC33C-4911-44C6-9346-7D7B89686A2F.jpeg

438D617B-14C5-4412-A469-A35769235C94.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for your continued well done Cloud Expedition reports Rich.  When are Barbara and you doing Greenland & Iceland later this year  Am joining the Cloud mid June for Reykjavik to Tromso but may join in London if clear the waitlist.

First impression on board, all is nice and shining and if you wanna start a diet it is definately the place to be. Water doesn t deserve its name and the food .. let s put it this way I gonna be thin and slim after this cruise