Norwegian vs Princess

swom

Can anyone that has cruised both these lines tell me the greatest difference they have found between the two. I really like "free style" cruising, but I love the ports of call on Princess for southern caribbean for next year and was wondering what people here thought of Princess lines compared to Norwegian and why.

Thanks in advance.

Well, to tell teh truth, Princess has their version of Freestyle cruising too.

They have something called personal choice dining (dine when you want, just like NCL).

They set aside one of the 2 main dining rooms for Traditional dining and then have 2 other dining rooms for personal choice.

Princess does have other dining too, like NCL (Maybe not as many but pretty close). I've done NCL Dawn, liked it very much and will be trying Crown Princess this summer, looking forward to it.

So, keep checking and reading these boards and you'll find mucho information. Go to NCL and Princess web site, it is all explained there too!

I am Platinum on Princess, taking my 4th NCL on the Sun 2/25. The main difference is in formality. I do not pack a sport coat or tie for NCL. NCL handles freestyle dining much, much better than Princess' Personal choice. Unless there is a huge party, you are seated immediately. No beepers, no waiting. Also NCL has an "upsell" desk, where you can purchase upgrades for a fraction of the price.

We go on 2 cruises a year. Winter Caribbean/Mexico for relaxation. Fall for sightseeing in Europe/Asia. I like NCL for relaxation. Fall,I choose the line by ports.

Sam

Have sailed both and since I really like freestyle dining, Princess is the only other line I would consider because they do offer personal choice dining. I am delighted that both lines will be sailing out of New York and in October, I look forward to seeing how the new Crown Princess compares to the Norwegian Dawn.

We prefer NCL over Princess; however loved the MUTS on Princess. We are not "pool" people but loved watching a movie outdoors both day and night. We made reservations on Princess even with PC dining due to waits for a table on Caribbean Princess. NCL never had this problem. We prefer food selection on NCL over Princess (both were good). Love the Bread Pudding on NCL - The best! Prefer room selection on NCL ships (Star/Dawn/Jewel) over Princess when traveling with family. NCL more casual and loved the casual debarkation (stay in your room) as you will not get this with Princess!

Everyone may have a different opinion - you must try different things to compare and see what you prefer and what is most important to you. We have sailed Carnival and RCCL twice each and they are not our preferences. RCCL was nice, tried 2 different newer ships and we had a good time - just found that we prefer NCL or Princess.

Best of Luck to you with your decision.

Archived