Romantic AMAWaterways Danube river cruise from Vilshofen,to Budapest .

thunter1224

7 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

We are leaving from the same airport as we will be flying back to.. maybe I can get a list from customs while we are waiting for our flight to board .. 

Looking online I am seeing mixed postings.. some say no meats , some say no uncooked meats .. and cheese has the same thing going on..   So I may just bring back Paprika and strudel.. and maybe some wine.    

Wouldn’t the sausage go bad if not refrigerated? Seems like too much trouble. lol 

8 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

We are leaving from the same airport as we will be flying back to.. maybe I can get a list from customs while we are waiting for our flight to board .. 

Looking online I am seeing mixed postings.. some say no meats , some say no uncooked meats .. and cheese has the same thing going on..   So I may just bring back Paprika and strudel.. and maybe some wine.    

Don't do meat. I had an unfortunate incident with beef jerky I had bought at Sam's Club in the US and brought to Japan with me in my carry on and brought back home with me and got caught by that cute little blood hound. I got lucky and only got a warning and my luggage was extensively searched. I thought it would prevent me from getting my Global Entry card years later. Dried or regular meat is a no go with US Customs.

When in doubt if you have anything - just declare it and don't try to hide it. There are cute blood hounds out there.

Here is a link addressing meat:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat%2C-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s. 

Edited by Coral

On 4/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Got2Cruise said:

They do not provide lunches for the long days. We take this as an opportunity to sample authentic regional foods. There  are food stands in Salzburg so you can sample a sandwich and a drink for not much money. Plus don’t forget the desserts in that region. lol. You will definitely return in time for dinner. Don’t worry about that. And, if you choose the optional excursion to a concert hall in Vienna, the dining room will be open early to accommodate the group attending the concert. You won’t go hungry. 

Rather than take the Salzburg tour we opted for the Cesky Krumlov tour which I and all others on the tour loved. Pedestrianised Medieval town, virtually intact with the second largest Castle in Bavaria. It was interesting that at dinner that night everyone was raving about Cesky Krumlov, but those that went to Salzburg were rather subdued

2 hours ago, MikeBR said:

Rather than take the Salzburg tour we opted for the Cesky Krumlov tour which I and all others on the tour loved. Pedestrianised Medieval town, virtually intact with the second largest Castle in Bavaria. It was interesting that at dinner that night everyone was raving about Cesky Krumlov, but those that went to Salzburg were rather subdued

I have only done Salzburg but absolutely loved it. My tour had 2 days in Linz and offered 3 different day tours for the 2 days - one to Salzburg, one to the Lake District in Austria and Cesky Krumlov. I wish I could have done all 3 but I have to say everyone on our ship were happy with how they chose to spend their time. I do wish I had gone to Cesky Krumlov but loved my 2 other days. I don't think there is a bad choice here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coral said:

Don't do meat. I had an unfortunate incident with beef jerky I had bought at Sam's Club in the US and brought to Japan with me in my carry on and brought back home with me and got caught by that cute little blood hound. I got lucky and only got a warning and my luggage was extensively searched. I thought it would prevent me from getting my Global Entry card years later. Dried or regular meat is a no go with US Customs.

When in doubt if you have anything - just declare it and don't try to hide it. There are cute blood hounds out there.

Here is a link addressing meat:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat%2C-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s. 

I will stick with the spices and maybe desserts 🙂

• Like 2

Agree with your comment about Salzburg such a lovely place, could easily spend several days there.

We have found when river cruising and visiting places on route so much depends on the guide and pace of the day.

Our 1st trip to Salzburg was a rushed crowded experience with too much time spent on the sound of music stuff.

In reality it is a vibrant university town with a wonderful clean environment that is walkable and scenic especially the gardens and riverside.

Would love to return.

• Like 1

Ama offers a full day tour to Salzburg and a half day tour. We took the full day tour which also includes the tour of the lake region. Very little Sound of Music mentioned. The Austrians think the American fascination ridiculous lol. 

The half day tour of Salzburg is too rushed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

Ama offers a full day tour to Salzburg and a half day tour. We took the full day tour which also includes the tour of the lake region. Very little Sound of Music mentioned. The Austrians think the American fascination ridiculous lol. 

The half day tour of Salzburg is too rushed. 

So is it just a half day total tour, or just half the day in Salzburg and then move to another location .. but the total time is a full day ?  we still have a few weeks to pick our tours.. so now thinking maybe the 1/2 day and see more towns ..  but still would like to see the church from the movie ..  and the lake District looks nice too. 

9 hours ago, thunter1224 said:

So is it just a half day total tour, or just half the day in Salzburg and then move to another location .. but the total time is a full day ?  we still have a few weeks to pick our tours.. so now thinking maybe the 1/2 day and see more towns ..  but still would like to see the church from the movie ..  and the lake District looks nice too. 

If you take the full day Salzburg you’d stop at the Lake District and stay there for awhile and then continue on to Salzburg. This tour leaves in the a.m. 

The half day tours leave after lunch. So you’d spend the morning in Linz and then after lunch visit some place else. 

Everyone is back by dinner which is 7:00 pm. 

48 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

If you take the full day Salzburg you’d stop at the Lake District and stay there for awhile and then continue on to Salzburg. This tour leaves in the a.m. 

The half day tours leave after lunch. So you’d spend the morning in Linz and then after lunch visit some place else. 

Everyone is back by dinner which is 7:00 pm. 

Thank You .. I think we will go for the full day 🙂

Does anyone that has been on this AMA cruise, know if there is a tour that goes to a concentration camp ? I know about the shoes, and the tree of life, and plan on seeing them .. but I am not sure about a camp ?

Edited by thunter1224

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

Does anyone know if AMA has irons in the rooms or onboard .. to take care of the wrinkles from packing ?

I don't know of any cruise company [River or Sea] that allowed Irons or any other heating device in the cabin as it can set off heat sensors or smoke alarms. But they do offer a Laundry/iron service  on AMA ships at a charge. Lots of video's online to show you how to pack to avoid wrinkles.Basically iron everything then roll it up before packing, don't fold, or hang up in a steamy shower after unpacking

38 minutes ago, MikeBR said:

I don't know of any cruise company [River or Sea] that allowed Irons or any other heating device in the cabin as it can set off heat sensors or smoke alarms. But they do offer a Laundry/iron service  on AMA ships at a charge. Lots of video's online to show you how to pack to avoid wrinkles.Basically iron everything then roll it up before packing, don't fold, or hang up in a steamy shower after unpacking

Thank You.. I just am not sure what to take on a river cruise.  It is more upscale then the sea cruises I have been on,  plus going the 1st week in Oct. .. the weather could be shorts and polo shirts or jeans and sweatshirts and heavy coats w/ gloves and hats .. so will have a lot of different clothes to pack . 

A river cruise may seem upscale (especially if you are looking at a higher price than you have ever paid for a vacation – as we were on our first river cruise!) – but the onboard atmosphere is actually quite informal.  Not slob informal, but country club informal.  A man might wear a sport coat for one or two dinners, but otherwise a golf shirt and pants is all he needs.  So no need for dry cleaning.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A river cruise may seem upscale (especially if you are looking at a higher price than you have ever paid for a vacation – as we were on our first river cruise!) – but the onboard atmosphere is actually quite informal.  Not slob informal, but country club informal.  A man might wear a sport coat for one or two dinners, but otherwise a golf shirt and pants is all he needs.  So no need for dry cleaning.

Totally agree. We have done dozens of River Cruises and generally find the more affluent the other guests are the more casual the dress, they have nothing to prove, even down to 'Primark Jewelry' LOL,  So smart casual. It can be very humid on the Danube at that time of year so linen and cotton is advised even if you have to put a sweater on top it makes you feel more comfortable. Don't do what a USA person did and pack 'Chemical Hand Warmers' in their hold luggage. Homeland Security thought it looked suspicious and did not allow their luggage to be loaded so they arrived in Budapest with the clothes they traveled in. Luggage caught up with them the day of going home!

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, Coral said:

I have only done Salzburg but absolutely loved it. My tour had 2 days in Linz and offered 3 different day tours for the 2 days - one to Salzburg, one to the Lake District in Austria and Cesky Krumlov. I wish I could have done all 3 but I have to say everyone on our ship were happy with how they chose to spend their time. I do wish I had gone to Cesky Krumlov but loved my 2 other days. I don't think there is a bad choice here.

@Coral How did you like the Lake District Tour? Was it all bus or did you actually get off and explore the towns and lakes?

Thanks!

Becky

1 minute ago, Beckybuu said:

@Coral How did you like the Lake District Tour? Was it all bus or did you actually get off and explore the towns and lakes?

Thanks!

Becky

We were on a Christmas markets cruise. We did part by bus and some of the beautiful scenery was while we were on the bus (which frustrated me). We stopped a few places for pictures - some of the same places where "the Sound of Music bus" also stopped. We then spent quite a bit of time at St. Gilgan and St. Wolfgang. It was their first day for the Christmas markets cruise and the towns were fun and I enjoyed them. I have no idea what they would be like with out the Christmas markets though. I do have a friend who went in July and did love those 2 towns. I then watched Sound of Music that night and realized that I had never noticed the first 5 minutes which are aerial pictures of the Lake District.

The reason I chose the Lake District was that the Christmas markets were not open yet in Cesky Krumlov and it was supposed to rain more there. We did have some rain but it was minimal (November).

1 hour ago, Beckybuu said:

Thanks @Coral I'll be going in October and was hoping to get some good pictures of the country side and small villages. Plus I may be sick of cities by that point. I just don't want to sit on a bus for hours and not be able to explore anything.

I think it will be beautiful in October. I wish we had gone to Hallstat but didn't. I would love to do a land trip to Salzburg and the Lake district in the future. Please post your thoughts when you return.

I hear that area is very crazy in the summer - so October maybe the best month to go!

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we got home from our cruise on the Romantic AMAWaterways Danube river cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest No ship changes, no busing .. the only hold up was a glitch in one of the locks.   No big deal since we were just sailing and between ports. I can't say Anything bad about AMAWaterways .. they were amazing .. we are going to plan another river cruise ..  The food was wonderful, the wine flowed and we were there for Oktoberfest ..so beer, sausages, and pretzels ..  AMALEA had such a great staff. 100% waited on us hand and foot ..   

• Like 1