Hotels near Cape Liberty cruise port

P.A.

First off let me start by saying I don't like this new updated board. Especially the search. UGH! The old way was so much easier to find topics.

Anyways...was wondering if anyone had stayed at the Hampton Inn Newark airport location or the Best Western Plus Newark airport West? I'm so bummed that the Country Inn and suites are sold out for the night we were needing. We have stayed there before and it was great but now we have to find something else.

Your thoughts and or recommendations are appreciated. 😊

51 minutes ago, P.A. said:

First off let me start by saying I don't like this new updated board. Especially the search. UGH! The old way was so much easier to find topics.

Anyways...was wondering if anyone had stayed at the Hampton Inn Newark airport location or the Best Western Plus Newark airport West? I'm so bummed that the Country Inn and suites are sold out for the night we were needing. We have stayed there before and it was great but now we have to find something else.

Your thoughts and or recommendations are appreciated. 😊

What is the exact date you need a hotel?  Number of people? Are you flying?  If you’re driving, what direction and highway are you coming from and are you parking at the port?  Hotel budget?  

We haven’t been recommending Hampton Inn or Best Western - not much feedback on them - airport location is not the best.  Typically the hotels on International Blvd like Country Inns are very popular with cruisers.

2 hours ago, 138east said:

What is the exact date you need a hotel?  Number of people? Are you flying?  If you’re driving, what direction and highway are you coming from and are you parking at the port?  Hotel budget?  

We haven’t been recommending Hampton Inn or Best Western - not much feedback on them - airport location is not the best.  Typically the hotels on International Blvd like Country Inns are very popular with cruisers.

We're going in Sept. There are 6 adults. We are flying into EWR day before.

I've read some good reviews for the airport hotels but wasn't sure about the area. It seems that there is so much industrial areas there. What are the other hotels near Country Inn and Suites? I can't remember from being there last time. We will probably take a short day trip to NY. That's what we did last time.

Thanks for your help! 😉

1 minute ago, P.A. said:

I've read some good reviews for the airport hotels but wasn't sure about the area. It seems that there is so much industrial areas there. What are the other hotels near Country Inn and Suites? I can't remember from being there last time. We will probably take a short day trip to NY. That's what we did last time.

Thanks for your help! 😉

Please -exact date you need a hotel.

It looks like you’re coming Sep 25.  If your group wants to go into NYC, I’d look at the Hilton Penn Station.  Free airport shuttle.  Train to NYC is $5.25/pp each way instead of $13.00/pp.  PATH to lower Manhattan is $2.75.  Trip to NYC is at least half the time it would be from an airport hotel.

You can also look at the Robert Treat, which is a Best Western.  They also have a free airport and train station shuttle, free breakfast, and free WiFi.  Cab from station is inexpensive and recommended if coming back at night.  Uber to port.

Thanks.  If you’re going into NYC, I recommend staying in downtown Newark for the transportation convenience.  Downtown Newark is actually slightly closer to Cape Liberty than the airport and you can find a place to buy wine if you need to.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

Thanks.  If you’re going into NYC, I recommend staying in downtown Newark for the transportation convenience.  Downtown Newark is actually slightly closer to Cape Liberty than the airport and you can find a place to buy wine if you need to.

Ok thanks. Hotels in DT that you recommend?

37 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Ok thanks. Hotels in DT that you recommend?

The Hilton Penn Station Newark.  Robert Treat for a more budget hotel.  I’ve stayed at the Robert Treat and it was fine.  It’s an older hotel with a nice lobby area.  My room was just fine with a very comfortable bed.

3 hours ago, P.A. said:

Thanks for your help! 😉

Embassy Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn...all on the same street.

I would never recommend Country Inn & Suites.. very disappointed with the condition of this property

for our last pre-cruise. I would never stay there again...a complete waste of our points and we even got a room upgrade.

11 hours ago, Ashland said:

Embassy Suites, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn...all on the same street.

I would never recommend Country Inn & Suites.. very disappointed with the condition of this property

for our last pre-cruise. I would never stay there again...a complete waste of our points and we even got a room upgrade.

Ashland..we stayed at the Country Inn & Suites last year and it was fine. No problems. That is where we wanted to stay this year but it's sold out for our date.

Thanks for the ones nearby. I'll check into them

The Country Inn has been under renovation for a LONG time...over 1 year, maybe even 2.  And it has the SLOWEST elevators on the planet.  Being an airport hotel, it does get a lot of use and may not be as nice as some of the other hotels but it should be ok.  

I prefer either the Residence Inn or Courtyard that are adjacent, or the Embassy Suites.  

2 hours ago, megr1125 said:

The Country Inn has been under renovation for a LONG time...over 1 year, maybe even 2.  And it has the SLOWEST elevators on the planet.  Being an airport hotel, it does get a lot of use and may not be as nice as some of the other hotels but it should be ok.  

I prefer either the Residence Inn or Courtyard that are adjacent, or the Embassy Suites.  

Our upgraded room (member points) was dirty and had mold in the bathroom...We were a late checkin and it was only for one night. We won't ever take the chance of staying there again. 

4 hours ago, P.A. said:

Ashland..we stayed at the Country Inn & Suites last year and it was fine. No problems. That is where we wanted to stay this year but it's sold out for our date.

Thanks for the ones nearby. I'll check into them

You were lucky your room was fine....Our's was dirty and there was visible mold in the bathroom. I think you're fortunate to now try another hotel in this location. Best of luck.

25 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You were lucky your room was fine....Our's was dirty and there was visible mold in the bathroom. I think you're fortunate to now try another hotel in this location. Best of luck.

Oh dear!! 😝

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Yes I do remember the elevator being slow when we stayed there last year.

I checked on the other hotels nearby and they are at least $100 more. Not worth paying the extra if we're basically just sleeping there. I've got one booked DT that is more our budget.

Thank you for your input. 🙂

6 hours ago, megr1125 said:

We had an excellent experience last year at the Embassy Suites and would stay there again. 

I am so confused and frustrated!! 😧

So as I mentioned above that our 1st choice hotel..Country Inn & Suites is sold out for our date. (9/25) Many have recommend the Embassy or Residence close by. My dilemma now is once we arrive at EWR we will drop our bags at hotel and head to NYC for the day. So we just need to sleep at the hotel. Considering all the $$ that we will have to pay for transportation between EWR, hotel then into NYC then back, then to the cruise port the next day, Im not sure where we should stay??

We are not ones who have to have a luxury or fancy hotel..just good area, clean and good reviews. There are 3 families..6 adults no kids and lots of luggage!!

I might add my SIL suggest staying at Fairfield Inn near world trade center (using some points but still $$) but once I started looking into cost for car service/Uber, etc, it just seemed expensive.

Please help!!

Edited by P.A.

34 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I am so confused and frustrated!! 😧

So as I mentioned above that our 1st choice hotel..Country Inn & Suites is sold out for our date. (9/25) Many have recommend the Embassy or Residence close by. My dilemma now is once we arrive at EWR we will drop our bags at hotel and head to NYC for the day. So we just need to sleep at the hotel. Considering all the $$ that we will have to pay for transportation between EWR, hotel then into NYC then back, then to the cruise port the next day, Im not sure where we should stay??

We are not ones who have to have a luxury or fancy hotel..just good area, clean and good reviews. There are 3 families..6 adults no kids and lots of luggage!!

I might add my SIL suggest staying at Fairfield Inn near world trade center (using some points but still $$) but once I started looking into cost for car service/Uber, etc, it just seemed expensive.

Please help!!

So have you excluded staying in downtown Newark at the Hilton Penn Station or Robert Treat, both of which have airport shuttles?

If you stay at any airport hotel, you will have to ride the airport shuttle to th P4 Airtrain Station and pay $13/pp each way for the train to Manhattan ( a little less if you do train/PATH to downtown Manhattan.  Your other option is to Uber to Newark Penn Station to get the reduced fare, but it will not end up saving a lot of $$.  It will take on an average about twice the time to go from an airport hotel to Manhattan as it will to go from a Newark hotel.

1 minute ago, 138east said:

So have you excluded staying in downtown Newark at the Hilton Penn Station or Robert Treat, both of which have airport shuttles?

If you stay at any airport hotel, you will have to ride the airport shuttle to th P4 Airtrain Station and pay $13/pp each way for the train to Manhattan ( a little less if you do train/PATH to downtown Manhattan.  Your other option is to Uber to Newark Penn Station to get the reduced fare, but it will not end up saving a lot of $$.  It will take on an average about twice the time to go from an airport hotel to Manhattan as it will to go from a Newark hotel.

No I have not ruled out Best Western Plus Robert Treat. I actually have one room reserved there at this point. You think this would be my best option? It is in my price range.

14 minutes ago, P.A. said:

No I have not ruled out Best Western Plus Robert Treat. I actually have one room reserved there at this point. You think this would be my best option? It is in my price range.

What is your price range?  You’re looking for rooms on a business travel night, so any airport hotel you book will be more expensive on travel nights.  The Robert Treat is an historic hotel on a side street facing a nice park and is surrounded by offices - no residents or storefront businesses.  However, it is still a highly urban area in downtown Newark.  When I stayed there I checked with the front desk to find out about the shuttle schedule to Penn Station, which is 6-7 blocks away.  To get from Penn Station I had to call the hotel to request the shuttle, so coming back from NYC I would recommend you just pony up the few dollars to cab back to the hotel since walking after dark is not recommended.  I arrived by train and did not arrive from the airport.

7 minutes ago, 138east said:

What is your price range?  You’re looking for rooms on a business travel night, so any airport hotel you book will be more expensive on travel nights.  The Robert Treat is an historic hotel on a side street facing a nice park and is surrounded by offices - no residents or storefront businesses.  However, it is still a highly urban area in downtown Newark.  When I stayed there I checked with the front desk to find out about the shuttle schedule to Penn Station, which is 6-7 blocks away.  To get from Penn Station I had to call the hotel to request the shuttle, so coming back from NYC I would recommend you just pony up the few dollars to cab back to the hotel since walking after dark is not recommended.  I arrived by train and did not arrive from the airport.

I've got the Robert Treat reserved for $200 including tax which is perfect! Don't mind doing Uber to come back from NYC.

9 minutes ago, P.A. said:

I've got the Robert Treat reserved for $200 including tax which is perfect! Don't mind doing Uber to come back from NYC.

Uber would be from Newark Penn Station to the hotel at night.

NJ Transit schedule - Put in Newark Penn Station and New York Penn station - https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

If you’re in downtown Manhattan you take PATH from World Trade to Newark Penn for $2.75/pp. 

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Thank you 138east for your time and all your helpful info. But it's like Greek to me!! This train to that train. 🙄 But we'll figure it out. We did last time.

Thanks again!! 😉

Edited by P.A.