Wi-fi

Jancruz

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Thanks everyone for all the help..I do understand some but not others..told you Im a geek when it comes to wifi..So one question..if the roaming on your Iphone is off can you still connect to wifi to text??

Thanks

Jancruz1

We are on your hosted California cruise in December and if you still have questions, I'd be happy to try and help, although I'm an Androider, not a an Appleler.  

On 4/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, Jancruz said:

Thanks everyone for all the help..I do understand some but not others..told you Im a geek when it comes to wifi..So one question..if the roaming on your Iphone is off can you still connect to wifi to text??

Thanks

Jancruz1

Roaming is strictly speaking for cellular signal access....so you will be able to use wifi...

On 4/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, ropomo said:

Don't know if this is how it works on iPhone, but on Android, I just turn on Airplane mode and then turn on wifi and I'm good to go for both texting and wifi calling.

We just got off Marina, our Androids didn't quite do this.  Your mileage may vary!

Ship's wifi did not provide texting (for one T-mobile android, and one Consumer Cellular/AT&T-sim android).  The T-mobile phone does do wifi calling, but was unable to initiate with the ship's wifi the one day I tried (maybe the wifi was just too slow at the time for all the 'handshakes' required to finish in time?).

I don't know how it works on Iphones, or whether the process I use for my Samsung S8 Android phones works for all Androids or whether it's Verizon specific, but, I needed to set up the WiFi calling before putting the phone in airplane mode by going to Connections, then to Advanced Calling to turn HD voice on, then to WiFi calling to turn it on which required my to enter an emergency address and select WiFi preference over Other  Networks when roaming.   Once this is done, the WiFi calling should be available, although I've had a system update that undid it. In principle, the WiFi preference selection should mean that I don't have to go to airplane mode when roaming if I'm on a WiFi network, but for safety's sake, when i want to use WiFi calling, I turn on airplane mode (which turns off WiFi) then turn the WiFi back on anyway.

All the ones that I know that attempted WiFi calling on our February Marina cruise got knocked off within a couple minutes. Better be a fast conversation! Those attempting it for work were all disappointed. I was surprised they believed they could do an hour long conference call across O’s system!

• 2 months later...

I don't know what "tether" means, but you currently can only have one device connected to ship's wifi at a time.   If you are logged in, and your cabin mate tries to, they will get an error message asking them if they wish to disconnect your device to allow theirs to connect. If they do, then yours will be disconnected, until you do the same, later...

53 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I don't know what "tether" means, but you currently can only have one device connected to ship's wifi at a time.   If you are logged in, and your cabin mate tries to, they will get an error message asking them if they wish to disconnect your device to allow theirs to connect. If they do, then yours will be disconnected, until you do the same, later...

"

First, you need to connect your laptop with the other computer by using a standard Ethernet cable. You canthen share your Internet connection. ... Put a check mark by the box that says Allow Other Network Users to Connect through This Computer's Internet Connection. Click OK, and close the Control Panel window.

How to Share Your Laptop's Internet Access with Another PC - dummies

We've tethered a computer to our phone before and it looks like we might be able to do this also.  But perhaps not if no one else has replied.

I’m on Marina now and I have to say the wi-fi is mind-numbingly slow.  I’ve only used it for email and browsing a few websites. I’m using an iPhone. Forget about FaceTime, Skype and uploading photos. Oceania is wonderful but their wi-fi on board is an area that is seriously lacking when compared to other cruise lines. The policy of only one person in the cabin (unless you want to pay a hefty added fee) using the wi-fi at a time is baffling to me. 

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

The policy of only one person in the cabin (unless you want to pay a hefty added fee) using the wi-fi at a time is baffling to me. 

If the wifi is slow with only 1/2 of the ship online (1 person/cabin) imagine what it would be like if the entire ship (2 people/cabin) were on at the same time 😀

I do agree that O HAS to step up their internet access having just sailed on Viking Ocean with outstanding wifi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They definitely do. We just got off a 30 day SE Asia cruise on the Crystal Symphony and were allotted 2 accounts per cabin with up to 4 devices. Never once did we have either a bandwidth issue or router connectivity issue, which included great connectivity on our balcony. Yes, it is doable and O has no excuse for providing such poor service when compared to the prices they charge. 

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried to do more on board, than just general surfing with the free account. And I read somewhere on here, that the upgraded account wasn't worth anything more. Can anyone confirm their experience? I'll be onboard 16 days later this year, and was hoping to bring my work laptop and get a little bit of work done. I'd need to do web surfing and get emails (including sending/receiving Word documents). 

2 hours ago, minirottie said:

Has anyone ever tried to do more on board, than just general surfing with the free account. And I read somewhere on here, that the upgraded account wasn't worth anything more. Can anyone confirm their experience? I'll be onboard 16 days later this year, and was hoping to bring my work laptop and get a little bit of work done. I'd need to do web surfing and get emails (including sending/receiving Word documents). 

We were on the Riviera for 45 days starting last October and in our A3 veranda cabin, we would get knocked off the area router within 3-5 minutes. Add that to the fact that the bandwidth was very slow most of the time, it took my DW 2-3 attempts to send an email to a distribution list which had an attachment.. We will not cruise on the Riviera again until we hear they've upgraded their WiFi system to accommodate user requirements like other cruise lines have done that offer unlimited service.

• Like 1

Riviera is the number one rated mod-size ship in Cruise Critic’s latest reader survey, top-rated for food, cabins, etc.

Deciding not to cruise on Riviera solely because of mediocre WiFi service seems peculiar, but it definitely demonstrates where your priorities are. Perhaps a business reason that you need to be connected constantly?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JPR said:

Riviera is the number one rated mod-size ship in Cruise Critic’s latest reader survey, top-rated for food, cabins, etc.

Deciding not to cruise on Riviera solely because of mediocre WiFi service seems peculiar, but it definitely demonstrates where your priorities are. Perhaps a business reason that you need to be connected constantly?

Actually for roughly the same price of an Riviera A3 cabin, we can book a Celebrity sky suite cabin with all 4 perks or an all-inclusive Crystal B1 cabin and not only experience great food and better entertainment, we can each have unlimited internet accounts that offer acceptable service day or night, in port or out, even on our balcony.

But I will say if the right itinerary comes along on one of their R class ships, we'll definitely consider it as we had good internet service in our A1 cabins during the 48 days we sailed on the Sirena and Nautica last year.

You get no more speed for the extra money.  What you get is the unblocking of selected streaming site like You Tube and others (which eat up more bandwidth).  I agree with Ken -- that Crystal allows 4 devices per person.  Had no issues with it also on Symphony in November with 800+ passengers plus crew. 

The fix is to buy or allocate more bandwidth

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

They definitely do. We just got off a 30 day SE Asia cruise on the Crystal Symphony and were allotted 2 accounts per cabin with up to 4 devices. Never once did we have either a bandwidth issue or router connectivity issue, which included great connectivity on our balcony. Yes, it is doable and O has no excuse for providing such poor service when compared to the prices they charge. 

Agreed. We too had no problems with our wifi on Crystal.

On 6/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

But I will say if the right itinerary comes along on one of their R class ships, we'll definitely consider it as we had good internet service in our A1 cabins during the 48 days we sailed on the Sirena and Nautica last year.

Oh that's good to know since I'll be on Sirena in January. Hoping it's still good or better since the refurb

• Like 1