Advice for First Time Cruisers

Roce48

We have taken around 15 cruises before. We have stayed in everything from an inside cabin to a Grand Suite.

On our first cruise we were not sure if cruising was for us, so we took a 5 night cruise to Cozumel staying in an inside cabin. Wow, we actually enjoyed it even though we were in the inside cabin. We were so busy that we were in our cabin only to sleep and shower.

After that we took to experiencing even the better cruise experience by staying in ocean views cabins, balconies, and even a RCCL Grand Suite once.

My advice is that you should perhaps experience an inside cabin as your first cruise. Some say that once you have stayed in a ocean view or above that you will never, ever go back to an inside cabin.

Not so with us though, we did stay in an inside cabin two more times, once to experience a very realistic Inside Virtual Balcony Cabin, and our last one to Cuba this February which included alcoholic drinks.

I can almost guarantee you will have fun wherever you sleep.

• Like 2

The lowest cabin we've had is a OV..no balcony.  it was on a smaller, older ship, and there was NO FLOOR SPACE in the cabin...only one of us could stand and dress at a time.  Never, EVER again!

We typically want at least a JS for the space.  No, we don't spend tons of time IN the cabin, but I want to be AT LEAST as comfortable on vacation as I am at home.  This is why we don't go camping....it's NOT comfortable!  I like my comforts!

To each his own!

Lol comfort is definitely in the eyes of the beholder so to speak. The last time we had a balcony was back when NCL sailed out of the defunct Houston cruise port.  It was a 7 night Cyber Monday deal that was around $500pp with $500 OBC. Of course we now know that it was taxpayer funded but it was too good to pass up.  I think we have done windows since then but not for a long time.  Inside cabins are just fine and allow us to go on more cruises.  Plus they’re really dark at nap time.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

Every cruise I have taken has been in a suite.

Works for me.

No need to try an inside. 😄

You are a very fortunate person. How many cruises have you taken, and what lines have you sailed? Best line for a Suite?

• Like 1

Good advice 48.
If you are like us, we figured after our first cruise it was going to be years and years before we cruise again. So we splurged and went with a balcony, and loved it!
Of course since we are so disciplined we booked another cruise for 12 months later. We justified our second cruise so soon, by booking an inside room. It was quite the difference. You remember well what it was like with a balcony and...not so much.
BUT, we have booked several inside rooms since. We just go knowing the difference.

If it was the only way I could afford to cruise, or, I could cruise more often, inside rooms here I come!

On 3/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, Roce48 said:

You are a very fortunate person. How many cruises have you taken, and what lines have you sailed? Best line for a Suite?

3 so far, 2 more booked.

4 of the 5 will be in the same cabin on the same ship.  Royal's Grandeur of the Seas.

I prefer to cruise less often (about once per year), but in a suite, versus more cruises.

We were wisely advised on our first cruise to go for the cheaper, older ship in an inside cabin because, as our experienced friends told us, "You'll be so in awe of the whole cruising experience, you won't even notice you're on an old, small ship in an inside cabin!" As it turned out, our TA got us an ocean view on that cruise for about $100 more,  and we were delighted with it. After that we wanted to take our young adult children with us, but on one of the more fun mega ships, and the only way to afford that was to take two inside cabins. We sailed ocean view the third time, and on our last cruise this past November, we finally got a balcony. While it was very nice, I'd be perfectly happy with an inside cabin and more cruises. I spend very little time in the cabin anyway.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

We were wisely advised on our first cruise to go for the cheaper, older ship in an inside cabin because, as our experienced friends told us, "You'll be so in awe of the whole cruising experience, you won't even notice you're on an old, small ship in an inside cabin!" As it turned out, our TA got us an ocean view on that cruise for about $100 more,  and we were delighted with it. After that we wanted to take our young adult children with us, but on one of the more fun mega ships, and the only way to afford that was to take two inside cabins. We sailed ocean view the third time, and on our last cruise this past November, we finally got a balcony. While it was very nice, I'd be perfectly happy with an inside cabin and more cruises. I spend very little time in the cabin anyway.

That is also dependent on your cabin.  If you are in an inside, you WON'T spend much time there, as it is small and you can't see anything.

With a suite, and a large balcony, you may find yourself spending more time in the cabin, especially on the balcony.  And breakfast on the balcony, at sea, is WONDERFUL.

• Like 1

I have sailed in owners suite on Freedom of the Seas, Penthouse Suite on Norwegian Jade, Penthouse Suite on Caribbean Princess, Family Suite on Emerald Princess, Junior Suite on Adventure, Splendor of the Seas, and Grand Suite on Explorer of the Seas. All these cabin had unique features and we enjoyed them all.  Next up will be window suite on the new Sky Princess.

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I have sailed in owners suite on Freedom of the Seas, Penthouse Suite on Norwegian Jade, Penthouse Suite on Caribbean Princess, Family Suite on Emerald Princess, Junior Suite on Adventure, Splendor of the Seas, and Grand Suite on Explorer of the Seas. All these cabin had unique features and we enjoyed them all.  Next up will be window suite on the new Sky Princess.

Lol, why don't you, just for the experience try a short inside cabin cruise.

• Like 1

Roce48. My very first cruise in 1987 was on Majesty of the Seas.  We had a ocean view cabin on deck 8.  Here is my feeling. I take a cruise every two or three years.  I sail on different lines so I don’t have any status with one  line. So to make sure My wife and I can have fun and take advantage of the perks we book a suite. We like the extra room that a suite provides, we like not having to make a dinner reservation, we like having reserved seating in showroom. There are a lot of nice perks on the different ships and lines that the extra money it costs is worth it to us.  Yes I know we could get a smaller cabin and use the money for shore excursions.  We do not live near a cruise pirt so we have to fly anywhere to cruise.  No a big deal. It is nice to be taken care of for entire vacation. Takes the stress off. Cheers

13 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Roce48. My very first cruise in 1987 was on Majesty of the Seas.  We had a ocean view cabin on deck 8.  Here is my feeling. I take a cruise every two or three years.  I sail on different lines so I don’t have any status with one  line. So to make sure My wife and I can have fun and take advantage of the perks we book a suite. We like the extra room that a suite provides, we like not having to make a dinner reservation, we like having reserved seating in showroom. There are a lot of nice perks on the different ships and lines that the extra money it costs is worth it to us.  Yes I know we could get a smaller cabin and use the money for shore excursions.  We do not live near a cruise pirt so we have to fly anywhere to cruise.  No a big deal. It is nice to be taken care of for entire vacation. Takes the stress off. Cheers

We usually stay in a Balcony cabin. One time we decided to stay in a Grand Suite on the RCCL Independence of the Seas, and must say that we had a great time with all the perks such as Concierge service and Lounge. I guess I was trying to say that no matter where a person stays, most likely they will have a wonderful time, and was looking for agreement from a seasoned cruiser like you. :-)

I am with the poster, I can switch back and forth. there is something comforting and cocoon like about an inside cabin. My mom cruises with us so we get a handicapped room no matter inside or OV so we have more room than most though. However, the times I have cruised without her an inside fit us just fine. We are only there to change clothes and sleep anyways...

• Like 1

Our first cruise had an OV, but the last 17 have been inside.  We're cheap, only stay in the cabin to change clothes and sleep.  If we want a view we go topside.  Number 19 is coming up in October and yes, it is an inside.  I did have an inside on Royal Carib that had a view of the Promenade Deck.  I would take that over an OV.

• Like 1

Our  first cruise was an inside, then a run of balconies, and back to an inside last time.  Last  cruise was port-intensive, and the weather, although pleasant enough wasn't  really  'sit out on the balcony for breakfast ' weather.

DW does sleep better in an inside cabin (We slept so well on an overnight  time zone change..... watch  said one time,  cell phone said another and the tv said a third time.....We missed breakfast)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Our  first cruise was an inside, then a run of balconies, and back to an inside last time.  Last  cruise was port-intensive, and the weather, although pleasant enough wasn't  really  'sit out on the balcony for breakfast ' weather.

DW does sleep better in an inside cabin (We slept so well on an overnight  time zone change..... watch  said one time,  cell phone said another and the tv said a third time.....We missed breakfast)

Think missing Breakfast is bad?

We missed sail away on our very first cruise because we fell sound asleep in our cozy inside cabin. After the Muster Drill there was a delay in departure time, and we thought we would just rest our eyes for a couple of minutes, only to wake up at sea with no land in sight. LOL

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All good comments from everybody... I think the main thing is being comfortable with your cabin..

Some people must sleep in the dark while other like light... everybody is different....

After much talk... we ended up on a 13 night cruise, for our first with 6 sea days....

Oh to be cruising.... it was wonderful... just went with the flow......

So the outcome 4 cruises later with a another 2 booked.....

just being on a cruise ship is great.... even with rough seas, missed ports.. a fire... plumbing issues.

remember to chill and relax and you will have a great time....

We like a balcony... so you look out and step outside to look at the ocean.... a must for us.

Happy cruising to everybody

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

Everyone has different opinions ... especially when recommending to first time cruisers.  

Gosh, I'd have a problem with suggesting a short cruise with an inside cabin on an older smaller ship.

The experience might make them never want to cruise again.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1