Best/Most Reliable water taxi to Caye Caulker

TNCruzer56

We`ve used Coral Breeze twice and it worked well. This time they canceled due to few people going. Looking for feedback on dependable service as we have to get back in time to catch the tender back to the ship. We`ll be there 8- 5 ship time. Thanks in advance. 

Belize Water Taxi has been the only reliable water taxi for a while.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

San Pedro Express took over the old Caye Caulker Water Taxi, up their price and haven't been as reliable.  So I would avoid San Pedro Express.

If Wade the Gringo has more current information, hope he reaches out to share.

Evidently there's a new player, Ocean Ferry, which seems to have similar schedule.  I know absolutely nothing about this service.  Do note the times are Belize City times and may be different from you ship time. 

http://www.oceanferrybelize.com/

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:05 AM, crewsweeper said:

Belize Water Taxi has been the only reliable water taxi for a while.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

San Pedro Express took over the old Caye Caulker Water Taxi, up their price and haven't been as reliable.  So I would avoid San Pedro Express.

If Wade the Gringo has more current information, hope he reaches out to share.

Evidently there's a new player, Ocean Ferry, which seems to have similar schedule.  I know absolutely nothing about this service.  Do note the times are Belize City times and may be different from you ship time. 

http://www.oceanferrybelize.com/

When I hit that link, it comes up San Pedro ????????????? 

1 hour ago, TNCruzer56 said:

When I hit that link, it comes up San Pedro ????????????? 

Hmm.. Interesting.  Maybe all 3 originals merged.  But whatever Wade opines, follow that.  He lives on Ambergris Caye and takes these all the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are back now and it is San Pedro Express Water Taxi. We used them and it worked out fine. The return times are a little funky as we had to catch the 12:00 return to assure that we got back to the tender port on time (2 hour difference) I would have liked to spend at least one more hour on the caye.  

• 2 months later...

We did the same thing last week; took the San Pedro Express to & from Caye Caulker.  Left Belize City on the 8 am trip, returned on the noon trip.  Cost was $28 pp, round trip.  Would've liked to have another hour or two on Caulker, but the timing didn't quite work out - would've been cutting it a little too close for comfort if we'd waited for the next boat back.

Very enjoyable day. 

One word of warning - we were on one of the smaller, fully enclosed boats on the return trip; it was very, very hot.  I'd suggest getting a big bottle of cold water for the ride back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, TNCruzer56 said:

We are back now and it is San Pedro Express Water Taxi. We used them and it worked out fine. The return times are a little funky as we had to catch the 12:00 return to assure that we got back to the tender port on time (2 hour difference) I would have liked to spend at least one more hour on the caye.  

didn't think about the DST, will have to watch the times and make sure we make it back to ship on time .. sailing September. thx. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do live interviews about travel, and am looking for someone that can talk about independent travel on the water taxis, and in general safety outside the confines of the port area in Belize, if you would be willing to be interviewed, you can email me at ken@travelingwithachair.com.

• 2 months later...

Another reliable option is to fly to Caye Caulker from Belize City municipal airport. I've done this a couple of times and it allows you more time there since it's so much quicker... I booked directly through Tropic Air.

• 4 weeks later...

Back from our cruise and wanted to add our experience.  We left the port and walked left past the taxis to the area for the water taxi.  It was the San Perdro Belize Express.  We bought our round trip tickets with a credit card ($28 USD pp).  Note if you use paper bills they must be clean and no tears.  Waited until the 10:30 arrived, were able to sit up top.  About a 50 minute ride.  Got off and hired a taxi (golf cart) for $20 for a 45 minute tour around the island.  Our driver was Max, very nice man.  Rode us around the "main roads" (dirt), to the airport, to the resort with the seahorses, to the pier with the tarpons, and to the Split.  Schools kids were on lunch break and I enjoyed seeing them ride their bicycles around.  Took about an hour and he dropped us off near the pier and we bought local beer at the Brisas del Mar bar. Took the 1:30 back.  We really enjoyed the island and I would recommend this as an inexpensive and relaxing port experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, tiggrbaby said:

Back from our cruise and wanted to add our experience.  We left the port and walked left past the taxis to the area for the water taxi.  It was the San Perdro Belize Express.  We bought our round trip tickets with a credit card ($28 USD pp).  Note if you use paper bills they must be clean and no tears.  Waited until the 10:30 arrived, were able to sit up top.  About a 50 minute ride.  Got off and hired a taxi (golf cart) for $20 for a 45 minute tour around the island.  Our driver was Max, very nice man.  Rode us around the "main roads" (dirt), to the airport, to the resort with the seahorses, to the pier with the tarpons, and to the Split.  Schools kids were on lunch break and I enjoyed seeing them ride their bicycles around.  Took about an hour and he dropped us off near the pier and we bought local beer at the Brisas del Mar bar. Took the 1:30 back.  We really enjoyed the island and I would recommend this as an inexpensive and relaxing port experience.

So your total time there was  only approximately 2 hrs?  I'm interested in doing this but that seems alot of trouble for just hours.  Any info would be appreciated?

Thanks!

On 6/24/2021 at 9:55 AM, shipstud said:

So your total time there was  only approximately 2 hrs?  I'm interested in doing this but that seems alot of trouble for just hours.  Any info would be appreciated?

Thanks!

You need to grab an earlier water taxi if you want more time.  There's one at 8AM, which is currently 10 AM on the East Coast and 9AM out of the Gulf.  But yes 1:30 Belize is most likely the last taxi you can catch to make it back to port for your last tender.

• 2 months later...

There aren't alot of tender times, and the tender takes a chunk of time to get to Caye Caulker.  You should forget about trying to get to Ambergris Caye by tender. To maximize your times on the cayes, cough up the money and fly on the local airline, or take the earliest water taxi to Caye Caulker.  get on the earliest tender, too.  Caye Caulker is very small and very walkable-an hour takes you around the island.  Lots of bars, and the ability to swim or snorkel.  The best beach is on the other side of the split-the deserted side where there is a beach club.  Best things to do on Caye Caulker-hang out at the Lazy Lizard, feed the tarpon, go snorkeling, or if you have a long port call, go to Shark Ray Alley and snorkel with nurse sharks and sting rays.  

• Like 1