Gem suites not in Haven

meglet

My only NCL experience has been 5 sailings on the Dawn which has no Haven.  All the cabin categories with S in their titles had all the amenities like a butler, restaurant for breakfast and lunch, priority embarkation and disembarkation.  What's the situation on Gem?  I see on the NCL website the SFs get butler and concierge, but are they allowed in that Haven pool and sundeck area?  Thanks for any first hand information.

18 minutes ago, meglet said:

My only NCL experience has been 5 sailings on the Dawn which has no Haven.  All the cabin categories with S in their titles had all the amenities like a butler, restaurant for breakfast and lunch, priority embarkation and disembarkation.  What's the situation on Gem?  I see on the NCL website the SFs get butler and concierge, but are they allowed in that Haven pool and sundeck area?  Thanks for any first hand information.

No...SEs,  SFs and the like do not get access to the Haven courtyard, pool or sundeck.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

We're on the Jade 4/1 in an SC suite and have all the amenities you mention but no Haven access. 

We priced the same room type (2BR) in the Haven and it was about $2k more.  

Not missing much if you book a full suite vs Haven on the GEM.  Haven is tiny.  I had an AFT 

Full Suite on the GEM.  Still had concierge and butler.  Was able to eat breakfast in Moderno every day, which is where the Concieerge had her desk.

Some pics of my GEM cruise.....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2680219)GEM-Bahamas-Aft

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No...SEs,  SFs and the like do not get access to the Haven courtyard, pool or sundeck.

I guess they changed the rules. My wife and I were on the Gem in a Suite a few years back. Although we were not allowed in the Haven courtyard we were allowed to use the Haven Sundeck

20 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I guess they changed the rules. My wife and I were on the Gem in a Suite a few years back. Although we were not allowed in the Haven courtyard we were allowed to use the Haven Sundeck

Interesting. How did you get to the Haven sundeck? Your non-Haven suite key shouldn't have gotten you in. We've taken many cruises in SEs and SFs on the Gem and have never had that privilege .

46 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Interesting. How did you get to the Haven sundeck? Your non-Haven suite key shouldn't have gotten you in. We've taken many cruises in SEs and SFs on the Gem and have never had that privilege .

Their was at the time a rear stair case with a key lock on it, we were told on day one by our butler we could use the Haven Sundeck if we wanted to. This was in 2011

Edited by Laszlo

I think the the non Haven suites on the Jewel class ships are the best suite deals in the NCL fleet.  We were in an SF on the Gem last October.  Just like the previous poster, we saved about $2K by forgoing the Haven (and no, we did not have access).  It was a 12 night cruise with only 2 sea days, so missing out on the the Haven was no big deal.  We wouldn't have had time to use it anyway.  We still received all of the other suite perks that the Haven guests enjoyed, and got to enjoy our fabulous aft balcony.

I do remember seeing a thread on here awhile ago stating that NCL was changing up some of the Jewel class suite configurations and not all of the SF's and SE's were going to receive the same amenities in the future.  But that wasn't supposed to take effect until a year or so in the future.  We are in an SF this Fall on the Jade and can't wait to enjoy all it offers.

Edited by Pens fan

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Their was at the time a rear stair case with a key lock on it, we were told on day one by our butler we could use the Haven Sundeck if we wanted to. This was in 2011

To add my own experience: between 2010 and 2017, we sailed in SFs on the Gem and Jade, and an SE on the Jewel.  We were never given access to the Haven Sundeck.

I wonder if this was a one-off given to you by your butler [or perhaps others on that sailing as well], since no one else so far has mentioned being allowed this access.    (I don't in any way dispute that you had this experience of course.)   Perhaps others will chime in.

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

To add my own experience: between 2010 and 2017, we sailed in SFs on the Gem and Jade, and an SE on the Jewel.  We were never given access to the Haven Sundeck.

I wonder if this was a one-off given to you by your butler [or perhaps others on that sailing as well], since no one else so far has mentioned being allowed this access.    (I don't in any way dispute that you had this experience of course.)   Perhaps others will chime in.

Could have been, who knows. It was our very cruise and we had know idea what was going on Lol

I’ll never book a haven suite on a Jewel class ship again after my Jewel Alaska 2018 experience.  Pool and hot tub were unusable due to babies in both.  The concierge did nothing about it and I could have spent $5k less to be in a non haven 2 bed suite and had the same experience, minus the aggravation.  

These staterooms Not within the Haven would have Haven access:

Haven Owners Suites H3

As for these Suites - access is a fleeting discussion depends probably NOT !

2BR Family S3

Bow Penthouse SE

Aft Penthouse SF

Bow Penthouse SE

Aft Penthouse SF

Aft Penthouse SF

Am I right in thinking that the Haven on Jewel class ships doesn’t include a Haven-specific restaurant? This would seem to decrease the value of the Haven on these ships. Sometimes it’s nice to be spontaneous rather than always having to make reservations in the dining rooms for table service dinner (or risk waiting in a long line). Also, is there Haven-specific concierge service on these ships? Or does one go to the general ship concierge desk?

The JEWEL class ships - do NOT have a restaurant and bar in the ship within a ship Haven confines.

I believe that the Concierge desk may still be there but probably best to contact the C on the suite cell

phone provided and arrange a meeting although some matters the Butler can take care just as well.

As for a designated Haven specific C - READER's comments

The larger ships greater than the JEWEL DAWN class have more than 1 Concierge for assistance.

The JEWEL class ships have a beam width of some 105 feet the -AWAY class are 169 feet and the

-AWAY PLUS are 136 feet.

With the additional width the restaurant and bar have sufficient space to function and a larger pool

lounge area is available.

I have heard where the concierge has allowed the rest of the suites into the haven area for special occasions - glacier cruising in AK and perhaps the Panama Canal (hoping that is the case for the Gem in 300 days :)

We do like the SF and SE cabins on the Jewel class ships - esp the ones on Deck 10 Aft. Next year it looks like those suites are gong to be split away in to a category of their own - probably with a increase in fare.