Sharing Drink Package?

disneychurro

So, when I was on the phone with a rep at Celebrity, she mentioned buying 1 drink package and taking turns getting a drink...as long as it is the person who bought the package getting it. 

Do people actually do this?  To me this seems unethical.  Albeit the prices are ridiculous and they are making a killing off of the non-alcoholic drink packages, but it seems shady and weird that the rep mentioned that to me??? 

Edited by disneychurro

Totally shady that the rep mentioned that to you and given that their calls are almost always recorded, a pretty good way for him or her to lose their job. If you try to share a drink package and they catch you, they will revoke your drink package privileges and keep the money you spent on the package, so it will cost you at least twice as much in the end. But given that you're already aware that the rep's suggestion sounds shady I have a feeling you're not going to try it anyway. Cheers! 

• Like 1

Over in the UK you have no choice with most cruises, it comes as part of the overal price. Purchase a cruise without the drinks package you can surely book one drinks package onboard ? Hey in life in general there is always one or two individuals trying to work the system. 

I'm sure people do do this - but as others have said if you get caught they will revoke the package entirely.  Personally I would not want to spend my  cruise looking over my shoulder knowing I was doing something wrong and hoping not to get caught.  But I am also absolutely sure that folk do do this and don't get caught. I'm just too law abiding!

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Isn't the ruling if one in the cabin has a package the other has to have a package or is that old hat now

Old hat now. One person can have premium drinks package and the other none, non alcoholic or classic package if required. If classic package is offered as perk, it is applied to both people.

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

When you book a cruise if you choose the beverage package as a perk  then both must choose the beverage package.   But if you are purchasing the beverage package no both people in the room do not both have to purchase it.

As to that representatives advice, it’s a good way for you to actually lose your beverage package altogether. The bartenders and waiters soon to get to know who people are and will know if you are using someone else’s card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Isn't the ruling if one in the cabin has a package the other has to have a package or is that old hat now

Only if it is part of the 'initial' perks selected, yet after purchasing your cruise package and you want to add a bev package only one person in the cabin can sign up for it while the other does not have to.

cheers and bon voyage

I have seen a few times where one beverage package is purchased among husband and wife and at dinner, guess as a courtesy, both are served Evian and Pelligrino in larger bottlles. So, although this may seem unethical it occurs in the MDR at tables for 2.  Wine, beer, hard drinks, pop are precluded.

1 hour ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

I have seen a few times where one beverage package is purchased among husband and wife and at dinner, guess as a courtesy, both are served Evian and Pelligrino in larger bottlles. So, although this may seem unethical it occurs in the MDR at tables for 2.  Wine, beer, hard drinks, pop are precluded.

I think this is more for the "convenience" of the waiter.  We didn't have a drink package last time we were in a suite.  We requested tap water in Luminae as we are quite happy with that, but were often served Evian because it was handy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think this is more for the "convenience" of the waiter.  We didn't have a drink package last time we were in a suite.  We requested tap water in Luminae as we are quite happy with that, but were often served Evian because it was handy.

It shows that there is some flexibility in the beverage rules and I was pleased that the significant other wasn't given ship water, a bit of class on behalf of the Waiter or Asst Waiter. 

8 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I know that if you select a drink package both have to select the same package but don't recall the requirement of both having to buy a package.    I've been traveling with Celebrity for 20 years and don't drink while my spouse does.   I've never been forced to buy one for myself but take it if offered as a perk.

9 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Last cruise my DH purchased the classic package but I didn’t. The 3 drinks with Elite status is plenty for me. There was no problem just purchasing one package. On our upcoming cruise we both have classic as a perk and DH can upgrade if he wants even if I don’t. You no longer have to have the same package. 

Edited by sandancer

I’m so glad Celebrity doesn’t prohibit just one guest in a stateroom from buying a beverage package. We recently returned from a 17 day HAL cruise where I wanted to buy the alcohol package and my spouse the non-alcohol. Couldn’t do it. Both had to buy the same package. IMO it was a lose/lose. HAL lost the revenue and it was a disappointment for us to be excluded from the ease and enjoyment that comes with having a package.