Specialty Restaurant Advice Needed

CarolinaMamma

What ship are you booked on? It sounds like the Getaway. If so I'm finishing up a review of my most recent cruise on there:

On 3/26/2019 at 11:45 AM, CarolinaMamma said:

What are you allowed to order that’s “included” in the dining package? Can you order more than one app or side?

Yes, as others have pointed out, you shouldn't have any issues getting multiple apps or side. Per the Terms & Conditions, the only thing you are restricted to using the SDP is one entree. Some waiters may tell you one app/one entree/one dessert, and they've either been instructed to in order to save food or they could be confusing things with the platinum dining certificates, which do limit the apps and desserts. I ordered multiple apps at Ocean Blue, and for a second the waiter hesitated like he was going to tell me something and then never did (or not, maybe it was just me). I never had any issues ordered multiple apps/entrees at any of the specialties.

On a side note, I'm also very familiar with a keto/low carb diet as I'm on it when trying to lose weight (I was not on the cruise). You can definitely eat well on a low carb diet in most of the specialties. In fact most of my meal in Ocean Blue was pretty low carb - crab cake (some breading in it but not much), ahi tuna and avocado, beet salad, grilled sea bass, lobster tail, fried brussel spouts and steamed veggies. So maybe double up on Ocean Blue for low carb (there is a 12 dollar upcharge on the SDP though).

Have any of the restaurants gone severely downhill in the last few years?

I thought they were all pretty good for the most part, although we only ate at La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Ocean Blue. Just from what I've read on the boards, Cagney's seems to be the most hit or miss.

Moderno is great for low carb, although some have said that the quality of the meat isn't great.

What is the deal with Wasabi and the raw bar?

AFAIK, you just pay the upcharge (7?) and it's all you can eat. BirdTravels has posted on here about using an SDP at the Raw Bar, and was able to order a bunch of food including lobster. I've haven't read much on here about using the SDP credit at Wasabi but you should be able to for AYCE, although I guess you can confirm beforehand. Either way let us know how it goes and take lots of pictures! 😄

We have done many of the specialty restaurants on our cruises. Last Cruise we were on the Bliss - our meal at Cagneys (and we always eat there every cruise) was fantastic and service was wonderful. We always do La Cucina and LeBistro too. One cruise many years ago ate at Moderno and my hubby got ill so we never eat there. I did not try Ocean Blue as I did not like very limited menu choices. We tried the BBQ place and it was just okay so I would pass on that one. Teppanaki is great also. The only time we have been told of limits is with my Platinum meals - never on my dining package perk. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Not a fan of Moderno that place has really gone down hill. The first time I went several years back I enjoyed it, every single time after that it has been no good. Meats overcooked, bland and really salty. Nothing special at all. I don't even bother going there anymore it's a waste.

Now Le Bistro...that place is the bomb! Every cruise I book a dinner there and most cruises multiple nights. The beef tenderloin and Crème Brule is outrageous. Teppanyaki is usually pretty good and a second night there is not bad if you get a different chef for a new experience, or if you're like me have too much Sake and the first time is fuzzy :classic_biggrin:

La Cucina is better then it used to be they changed the menu so maybe give that one a try again it's decent. Plenty of low carb selections at the restaurants no worries. I usually do keto when I'm not cruising and would have no problem sticking to it at those venues, except for that darn Sake and Crème Brule.

again cruise critic has proven to provide and figure out the answers. why were you only allowed one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. This is word for word from the

LATITUDES REWARDS LOYALTY PROGRAM

Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $25 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Entrée item Côte De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées. No restaurant substitutions, Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships.

So either you were using this perk when this occurred or the wait staff thought you were and you didnt correct them.

4 hours ago, shout19661966 said:

again cruise critic has proven to provide and figure out the answers. why were you only allowed one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. This is word for word from the

Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $25 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Entrée item Côte De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées. No restaurant substitutions, Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships.

So either you were using this perk when this occurred or the wait staff thought you were and you didnt correct them.

I don’t think they are confusing it with the latitudes perk, as the SDP is so much more common than platinum. I think that in some places they are told to say it.

It is one of those random things though. It often gets reported on here that people are told that apps and desserts are restricted but I have had more than a couple of dozen meals using the SDP and I don’t recall once being told of any restriction on anything other than entrees. In fact, I have been encouraged to order more on a couple of occasions. 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:55 AM, shout19661966 said:

If you've either experienced this or have read the many reports, it is a way to restrict food consumption plain and simple.  When the first thing they say is about limits, it is being directed by someone.  They haven't asked us if Platinum meal before they even spout out the whether we are there for Plat meal or a dining plan.

We have corrected and they are good at sticking to the "script".

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the escape 7 nights ate in the speciality restaurants 6 nights. Nothing was said till the 7th night at cagneys our 2nd time there mind you. Order one app one main course two sides etc blah blah. I ordered 2 apps and 3 sides and nothing was said except ok sir when I ordered. Again i am pretty sure they are telling the staff to give this speech and if someone orders more just say yes. I did not order more then one main course nor do i wish to I had more then enough all week.

Interesting follow. 

Hi

We are cruising in about a month on Dawn.  As Platinum and 3 day SDP , we have quite a few specialty dinners. 

We believe we are not gluttons (I guess it depends on your point of view) as cruisers and play by the rules 95% of the time:  One appetizer, one salad, one main, one desert. Done.  Crazy full. 

I love Le Bistro.  I also love both the French Onion and Mushroom soups- special treat really. I intend to order both and will not make a scene if charged. 

From forums, I have read that the platinum meals are a bit more restrictive than SDS. We are dining at Cagney’s as well.  We have to decide which to apply the platinum voucher vs SDS. 

I am interested in more recent experiences in the coming weeks. 

Thanks

Last week on the Getaway the Cagney's rules were one appetizer, one soup or salad, one entree and one dessert. I was told when I ordered it that I would be charged for a cappuccino but when the bill came the waiter said he'd comped it. I have never actually been charged for an after dinner cappuccino and I always order one at Cagney's. I also paid for the three oily shrimp " cocktail". Won't do that again.

I gave Modernos a try after being dissuaded by past reviews. The pineapple came around first and it was delicious. The lamb was juicy and the sirloin was medium rare and very good. I  loved the Serrano ham and manchego on the salad bar. I would definitely try it again.

• Like 1