Home from first solo cruise

Shadygap

I just returned home yesterday from first solo cruise.  It was only a 4 day cruise on Carnival.  It was delightful.  I would do it again in a heartbeat, however I'm not sure I could go for 7 days, that's just me.  I would go for 5 days.  Maybe I just need to work up to a longer cruise alone.  I'm scheduled on Norwegian Escape in November and there are people I know going but I have a studio cabin.  The price on inside cabins have dropped.  I debated on an inside cabin to begin with and now the debate in my head is even louder.  I know you aren't in your cabin much but I'm a bit claustrophobic and I'm just not sure I can handle the studio cabin. I keep going back and forth about it. 

If you have a studio cabin then you will be close to the Studio Lounge.  I only used my cabin for sleep, shower, and getting dressed.  The lounge is much better for relaxing and reading.  The only place to sit in a studio is the bed.  I liked it but I really liked soloing in a balcony room this past February.   To each their own but there is so much to see and do on the larger ships, I would only get half of it done on a 4 or 5 day cruise.  I hope you have another great cruise in November.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, Shadygap said:

I know you aren't in your cabin much but I'm a bit claustrophobic and I'm just not sure I can handle the studio cabin. I keep going back and forth about it. 

I am going on a 12 day cruise in a couple of weeks on Norwegian and am looking forward to all the actives associated with the Studio Rooms.  After being on 14 cruises I only book inside rooms unless the price is really good.  I use the cabin like I do my bedroom at home,  shower and sleep.  If I look at my bedroom at home there is a window but I always have my blinds pulled.  Go look in your bedroom;  do you worry about seeing outside or is a place for a nice bed to sleep in?

• Like 1

I think that if the price of a regular interior is good, I would choose that option in this specific case. While you're in a cabin solo, you know others travelling, so how likely are you to take advantage of the studio lounge and its benefits? For me, I don't think the size of the cabin would bother me, but I would almost certainly appreciate more space if it was available at an affordable price.

I had my first solo cruise last year - also a 4 day on Carnival. It was a very positive and rewarding experience, so I have my next solo booked for the fall - a 5 day cruise. I'm slowly building myself up, because like you I'm not sure if I would like to do 7 or more days solo. 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Shadygap said:

I just returned home yesterday from first solo cruise.  It was only a 4 day cruise on Carnival.  It was delightful.  I would do it again in a heartbeat, however I'm not sure I could go for 7 days, that's just me.  I would go for 5 days.  Maybe I just need to work up to a longer cruise alone.  I'm scheduled on Norwegian Escape in November and there are people I know going but I have a studio cabin.  The price on inside cabins have dropped.  I debated on an inside cabin to begin with and now the debate in my head is even louder.  I know you aren't in your cabin much but I'm a bit claustrophobic and I'm just not sure I can handle the studio cabin. I keep going back and forth about it. 

I also did my first solo cruise on Carnival but it was a 5 day.  I then did my 2nd solo cruise on The Escape last April.  I was in a studio cabin which I was in before on the Epic with a friend.  I like the studio cabins because of the price; however, if the inside or a balcony cabin go down in price and it is something that I can afford then I would definitely go for it.  I found that after a certain number of days the studio cabin started feeling like I was in a large closet.  The cabin is very cute but very cozy!! I'm going on a 15 day TA at the end of April and I knew that there was no way that I could be in that cabin for 15 days.  I splurged and got a balcony and then I was upgraded to a mini suite.  I will be loving this cabin and probably won't want to leave it (lol). 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, Shadygap said:

Glad you had a good time....I am leaving for an 11 nighter tomorrow:classic_biggrin:...……..5 nights is way too short for me and even 7?

The longer the cruise the better I say!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, robin13 said:

I also did my first solo cruise on Carnival but it was a 5 day.  I then did my 2nd solo cruise on The Escape last April.  I was in a studio cabin which I was in before on the Epic with a friend.  I like the studio cabins because of the price; however, if the inside or a balcony cabin go down in price and it is something that I can afford then I would definitely go for it.  I found that after a certain number of days the studio cabin started feeling like I was in a large closet.  The cabin is very cute but very cozy!! I'm going on a 15 day TA at the end of April and I knew that there was no way that I could be in that cabin for 15 days.  I splurged and got a balcony and then I was upgraded to a mini suite.  I will be loving this cabin and probably won't want to leave it (lol). 

Thank you for verifying what I worried would happen to me!  Closet-cabin!  I just told my travel agent two days to change mine to a balcony. I said I was splurging but I can be on the same deck as everyone else that is traveling now. There are few others going this time that I know but I am the only one not sharing cabin with anyone. I’m fine with that. I will do own thing and probably just meet with some of them for some meals. But I was really stressing about the studio. Now I’m not. 

1 hour ago, Shadygap said:

Thank you for verifying what I worried would happen to me!  Closet-cabin!  I just told my travel agent two days to change mine to a balcony. I said I was splurging but I can be on the same deck as everyone else that is traveling now. There are few others going this time that I know but I am the only one not sharing cabin with anyone. I’m fine with that. I will do own thing and probably just meet with some of them for some meals. But I was really stressing about the studio. Now I’m not. 

So glad that my post helped you make the decision.  I know that people say that your never in your cabin but I always liked to spend a couple of hours relaxing after laying out at the pool so I did spend time in my cabin.  You will love having the balcony cabin to yourself and it does make it easy when you are near your friends.  BTW, I loved the Escape and wouldn't hesitate to go on the ship again.  Hope you have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with a balcony is that, after the first time I booked one, I ALWAYS have to book one!  I just really love the fresh air and being able to get a full view of the ocean from my bed...I would really miss that if I didn't book a balcony.  If my budget didn't stretch to a balcony, I would choose another cruise where I could get one.  Or not cruise at all until I had enough saved up to get one.

But, somehow, not everyone feels this way.  🙂  You won't know how you feel until you try it.

I too love a balcony but after getting a oceanview once and a solo cabin once, I found that I love cruising no matter where the room.  I will try for a balcony when available, but I won't miss a cruise that I want because the balconies are sold out.

• Like 1