Help me decide: Krazy Lobster, Topicante or Jaime's?

ValerieJo

We are doing a Back2Back in December and will be in Costa Maya two weeks in a row.  We have reservations to return to Maya Chan for one of the weeks.  Thought we would try one of the other spots for the second week.   Can't decide which one.  Are there pro and cons to each?  Thanks.

I went to Troicante and it wasnt for us at all and its funny because we all basically share the same beach but the employees , location. and comfort can make a huge difference. Tropicante was ugly to my eyes, chairs were old and the whole place didn't look like in harmony, we reserved before going but the place was empty anyways before 10.30am ohh and the internet wasnt working at all. The stuff dont look really motivated but thats just my opinion.

2 years later we went to Krazy lobter and omg we loved it, the area is huge you dont have to fight for a shade, the food is delicous I dont drink alcohol but I remember my aunt saying that the drinks were cheap, music is close by and the employees treat you like family- the internet works- I dont think I will explore any other place but Krazy lobster 

Pic7.jpg

• Like 1

You sure you were at Tropicante and not El Faro next door?  How long ago was this?

OP,  Unless you want an AI along the malecon, go to either Krazy Lobster or Tropicante.  They are almost next to each other.  If you want an AI and don't want to travel south of the main malecon, then go with Jaime's over Nohoch Kay but be careful...if full Jaime's will direct you to Nachos, which is up next to (and a part of) Blue Kay.  

• Like 1

I just came back from a cruise last week that stopped in Costa Maya, and I would highly recommend Jaime's. We had a group of ten, and everyone thought it was the best day of the cruise. They treat you like long lost relatives there, the food and drinks were excellent, and they could not have given us better service. They even had a live band playing in the restaurant in the afternoon! It was amazing. Kayaks were also included in the base price, if that interests you. Overall just an exceptional experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, crewsweeper said:

You sure you were at Tropicante and not El Faro next door?  How long ago was this?

It was tropicante, we reserved by email, our names were in a board like confirming our reservation, the owner is a tall American 50+guy. As we were there he spent 30 minutes talking to a guy bragging about his water filtration process 🍵. It was my frist trip to costa maya so I went to the place with the most reviews but I dont see what other are seeing. I think it was 2-3 yrs ago not sure, went I went back again but this time to Krazy Lobter we walked by again Tropicante just to see how thing are doing I am glad we are now loyal to Krazy LObster

PIc below is from Tropicante 👎

tro.JPG

Edited by mcatmcat

• 2 weeks later...

I usually go to Tropicante unless I am in late in the evening when Fernando is at his place. They are 2 of my favorites but I went to the Krazy Lobster last week and found it extremely friendly with great prices on beer and good cocktails and food. Next trip I think I will go back to Krazy Lobster again just because I have been to Tropicante so many times.

The staff at Tropicante are nice, but their swimming area kinda sucks.

KL has a bigger water area, and the staff has partnerships if you want to go snorkeling or on a jetski.

Food at Tropicante was a little better.

At the end of the day, there are 9459034853409854309 restaurants all on the same beach.  Neither of these places will screw you.  Can't say anything about the other places, since these 2 are the only ones that I've visited.

45 minutes ago, yoolykeme said:

The staff at Tropicante are nice, but their swimming area kinda sucks.

KL has a bigger water area, and the staff has partnerships if you want to go snorkeling or on a jetski.

Food at Tropicante was a little better.

At the end of the day, there are 9459034853409854309 restaurants all on the same beach.  Neither of these places will screw you.  Can't say anything about the other places, since these 2 are the only ones that I've visited.

Interested to know the difference in swimming areas as we have only been to Tropicante, of the two? First time there I didn't find any particular problem. second time the water was rough and there was a lot of seaweed but I am not sure it would have been any different at Krazy Lobster since it is only a few  bars down?

We had actually intended to give KL a try as well that day but since it wasn't particularly a swimming day we just stayed and relaxed at Tropicante - maybe next time. We are going soon with a young child is KL better for children than Tropicante - otherwise it will probably be Blue Kay.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, calmpets said:

I just came back from a cruise last week that stopped in Costa Maya, and I would highly recommend Jaime's. We had a group of ten, and everyone thought it was the best day of the cruise. They treat you like long lost relatives there, the food and drinks were excellent, and they could not have given us better service. They even had a live band playing in the restaurant in the afternoon! It was amazing. Kayaks were also included in the base price, if that interests you. Overall just an exceptional experience.

Agree completely with calmpets!  We were there on April 12th, not crowded that day.  Service.....exceptional, we loved it.  One price per person, the drinks flowed if you wanted, so did the food.  Juan and Erica, I wish we could have taken them home!  And we are 67 & 70!  We had a blast.

Edited by CM1984

2 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Interested to know the difference in swimming areas as we have only been to Tropicante, of the two? First time there I didn't find any particular problem. second time the water was rough and there was a lot of seaweed but I am not sure it would have been any different at Krazy Lobster since it is only a few  bars down?

We had actually intended to give KL a try as well that day but since it wasn't particularly a swimming day we just stayed and relaxed at Tropicante - maybe next time. We are going soon with a young child is KL better for children than Tropicante - otherwise it will probably be Blue Kay.

So here's my experience:

When I first went to CM, it was like 7 years ago.  I thought that it was the nicest beach and water that I've ever seen.   I went again in November, and it seems that there is a lot of algae growing towards the beach and it's not as nice anymore.  To combat this, there are barriers/nets placed a couple of meters out from the beach.

Just a glance, KL looks to both have a bigger beach and water area.  KL is just a bigger operation.  That doesn't mean that it's better.  But again, they are 30 seconds away from each other, so really, once you get to the beach via shuttle or taxi, you can walk from one to the other and see which one you want to go to.  Of course, you're going to have like 50 hawkers yelling at you from the time that you get out of the cab lol.  With a child, I would say that KL is better, just because there is a bigger portion of beach to play around in.

Irrespective of which one is better, I like either because they just seem less "scammy" than many of the other places.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 8:55 PM, yoolykeme said:

So here's my experience:

When I first went to CM, it was like 7 years ago.  I thought that it was the nicest beach and water that I've ever seen.   I went again in November, and it seems that there is a lot of algae growing towards the beach and it's not as nice anymore.  To combat this, there are barriers/nets placed a couple of meters out from the beach.

Just a glance, KL looks to both have a bigger beach and water area.  KL is just a bigger operation.  That doesn't mean that it's better.  But again, they are 30 seconds away from each other, so really, once you get to the beach via shuttle or taxi, you can walk from one to the other and see which one you want to go to.  Of course, you're going to have like 50 hawkers yelling at you from the time that you get out of the cab lol.  With a child, I would say that KL is better, just because there is a bigger portion of beach to play around in.

Irrespective of which one is better, I like either because they just seem less "scammy" than many of the other places.

Thanks for your views.

My first choice would be Blue Kay with a child for the very reason that I think it has the most space. What puts me off is their inconsistent pricing policies although in recent times they now seem to have settled on an initial fee snd two “free” drinks. Just wish they would be transparent and would answer emails.

We have enjoyed Tropicante but think it is a little closed in for kids.