Train from Cadiz to Seville

pcrum

Hi:

I see there is a direct train from Cadiz to Seville.  Wondering if anyone has taken the train.  We will be in Cadiz on May 8 and want to go to Seville but the tours seem to be booked already.  The train is direct and seems easy enough.  Just wonder if anyone has done this and has any tips.  I assume we should purchase the tickets in advance?  Our ship is in port from 7 am to 8 pm, so we should have plenty of time.

Thank you.

Train station is about 15 min walk from dock. Trip is around 2 hrs ow. There no discount for advance purchase that I am aware of as it's is a regional train. However there is discount for RT vs 2 ow. Try to go San Bernardo station in Sevilla as it's closer to major attractions. 

We have done the train (round trip) on two occasions.  If you have a long port day it is doable and you should purchase tickets in advance since the trains can sometimes be sold-out if you buy at the last minute.   There is usually a train around 8:15  which would be ideal if your ship docks on time, but that train goes to the Santa Justa station which is not the most convenient for tourists.  Otherwise you would have to wait for the 8:40 which takes you to the more convenient San Bernardo Station.  We have walked to the station, but it is a hike.  It can also be done by local bus, but you do have to find the bus stop (outside the port).  A taxi is the fastest  (about 10 min).  We have always found the RENFE trains to be clean and they do seem to normally run on time.

Hank

Also you may be able to ride for free from Santa Justa to San Bernardo on a regional train with Cadiz ticket but I am not sure. From San Bernardo can walk to Plaza Espana / Maria Luisa park in about 10 min. Walk to Alcazar and Cathedral ( they are beside each other) is about 20-25 min or take #1 tram there (fare 1.40€). Suggest buying timed ticket to Alcazar on line (12.50) as line up may be as long as 1 hr. Other attractions are University of Seville building (tobacco factory famed by Carmen). It's possible to see flamenco during the day in Triana market https://casalateatro.com/casala-teatro/intimamente-flamenco/?lang=en 

If not will probably see street performance in the center.

Edited by hkto

Thanks for the information.  We are on a waiting list with Spain Day Tours for a tour which includes Alcazar.  Not sure if I should hold out for a spot on the tour or just proceed with purchasing train tickets and Alcazar tickets on our own.  Who knew the tours would sell out 6 weeks in advance??  Live and learn!!

If going just to Alcazar trip is easily doable on your own. And way cheaper. I saw tour guides selling 1 hr guided tour if that of interest otherwise they got audio guides which are basically same and don't rush. Timed ticket purchased online is only 1€ more but saves time. There is a separate line for prepurchased tickets. Without it may be as long as 1 hr wait. Cathedral and Giralda are next door.