Florence hotel for 3 nights pre-cruise

Mc2nicho

Hi!  My husband, 19 yo daughter and myself will be spending 3 nights prior to cruise in the Florence area - anyone have any hotel recommendations?  We stayed in Rome last time and wanted to explore that area this time, but just not sure where to stay that would be nice and also good for getting around the area to explore.  Thanks in advance!!

I booked an Airbnb for three nights before our October 1; cruise.  I booked within walking distance to the train station for ease of travel and not having to take a cab.

A little over a year ago we stayed at the Grand Hotel Minerva, which is also near the train station and was very convenient and a nice area. It's also next door to Santa Maria Novella.

The historic center of Florence is small. We walked everywhere. 

We stayed at Hotel Santa Maria Novella across from the church.  Close to the train station and central Florence. We were in a suite overlooking the square with an entry room where they set up a bed for our adult son. Worked out great. Florence is fantastic and very easy to walk around.

On 3/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, MCazer said:

I booked an Airbnb for three nights before our October 1; cruise.  I booked within walking distance to the train station for ease of travel and not having to take a cab.

Do you have any info on the Airbnb you booked?  That is something I should look into as well instead of only hotels.  Thanks!

Last time, I stayed at the Westin.  Right on the Arno River.  Great neighborhood with some really good restaurants.  Easy walking to every place you'd want to visit.   I felt just fine and safe walking the area at night, even as late as midnight.  

If arriving by train you have many choices and should pay a lot of attention to location vis-à-vis being in a location that is within walking distance of the main tourist area (surrounding the Duomo).   But if driving a car (which is what we are usually doing when in Italy) we prefer the Hotel David....which is a charming small hotel just outside the main tourist area (and ZTL) which has free parking and a daily wine hour.  From the David we can stroll along the Arno into the central part of Florence.

One might wonder why we love driving in Italy and it is because of the flexibility to go where we want, when we want, without wasting tons of time waiting for tours, public transit, etc.  Much of the charm of Italy is found outside major cities.  While Florence is a fantastic place, there are so many interesting places nearby....such as San Gimignano, Volterra,   the S222 wine read that snakes its way through the beautiful Chianti area, etc.   

Hank

While our trip to Italy was 8 years ago, the apartment we stayed at in Florence is still available as a rental. It’s location can’t be beat! It is in the heart of the historic district, so close to the Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi Gallery, the Straw Market and so many restaurants and shops. We walked everywhere. It is on a high floor which means lots of stairs but there is a very small elevator. It’s been a while since we were there and I don’t think this is the website we used but here it is if for nothing else for you to see the location. 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/la-loggia-firenze.html

Edited by Ski Mom 2

We really enjoyed our three nights in Hotel Giglio on Via Cavour in Florence. (It has been a number of years since we were there, but I see it is still getting good reviews). Our room was clean with a spacious bathroom, located in an historic building, and with the most helpful staff. Best of all, some of the main attractions in Florence are less than a 15 min. walk.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:46 AM, bobalink said:

We were very happy with our room at:

Hotel accommodations in Florence:

Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco

https://ilguelfobianco.it/

Trip Advisor: 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d232975-Reviews-Il_Guelfo_Bianco-Florence_Tuscany.html

Thank you bobalink!  Just looked at the reviews and website earlier today and sent an email to the hotel with a question.  Made my reservation tonight.  Seems like a great place.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mc2nicho said:

Thank you bobalink!  Just looked at the reviews and website earlier today and sent an email to the hotel with a question.  Made my reservation tonight.  Seems like a great place.  Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome! I think you will be happy there. It's location is very central and everything is in walking distance. it's so easy to do a walking tour in Florence. I recommend getting the (free) Rick Steves Audio Europe App and use your iPhone for "do it yourself" guided tours. My daughter thought it was a terrific way to explore.  Enjoy!