Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III

So, I believe I am going to buy the RX10 III.  Right now it appears that it is $100 everywhere.  Is this price 'on sale' or has it been that way for awhile?  Just wondering if I should pull the trigger now or next week to see if the price would further drop in April considering Panasonic is coming out with a new camera at the end of the month.  Any thoughts?  

Well, for whatever reason I couldn't edit my post.  I meant to say $100 off everywhere so it is $1299.  On the Crutchfield website it has it on sale until 3/30.  Looks like it goes up and down every 2 weeks.  My fear is that if I don't purchase now...I will have to wait at least 2 weeks which is fine but I'm leaving on my trip May 6 and am working practically every day up to that so I need to work in time with the camera....I'd also love to save $100, lol considering I'll have to buy extra batteries and not sure if my lens filters from my Canon will even work on this one so i might have to add those as well.  

I'm only asking here if you all have noticed any trends in pricing since you all seem so well versed.

Edited by vermonter16

You can get the RX10ii with a 24-200 lens for $998, and it has most of the features of the RX10iii, except for the 600 mm zoom lens.  If you don't need the extra reach of the 600 mm lens, I think the RX11 is a better value.   It also has a built-in ND filter, which I'm not sure the RX10iii has.  I've had RX10ii for about 6 months, and love it . . .

I actually wanted to go for the RXii, and if it had a 300mm lens I would hop on it....but I really want a minimum of a 300...  I looked at the Panny's with the 400... but they just don't seem to be doing it for me.

Edited by vermonter16

Ok, so I went ahead and placed my order through Crutchfield.  They also have a 60 day price guarantee which sealed the deal.  I have used them before in the past for other electronics and preferred to give them my business so I think it was a win/win.  I will update after I've had this camera for a bit.  I haven't decided on a memory card yet so if anyone has any suggestions for that, it would be appreciated.  I've got my husband's memory card to use for right now.

1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

.  I've got my husband's memory card to use for right now.

I have had a Sony  RX10-III for over a year though I usually shoot with my A6300s. You can't beat having that extreme zoom when you need it!

I have a bunch of SanDisk ExtremePro 95 MB/S 64GB chips and a bunch of extra batteries - fortunately they are used in the A6300s as well as the RX-10-III.

I should mention that Dave has mentioned a couple of posts ago that he has been switching from SanDisk to the new Sony chips.

• Like 1

I use a combination of Sony and Sandisk cards so far.  I'm perfectly happy with both and am confident enough in both companies.  I typically buy the 95mb speed cards - which are fine for almost any type of shooting...Extreme Pro UHS-I cards from Sandisk generally perform beyond my actual shooting needs or the camera's transfer abilities, so that's more than enough for me...UHS II and XQD cards are overkill for most.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tommui987 said:

I should mention that Dave has mentioned a couple of posts ago that he has been switching from SanDisk to the new Sony chips.

The 300 Mb/s UHS II cards I use in my A7III are Sony but the rest of my cards for the A6300 and A6000 are SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/s 16gb and 32gb units. I also have a few of the 32gb 95 Mb/s Sony cards. Since I rotate my cards to extend the write life, it is just as likely to find a SanDisk in use as a Sony. Both brands have performed flawlessly and I would highly recommend either.

Dave

I used to take photos all the time and got away from it....I used to love it.  I'm really excited about getting this camera and getting back into it.  I appreciate the recommendations and advice on the cards and real world information - like not spending more on a card just because it is supposed to be the fastest when I either won't notice it or it goes beyond the capability of the camera.  

2 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

...ike not spending more on a card just because it is supposed to be the fastest when I either won't notice it or it goes beyond the capability of the camera.  

Don't ignore the benefit of fast downloads when you get home. My latest camera can use the extra speed but I seldom shoot in a way that requires it. Even so, I have been using fast cards for years not only for the download speed but for the fact that they require more stringent inspections and testing during manufacturing. Does this contribute to my record of no card failures? I don't know. At any rate, I like to stack the deck in my favor whenever possible.

Another 2¢...😁 

Dave

On 3/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, vermonter16 said:

Ok, so I went ahead and placed my order through Crutchfield.  They also have a 60 day price guarantee which sealed the deal.  I have used them before in the past for other electronics and preferred to give them my business so I think it was a win/win.  I will update after I've had this camera for a bit.  I haven't decided on a memory card yet so if anyone has any suggestions for that, it would be appreciated.  I've got my husband's memory card to use for right now.

Good choice with the RX10. If I were to pick a single camera to travel the world with--it would be either the III or the IV. 600mm is wonderful. I could be wrong, but the III still has the Playmemories ecosystem, too. I have the IV for the improved AF, but miss the Playmemories stuff all the time.

Yes, it does have the Playmemories ecosystem and I'm not quite sure what that is yet, lol but I see that it has it.  I just unboxed it today and charged the battery so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I have to order some accessories at this point, extra battery, SD card, and I need a lens keeper for sure....lens filter.  Any suggestions?  I believe I'm going to go for the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards...probably the 32GB, not sure I need the 64GB.

8 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Yes, it does have the Playmemories ecosystem and I'm not quite sure what that is yet, lol but I see that it has it.  I just unboxed it today and charged the battery so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I have to order some accessories at this point, extra battery, SD card, and I need a lens keeper for sure....lens filter.  Any suggestions?  I believe I'm going to go for the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards...probably the 32GB, not sure I need the 64GB.

With Playmemories, you can use apps like "Smooth Reflections" or Time Lapse. I think it also supports touchless shutter. You can find out what they do here: https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

I made these following images using the Smooth Reflections app last year during a cruise. 

DSC00624_bw.jpeg

SPP08421.jpeg

SPP09446_pl.jpeg

The reason that I love the Playmemories apps stuff is because on my other cameras that support swapping lenses, I can use lenses that have a bulbous front element (they tend to be ultrawide angle lenses), that a filter would either be impossible to mount or be ridiculously expensive. With the Smooth Reflections app--I don't need to worry about that stuff

The reason that I love the Playmemories apps stuff is because on my other cameras that support swapping lenses, I can use lenses that have a bulbous front element (they tend to be ultrawide angle lenses), that a filter would either be impossible to mount or be ridiculously expensive. With the Smooth Reflections app--I don't need to worry about that stuff.

Also--these images were all taken from the RX10---I could not have done these unless I had that 600mm reach.

DSC02030.jpg

DSC07270.jpg

Hey spthealien, I've got a question for you since you seem to be pretty fluent in photography.  My husband wanted me to get a new camera specifically for our Alaskan cruise....I am super practical so of course I thought it was ridiculous but - why not get back into photography.  I could have gone with the RX10 IV if I had chosen but I felt overall that I just didn't need it for my purposes.  I have my III and I'm going to stick with it....but I am a little concerned as to some threads I've read about people using it for whale watching saying they would have gone with the IV over the III....which I get - but certainly I can still get great shots with the III, right?  I suppose I am second guessing myself at this point.  I had a very old Rebel when they first became digital and was able to take some pretty great whale photos so surely I can do that with the III and I didn't need to go to the IV right?....not just for that....   

1 hour ago, vermonter16 said:

Hey spthealien, I've got a question for you since you seem to be pretty fluent in photography.  My husband wanted me to get a new camera specifically for our Alaskan cruise....I am super practical so of course I thought it was ridiculous but - why not get back into photography.  I could have gone with the RX10 IV if I had chosen but I felt overall that I just didn't need it for my purposes.  I have my III and I'm going to stick with it....but I am a little concerned as to some threads I've read about people using it for whale watching saying they would have gone with the IV over the III....which I get - but certainly I can still get great shots with the III, right?  I suppose I am second guessing myself at this point.  I had a very old Rebel when they first became digital and was able to take some pretty great whale photos so surely I can do that with the III and I didn't need to go to the IV right?....not just for that....   

Honestly, you'll be fine with your III. However, I would suggest getting used to get focus fast. The IV can focus quicker--and it even has a touch screen for tracking and focus--so I can see how some can prefer the fast AF for whales (and other fast moving subjects that hide and then resurface). If you are whale watching, you are likely out in bright sun and might be shooting at f/8 and above anyway--so if you have a hair trigger--you should be able to get the whales sharp anyway. It all comes down to knowing your gear and experience.

• Like 1

LOL, I know - I was seconding guessing myself.  If I can't get it with the III than I just can't get it.  I wish the weather had been better here so I could be outside with it - back to work tomorrow when it will be warm and sunny.  I still have a month.  I actually prefer the 'non touch' screen of the III.  I had to draw the line somewhere with the budget and I'd rather spend the extra I 'saved' on a quality UV filter (I did order the one from Breakthrough) and extra batteries, cards, etc.  Thanks.  I know I can shoot quickly and grab the shot as I've done it on two separate trips with whales.  And....it isn't ALL about the whales, lol.  I am wondering if I should shoot RAW or if that would slow the camera too much.  Thanks for all the advice.

Sure thing! Put a bunch of hours on that RX10 before you leave. Test it out on fast moving subjects and learn how to nail your shots. More experience won't ever hurt you. Make sure your card is fast (UHS-I U3 card).

• Thanks 1