How does the upgrade process work?

MR_T

Hi All, 

just wondering how the NCL cabin upgrade system works? I’m a regular on celebrity and they send out an email anytime after final payment with the option in it should you be lucky to get one, is it the same on NCL,

on celebritys website there’s also a page where you can check if your cruise has upgrades to offer and I believe you can use that method as well so start the process, while looking at the NCL site I couldn’t find any info relating to upgrades so just wondered if I’m missing something? 

Thanks in in advance for any replies 👍🏼 

Ncl will send you an email at about 80 days prior to sailing date or check your myncl account at that 80 day mark to see if you have the upgrade banner, from the email or banner their is a link that will take you to the website to upgrade.

note not all are offered to upgrade, especially those who book thru ta's find a lot of ta's do not participate 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Ncl will send you an email at about 80 days prior to sailing date or check your myncl account at that 80 day mark to see if you have the upgrade banner, from the email or banner their is a link that will take you to the website to upgrade.

note not all are offered to upgrade, especially those who book thru ta's find a lot of ta's do not participate 

The banner isn't for an upgrade.... it's for the opportunity to BID for an upgrade. Just getting the invite or banner does not mean you get an upgrade. 

https://www.ncl.com/content/upgrade-advantage-faq

Pretty extensive threads here:

Edited by esm54687
  • Thanks 1

Short answer, it's an auction; you basically bid for your upgrade & the highest bid wins.  See the thread referred to above.

"Back in the day" (i.e. pre-NCL CEO DelRio's tenure) you'd get a call when the "Upgrade Fairy" decided to tap you with her wand & offer it to you.  IMHO, this was sort of unfair as pax had NO IDEA how or when the Upgrade Fairy bestowed her largesse.  We had cruised NCL quite often & had NEVER been tapped, yet we'd hear onboard & read posts here from fellow pax who'd been tapped by the Fairy on numerous occasions.  Of course these tales may have been anecdotal but at least the new system seems fair as it's offered to all & not a random chosen few.  My 2 cents.