Quebec to Montreal options

Love Cruis'n

Our cruise will end in Quebec City following an overnight stay there.   We are looking for a options re: getting to our (downtown) Montreal hotel.  Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Can anyone suggest alternatives to the bus/train?  We may be able to get another 2 or 3 couples to join my wife and I.  Any private companies to recommend?

Thanks,

Terry

Im just curious as to why no to the train? Its the same amount of time as driving and its about $50 per person (or $120 pp if you want to jump up to business class). We've done it several times and it was quite nice-- we drove up from the US and left the car in Montreal for a few days and did a round trip on the train. 

I would agree with the previous poster then-- rental car would be your least expensive other alternative. When we looked into car services between Montreal and Quebec it was in the $250-300 range for a sedan-- technically it would have sat 4 passengers but only 3 comfortably with 1 in the front passenger seat. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would take the train too. There is a ridiculous amount of road construction happening in and around the city right now with detours and closures... The train would be the best way to get into the city easily and with the least amount of stress.

As a Montreal I would say either rent a car, but there's so much construction as you approach Montreal that it can be frustrating drive, or take a bus. I've known people who've done this and it's not a long drive. Enjoy your cruise and your stay in Montreal.

We have used a car/limousine service to take a family group of four from Quebec City (Fairmont Chateau Frontenac) to Montreal airport before. Great service, but definitely pricey. Limousine A1. 

If you want to have someone drive you, you might consider finding a tour company that would not only provide inter-city transfer but also take you to one or two sites on the way? Might make the cost more worthwhile.

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Neither my wife nor I have mastered the art of packing light.   I shudder at the thought of having to manage 2 large and a pair of 22" bags onto a short hop train.   And then stow them - where? Maybe I'm picturing problems that don't exist, but my back is not as young as it used to be. 😉

13 hours ago, Love Cruis'n said:

Thanks all.  Neither my wife nor I have mastered the art of packing light.   I shudder at the thought of having to manage 2 large and a pair of 22" bags onto a short hop train.   And then stow them - where? Maybe I'm picturing problems that don't exist, but my back is not as young as it used to be. 😉

You're picturing problems that dont exist-- they aren't city commuter trains-- they are extremely comfortable long haul configured trains with large seats (like domestic first class size), luggage compartments, and a bar/dining car. There is also business class with more amenities and free meals/drinks. 

The stations on both ends have porters that will load and unload your luggage for tips. It is by far the most civilized way to travel between the two cities. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

...luggage compartments...

Unfortunately not all of the trains have a luggage car (IIRC it's only a couple a day on this rail corridor, not all trains run the full route and many are used primarily by local business commuters rather than long-distance travelers - flying vs train is pretty much a wash due to the extra time required to check-in for planes and get to/from suburban airports, so it's pretty common for folks to use the train for meetings between any adjacent pair of cities on the Quebec City-Windsor corridor).

The VIA timetables do specify which ones will have a luggage car though, so you can be sure to book one of those - and then you can check bags on just like in an airport, so less hassle than a bus where you have to drag them all over to the side of the bus. All carriages have racks above your head but those only fit smaller cases (your 22" carryon size should be OK if you want to keep one of those with you).

Personally I'd also opt for the train, it's the most pleasant onboard experience (even if you don't spring for Business).

Edited by martincath

22 hours ago, Love Cruis'n said:

For Via Rail trains without baggage cars, there are areas at either end of each car where you can stow your larger bags while smaller bags can go in overhead racks.  Attendants will help you getting your bags on and off the cars.

We will be traveling on the 8:15 am Quebec city to Montral train, on a week day.  No luggage car but we will only have backpacks and 22" suitcases. Not in business class.

Is there a place to buy food on the train?  Or should we eat before boarding?  If so any recommendations for breakfast places close to the train station?

Any other tips to make the train experience as pleasant as possible? 

Edited by Sailor Taylor

There are several breakfast places on the way from the cruise terminal to the train station, but that is not convenient when dragging luggage, because the sidewalks are narrow and uneven.

I'm from Montréal and often travel to Québec on business.  I would strongly recommend having breakfast at the restaurant of Auberge Saint-Antoine.  It is across the street from the terminal (I often get a room overlooking the terminal in the summer), and is part of Relais & Châteaux.  Granted, the breakfast will set you back about 30$ CAD pp (that's CAD, not USD!) but I feel it is really Worth it.  They will keep your luggage and hail a cab for you when you're ready to go.

BTW, when I have the choice, I take the train from Montréal to Québec.  You might want to consider business class, as breakfast is included and decent.

The train station in Montréal is downtown.  It is in fact under the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.

When at the Montréal Central Station, go to the ticket counter and inquire as to the availability of the Shuttle to the airport, if you have an air ticket for the day,.  Since you are there on a Week day, there will be plenty, leaving from Montréal towards Ottawa and Toronto.  All those trains pass at Dorval station.  With your air ticket, the train is free to Dorval station, and the same for the bus Shuttle from Dorval train to the airport.  They will guide you at the ticket counter.

• Thanks 1

Come to think of it, you might want to consider booking your train from Québec to Dorval.

Check the schedule as not all trains do this.  The advantage is that you can stay on the train in Montréal, as passengers from Québec get out, while those going to Ottawa or Toronto hop on.  The layover is usually about 15-20 minutes.

Once you're in Dorval, you take the shuttle or a cab to the airport.  10 minute trip.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, Love Cruis'n said:

Our cruise will end in Quebec City following an overnight stay there.   We are looking for a options re: getting to our (downtown) Montreal hotel.  Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Can anyone suggest alternatives to the bus/train?  We may be able to get another 2 or 3 couples to join my wife and I.  Any private companies to recommend?

Thanks,

Terry

We are going the opposite direction pre cruise and rented a car, was not very expensive. But, return it as soon as you get to Montreal. It's not needed in town and parking is expensive.

Edited by JuliaMS

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend the train as I travel regularly on that line, comfortable and excellent service.  Business class includes meal and drinks, comfort class the attendant comes by with food and drinks for sale.  I do not recommend driving downtown Montreal as it is construction season.  As stated a few trains a day travelling from Quebec city to Ottawa make a stop in Montreal Central station then carry on with the next stop being Dorval airport (YUL).  These are intercity trains not commuter trains.

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/winter2018/06-07_Quebec-SainteFoy-Montreal-Ottawa.pdf

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/ontario-and-quebec/montreal-quebec-city

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/ontario-and-quebec/ottawa-quebec-city

Edited by mrell345