Hotel near Port.

Dberten

We are looking for a hotel near the Princess Port or downtown Southampton for 2 days before Princess Sapphire cruise on June 1 Nights are May 30 and 31. Cruise departs June1.

We were going to stay in London Kensington but people tell me it is over 2 hours travel from there in rush hour. Princess cruise has us on the wait lists at 2 hotel that they recommend. Sp now scrambling for a hotel that is affordable and close to the port. Fly into Heathrow  from US May 30 at 6AM.

Looking for soe leads!

Any recommendations?

Staying in London affordable you the chance to do some sightseeing there first, then make your way to Southampton the morning of your cruise. Loads of people do it - take the bus, or train, or hire a car. And leave in plenty of time. 1.5-2 hours, usually 

Or stay in Southampton instead, make your way there from your flight. Airbnb, or any of the number of hotels there. We've only done Airbnb there as we prefer the space and amenities. There's a Premier In that gets recommend a lot. 

TripAdvisor and Expedia are good helps. 

We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Southampton in May.  It overlooks the cruise piers and is walking distance to some of the docks.   We're taking National Express (bus) from Heathrow to Southampton since we arrive 2 days prior to the cruise.  We've been to London so many times and never to Southampton so we want to explore before we sail.

Edited by Diver2014

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Southampton in May.  It overlooks the cruise piers and is walking distance to some of the docks.   We're taking National Express (bus) from Heathrow to Southampton since we arrive 2 days prior to the cruise.  We've been to London so many times and never to Southampton so we want to explore before we sail.

3 hours ago, skynight said:

We also stayed at the Holiday Inn. You can walk over to French St. and up into the downtown. There is also a way downtown that cuts through the mall. 

Thanks. The closes HI is booked . Have to take the next one. My sister-in-law gave me a name of a tour service in Southampton that might be helpful with the transfers and tour of the area. Waiting for a reply from them. Mention was the Titanic exhibit as very good.

We did see London a couple of times. But i am told Southampton has several sites that are interesting and do not know if we ever will get back, but know we will back to London.

And staying near the port, gives us the benefit of not having to take over 90 plus minutes getting to the ship. Feel less hassle before starting out on a relaxing cruise adventure. But I have not dismissed it yet. Trying to find a hotel room close to the port may be difficult right now.

3 minutes ago, Dberten said:

We did see London a couple of times. But i am told Southampton has several sites that are interesting and do not know if we ever will get back, but know we will back to London.

And staying near the port, gives us the benefit of not having to take over 90 plus minutes getting to the ship. Feel less hassle before starting out on a relaxing cruise adventure. But I have not dismissed it yet. Trying to find a hotel room close to the port may be difficult right now.

Got it. If you haven't done Stonehenge, I would try and at least stop there on your way to Southampton.

In Southampton the Premier Inn West Quay is a good place to stay. It is very reasonable and clean. It’s also in a good location with the West Quay shopping mall just across the street. And it’s close to the port.  There is more than one Premier Inn in Southampton but this one is in the best location.  It also has air-conditioning which you may or may not need and a restaurant. 

Edited by Sea Day Cruiser

The Hol Inn in Southampton is very convenient, but fully booked.

Ditto, it seems, all of the many city centre hotels - it's after a long holiday weekend.

The two HI Expresses are both on the outskirts of the city, in areas which have little to offer unless you have a car.

Ditto a number of hotels offered either on the outskirts or in the nearby countryside.

If it's not too late, check out 

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/301-portcullis-apartments.en-gb.html?aid=397594;label=gog235jc-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gDaFCIAQGYAQm4AQbIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQ

As I type, this sensibly-priced one-bedroom apartment is available for your choice of 31st or both 30th & 31st of May.

I don't know the property, but I do know the location - it's easy walking to the waterfront, the pubs & restaurants of Oxford Street, the few old-town sights, and the modern shopping centre. But the rail & coach stations are on the other side of the city centre, a £6 - £8 taxi ride away.

And it's right by the Dock Gate for your ship - I think the name, Portcullis House, comes from the customs offices that used to occupy the site.

Any other day Sapphire Princess would be berthed at Ocean Cruise Terminal and easily walkable even with luggage. Unfortunately 1st June is a busy day with 5 ships in, so according to the port website she'll be at QE11 Cruise Terminal - same Port Gate but QE11 Terminal is deep in the docks at the end of a dock road busy with truck traffic, so a taxi (£6 to £7) is recommended.

Can I suggest that, if you've not booked HI Express or it's cancellable, you book this apartment soonest for both nights if you consider it acceptable, even if you're not yet sure of your movements - if you book on the booking.com website there's free cancellation up to 15th May.

That ensures you are guaranteed but are not committed to conveniently-located accommodation.

Then if you like you can continue to search in both Southampton & London - including occasionally checking out Southampton city centre hotels in case of cancellations, or AirBnB for guest-houses or B&B.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited to add. The website mentions that the Maritime Museum is 0.3 miles away. That's out of date, the 13th century stone-built Wool House which housed the maritime museum was converted to a micro-brewery & pub (and a very good one) when the Sea City museum (the "Titanic exhibit") was opened. That museum is at the top of the city centre near the rail station, about a 20-minute walk - but old-town sights like the Tudor Merchant's House and the Medieval Merchant's House are less than 10 minutes walk. 

Edited by John Bull

Booked a room thru Airbnb at 301 Portcullis Apartments. Had problem with BOOKING with credit card verification. not with Airbnb.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Waiting for White Taxi  to contact me about transfer and tours in Southampton. My sister-in-lw used the, and highly recommend them.

3 hours ago, Dberten said:

Booked a room thru Airbnb at 301 Portcullis Apartments. Had problem with BOOKING with credit card verification. not with Airbnb.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Waiting for White Taxi  to contact me about transfer and tours in Southampton. My sister-in-lw used the, and highly recommend them.

Great minds think alike :classic_smile:

When I switched on my computer thismorning it was still open at the booking.com link in my last post.

But by then 301 Portcullis Apartments was showing as already-booked. :classic_sad:

Then I logged into Cruise Critic, and saw that it was you who'd booked it. :classic_smile:

Booking.com's price no longer shows, but from memory it was about the same as AirBnB's.

The only significant difference is that AirBnB bookings are only cancellable for about 48 hours after booking - but altho I don't know the property I don't think you've made a massive mistake in booking it.

Altho I'm a local I don't know "White Taxis" (actually, all of Southampton's taxis are white).

I'm wary of organisations that don't quote an address or landline phone number, but you can't get better than a recommendation from a family member. And reviews on the web are good too.

Because there are too many variables it's difficult to compare car service prices for day-trips.

But for your Heathrow to Southampton also get quotes from www.smithsforairports.com, www.aquacars.co.uk and www.westquaycars.com to make sure that "White Taxis" price is in the same ballpark. Those three are also Southampton-based, and frequently recommended on Cruise Critic

If you need more info about Southampton or sights within day-trip distance, come back to this page and ask.

Edited by John Bull

Thanks JB!  I agree with the comments you made but I was disturbed by looking at other comments and links that most of Southampton hotels downtown area was booked solid. I am on the wait list for Princess hotels but do not anticipate any changes close to our ship departure.  The Airbnb booking was easy and got confirmation emails from the owner immediately.

So I am confident with it unless something happens that I could not anticipate. Thanks for your help in my matter. Lookong forward to the trip.

I booked air from Princess and have to verify if free transfer is allotted to the air booking. As my sister-in-law liked White Taxi group for the her tour of Southampton and the transfers to/from Heathrow, I will verify with Princess tomorrow.  Then I can go on to tours booking. Then on our way!

1 hour ago, Dberten said:

I booked air from Princess and have to verify if free transfer is allotted to the air booking. As my sister-in-law liked White Taxi group for the her tour of Southampton and the transfers to/from Heathrow, I will verify with Princess tomorrow.  Then I can go on to tours booking. Then on our way!

We've never booked cruise-air.

But we have frequently booked fly-cruises (which I don't think you have in the States - the cruise line charters whole aircraft to get passengers from the UK to the Med, Caribbean, etc), and transfers between airport & ship are included - but they're always in big buses.

Princess' transfer buses only operate on sailing day, and I rather suspect that they won't pay something like £90+ for a private transfer from LHR to Southampton. But who knows?  - do let me know how you get on.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, Dberten said:

Thanks. The closes HI is booked . Have to take the next one. My sister-in-law gave me a name of a tour service in Southampton that might be helpful with the transfers and tour of the area. Waiting for a reply from them. Mention was the Titanic exhibit as very good.

Southampton is quite walkable and there are various points of interest.  In our many times there pre-cruise, I don't remember anyone in our CC group engaging a tour guide.  High St. is in the heart of the historic area near the water.  We've always taken a National Bus from Heathrow to SH, very convenient and at a good price.

Edited by BarbinMich