Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

Canon, Nikon, which is better? They both make good camera and lenses. If you think you're really going to get involved in photography check their websites and see if they make the lenses you might want. When you're looking for a camera, check and see how they feel in your hand and how easy the features are to use. Then make your choice. The only DSLR I'd stay away from is Nikon's D40, as in my mind 6 megapixels is no longer acceptable.

The one area that Canon has an acknowledged advantage is less noise at high ISO settings.

Megapixels are almost meaningless if the camera cannot operate at least at an ISO of 400 without noise.

The one area that Canon is recognized to be far ahead of the present Nikon line is in long telephotos. Their 300 f2.8IS, 400 f2.8IS, 500 f4IS and 600mm f4IS are the standards by which all others are judged. If Nikon ever adds VR to their long lenses at a price equal to Canon, I will take this all back.

As far as bodies, the full frame 1DS is tops for studio and location work when one doesn't want to work in MF. The new 1D MKIII (if you can find one) is tops for sport and fast moving objects. I'm the next Nikon body will raise the bar even further in the later area, but they do not have a full frame camera, so nothing Nikon compares to the 1DS.

I'm amazed at the action shots I get with my Nikon D80 and the 55-200 kit lens. Soccer games, softball games, dog running, cars, sunsets, portraits, etc. The vivid color and sharpness of the image are striking.

Instant on, no discernable shutter-delay, auto focus tracking quick moving subjects - all features which are perfect for my needs.

I can't think of any Nikon or Canon DSLR currently made that shows any appreciable noise at 400 ISO. That's pretty low. I'd say 800 ISO down shouldn't show any real noise at "normal" viewing conditions.

I guess Nikon's targeting mainstream users cuz there's no full frame Nikon forecasted in the near future. Course, the 1DS is $5000+ which is clearly beyond the price point of anyone considering a jump to a DSLR. Anyone considering a jump to a DSLR would gladly give up having a full frame sensor in exchange for a camera $4000+ cheaper.

Nikon's doing just fine in getting marketshare with their D40/80/200 line and the incredible 18-200mm VR lens (just need one lens; no more swapping). The average consumer isn't going to pay much more than $1500 for a body and Canon and Nikon's bodies are basically equal there. Same goes for lenses.

Pros would spend more, but it really depends on what they shoot and since they're pros, they're more willing to go into the very high end stuff.

I already know that I'll be bringing my full compliment of lenses, 10-22, 17-40, 28-105, 60macro, 70-200, 100-400, plus 2x extender. My question is... Which lens did you use the most... Did you need the longer lenses for landscapes or did the standard landscape lenses work... What about filters? Anybody use any creative filters, or stick with the polarizer.

D40x has a 10 megapixel sensor. Technology is moving right along. Even with the entry level cameras like the D40.

The D40x at 10 megapixels is definitely a worthwhile step up from the anemic 6 of the D40. I still feel if you're willing to settle for 6 megapixels you might as well stay with a P&S.

I already know that I'll be bringing my full compliment of lenses, 10-22, 17-40, 28-105, 60macro, 70-200, 100-400, plus 2x extender. My question is... Which lens did you use the most... Did you need the longer lenses for landscapes or did the standard landscape lenses work... What about filters? Anybody use any creative filters, or stick with the polarizer.

Zark, I brought my basic 4 lens travel kit, a 10-22, 24-105L IS, a 135L f/2 and a 100-400L. I probably used the 10-22 the least, the 24-105L the most, while the remaining two lenses were more for specialized uses-- the 135L for taking available light pictures at the evening performances and the 100-400L at Margerie Glacier to capture calving sequences. I'm use an XT, a 1.6 body.

I only used UV filters for front element protection.

Here is a question for the camera experts on this board. Please don't flame me for my ignorance, I just have never had a reason to have to turn my flash off. We will be flying to Anan Creek to see the bears in July. One of the "rules" is that "No Flash Photography is Allowed". I have read my manual and even gone to Best Buy to get advice so please tell me if I have it right. I have a Nikon N65. To turn my camera to flash off mode, I turn camera on, depress Flash Cancel button with crooked arrow on the top left side while I turn the Command Dial one click to the left. This keep the flash from popping up in low light conditions. When I want to return to auto flash, I just turn camera off, then on again. Correct ?? Does this also have to be done when I attach my zoom lens, since I have to set everything to Manual when I use it?? Or does the flash not pop up in low light when using a zoom ?? I am so technically ignorant.......but I do try and read and study this, it is just that most of the terminology in the instruction manual, as well as on this board are beyond me. Thank you for any help. gg

PS - If it is raining when I am trying to use my camera, is it ok for it to get sprinkled on, or how do you keep it dry and still take pictures of wildlife ???

Archived