Single Supplement Waived?

Windsailer

Does anyone have any recent experience with the single supplement being waived on a Windstar cruise? A related question is that if you book a cabin and pay the single supplement, then later Windstar waives the single supplement on that cruise, can you ask that the waiver be applied to your fare? Thanks in advance for whatever information you can provide. 

I sailed on Windsurf a few years ago as a solo. At that time they had a flyer that showed several sailings with different low single supplements (from 25%, 50% etc.). Haven't seen ANY reduced supplements since that time and even contacted an agent and asked about similar offerings and was told there were none. I went ahead and inquired about a quote for a slow-selling, not very inspiring sailing, and was quoted double fare on the lowest category stateroom. I don't think they're really interested in solos sailing with them. 

11 hours ago, Zoey said:

I sailed on Windsurf a few years ago as a solo. At that time they had a flyer that showed several sailings with different low single supplements (from 25%, 50% etc.). Haven't seen ANY reduced supplements since that time and even contacted an agent and asked about similar offerings and was told there were none. I went ahead and inquired about a quote for a slow-selling, not very inspiring sailing, and was quoted double fare on the lowest category stateroom. I don't think they're really interested in solos sailing with them. 

That's what I was afraid of. I paid double on my first WindStar cruise and hoped that perhaps I could find a less expensive fare on my next one. 

Their regular solo supplement is about 75% of the cruise fare - at least that's what I found when choosing my crossing & Alaska cruise. I did watch for specials (checking 7 for 7 every week & sale weeks). My initial booking was during 7-for-7s. There were later 7-for-7s with lower prices so I got the fare reduced twice and ended up about 30% lower than where I started.

So while there aren't reduced solo supplements, you can look for a special to get a lower price.

I'm trying Star Clipper (sailing in 3 days out of Phuket) because they had a no solo supplement deal on a bunch of cruises. I hope I like it so it will widen my small ship options. Their base fares in Europe tend to be lower than Windstar, but in the Caribbean they tend to be higher. 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an offer for 0 single supplement in Summer 2017 and booked for December in the Caribbean. Enjoyed going to small islands and have been looking for same offer since but no luck.  I have been sailing on Star Clippers since as they still offer 0 single supplement from time to time and I have used this 3 times since and am ready to book another now for 2020 again in the Caribbean.

1 hour ago, elklemi said:

I saw an offer for 0 single supplement in Summer 2017 and booked for December in the Caribbean. Enjoyed going to small islands and have been looking for same offer since but no luck.  I have been sailing on Star Clippers since as they still offer 0 single supplement from time to time and I have used this 3 times since and am ready to book another now for 2020 again in the Caribbean.

Interesting. How does Star Clippers compare to WindStar? Would appreciate your thoughts. 

Similar to Windstar in they stop at small out of the way islands, very good food, excellent service, beach BBQ,  

Differences are only one restaurant, smaller cabins (nicely appointed) smaller Star Flyer 360 ft and 170 passengers, less space on deck and no separate place for sandwiches all day (they have appetizers on deck from 5-6 PM), they sail more than Windstar as this is a sailing ship)

I used Utube to get an idea of their ships as there are many views on their trips, Windstar is similiar to a cruise ship altho smaller scale and they can get into small ports or islands.

I enjoyed both and would sail with Windstar again if they would offer the 0 single supplement but I have grown to enjoy Star Clipper and have sailed on the Star Flyer 3 ties and larger Royal CLipper once, FYI they are now offering 0 single supplement on the Caribbean for next year and some other cruises, check their website for specials if you may be interested.

7 hours ago, elklemi said:

Similar to Windstar in they stop at small out of the way islands, very good food, excellent service, beach BBQ,  

Differences are only one restaurant, smaller cabins (nicely appointed) smaller Star Flyer 360 ft and 170 passengers, less space on deck and no separate place for sandwiches all day (they have appetizers on deck from 5-6 PM), they sail more than Windstar as this is a sailing ship)

I used Utube to get an idea of their ships as there are many views on their trips, Windstar is similiar to a cruise ship altho smaller scale and they can get into small ports or islands.

I enjoyed both and would sail with Windstar again if they would offer the 0 single supplement but I have grown to enjoy Star Clipper and have sailed on the Star Flyer 3 ties and larger Royal CLipper once, FYI they are now offering 0 single supplement on the Caribbean for next year and some other cruises, check their website for specials if you may be interested.

Thanks for the information. I will check out their specials!