Viking Danube Extentions?

Cruiseoholic000

I am thinking of booking a Viking Danube cruise for June/July 2020.    On a previous Viking trip we did the pre extension and loved it.  If we leave out of of Budapest it seems odd to choose the 2 days in Budapest for $499 as you are staying 2 days in Budapest already.  Any reviews on viking options below

Prague 3 nights $799

Budapest 2 nights  $499

Leaving from Passau

Pre Munich & Salzburg   $1299

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

We did the Prague 3 nights last year.  At first we thought it a bit pricey but when we added up things like the airport transfer, transfer to Nuremberg and a really nice breakfast it didn't seem so bad.  Viking ran a bus from the hotel to the center of the city every hour. Viking also had a rep in the hotel (during business hours).  Would not have a problem using Viking to arrange again.

We also did the Prague post-trip, but in 2017.  The hotel at the time was about a 10-15 minute walk from the astronomical clock. However, there was another Viking tour that was lodged in a hotel that was only accessible to the city centre area by metro or the Viking shuttle.  So verify your location before booking if you like to walk to attractions from your hotel.  The convenience however was the transfer from Nuremberg to Prague.  This year, we skipped the Budapest pre-cruise extension from Viking and made our own arrangements, as we were not fully satisfied with the location of the hotel selected by Viking.  The pre-extension we did in 2017 was a much better hotel than what was offered this year. 😒

We did the pre-cruise extension in Munich and Salzburg last year, and loved every minute.  We had an excellent tour guide in Munich and seeing Neuschwanstein Castle was amazing.  We fell in love with Salzburg, had another outstanding guide,

and plenty of free time to explore on our own.  The Sound of Music tour was incredible, so much beautiful scenery.  I know it’s a little pricey, but we felt it was well worth it.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, Cruiseoholic000 said:

I am thinking of booking a Viking Danube cruise for June/July 2020.    On a previous Viking trip we did the pre extension and loved it.  If we leave out of of Budapest it seems odd to choose the 2 days in Budapest for $499 as you are staying 2 days in Budapest already.  Any reviews on viking options below

Prague 3 nights $799

Budapest 2 nights  $499

Leaving from Passau

Pre Munich & Salzburg   $1299

Prague extension is great. We did it on both of our cruises last year. You can see all of my pictures here. 

https://RhodesVacations.com

5911A7AF-1754-4403-BB64-8456B2EA6E30.jpeg

Edited by steverhodes

We’re leaving next week to do the Elegant Elbe, starting in Prague.  Personally I’m disappointed in Viking for putting us in a hotel that’s nearly an hours walk to the Charles Bridge, the Corinthia.  I’m sure the hotel is more than satisfactory however, IMHO, the location is not.  No mention in our final documents if a scheduled shuttle runs into Old Town on a regular basis, still not the best.  This is a small ship we’ll eventually be on so I can’t imagine there are not closer, more convenient hotels.  Like I said, just my opinion.