"Too Early" to book main dining room

HMY624

Wondering if this has happened/is happening to others. We booked the Symphony for February 2020 way back in October of 2018. At that time, they said only My Time dining was available and waiting list "wasn't open yet" for the early seating in the main dining room (which is what we want). So, we booked that and I called back yesterday and they told me the same thing. This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard! The waiting list isn't open yet? And the early dining is already full almost a year and a half early? Can anyone shed some light on this?

If we do get "stuck" with My Time dining, is it easy to make reservations before we get on the ship for every night of the cruise or is it a walk up only (like Carnival)? We haven't sailed with RCCL since before My Time dining was a thing. TIA

The inability to be assigned to the desired MDR seating far in advance seems to be a common situation lately. 

Keep trying to get on the wait list.

Failing that, try to get changed to early seating once onboard.

If that does not work, just show up when you want for My Time.

If you do have to do the My Time, yes, you can go ahead and make reservations for each night of the cruise in advance.  It is under the Dining section in Cruise Planner.  You just make your reservations just like if you were to purchase anything else, except there is no cost.

Edited by panzafit

Book your My Time Dining as soon as possible for each night. The early times are popular so I would not wait. You can ask to be seated at the same table every night. If the early traditional dining opens up then you can just cancel your reserved times for MTD

40 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I recently booked Harmony for 2020 & Freedom (B2B) for April 2021 and had the choice of MTD or MDR even that far out....so I guess it varies.

Just to add my Harmony is for May 2020.

I have 3 cruises booked.  Explorer Oct 2019, Anthem March 2020 and Allure Nov 2020.  I have early dining for all of them.  I have been waitlisted in the past and a royal rep told me they open up the dining times in "blocks" over time and that waitlisted dining times will be assigned when the next "block" becomes available.  I did end up with the dining I wanted but it did take time.  I am not even sure the rep was telling me the truth or trying to get me off the phone.