LIVE From the Royal Princess: 4/6/2019

HBCcruiser

I'm very much enjoying reading your pre-cruise posts! I'm going to be doing the same as  you on Monday. I'll be cruising on Ruby, April 8th. So I'm going to start my "Live" thread in just a few days. These are always so much fun to read! Great for building the excitement. 

• Like 2

Great looking forward to your  report.  We are on Royal  in a penthouse suite this summer.  We also sailed in the NCL Star in March in a 2 bedroom suite. So looking forward to the comparisons.  Are you looking at the Sancuary at all?  Is so I would be interested in that.  But will look foreword to all you write.  

Looks like you are having fun already.  

9 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Ok. We are in a suite so are scheduled for Anytime Dining and breakfast at Sabatini's (if that makes any difference). We are also going to Crown Grill and Sabatini's for dinner. I will try to get copies of menus daily. I have not sailed Princess in a while, but am hoping that our room steward can get those for us. If not, I'll figure it out! 

If you are in a suite, you qualify for Club Class dining then.

Since you haven’t sailed Princess for awhile not sure if you were aware of that? .  Club Class is only for those in full Suites and those in mini suites designated as Club Class.  

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 1

Great looking forward to your  report.  We are on Royal  in a penthouse suite this summer.  We also sailed in the NCL Star in March in a 2 bedroom suite. So looking forward to the comparisons.  Are you looking at the Sancuary at all?  Is so I would be interested in that.  But will look foreword to all you write.  
Looks like you are having fun already.  

YES! I plan to run up there as soon as we board to try to get a lounger. With NCL, suites have TOTAL preference above platinum/Elite status. Heck you are PAYING for it!! We shall see if Princess compares in that area. My mom is Platinum almost Elite. Seriously, I’m willing to pay more IF we get better perks and service. Period. Otherwise.... NOT. I’m excited to see how the Sanctuary compares to VIBE. I’ll let you know!

10 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Let me know if you want any specific info or pics of anything. I will be uploading photos of daily patters and menus... as long as the WiFi is as fast as they say...😁

I would like to know what night is the Brazilian night at the buffet. Also, I am wondering if they have these leather type bands for the medallion and if so how much are they? 

Thanks so much! Enjoy your cruise! 

3D197246-A3ED-4415-BF30-B704794A27C4.jpeg

I would like to know what night is the Brazilian night at the buffet. Also, I am wondering if they have these leather type bands for the medallion and if so how much are they? 
 Thanks so much! Enjoy your cruise! 

3D197246-A3ED-4415-BF30-B704794A27C4.thumb.jpeg.0f07b946f64405a03b8d442d56a4afbe.jpeg

Will do! I’ll take a pic of the medallion accessory shopping options.

thanks.  I  hope you enjoy the Sancuary.  I have read that Royal does not have a lot of outdoor viewing areas.  We are taking her to Alaska, including Glacier Bay.  So that is the day we may book loungers or perhaps a cabana.  If you can post where (location)  you chose a lounger, wonder if they have numbers?  that would be great.  We of course are interested in the best view.  Are not we all? 

Anyway, I am thinking it would be a nice way to spend that day.  And as you stated, it is worth it.  I realize it will cost more.  

Our first time on Princess, but don’t suite passengers have priority embarkation?  So your plan is to head up to book your space?  Sounds like a good one.  

So so nice of you to post live and answer so many questions.  

8 minutes ago, milolii said:

thanks.  I  hope you enjoy the Sancuary.  I have read that Royal does not have a lot of outdoor viewing areas.  We are taking her to Alaska, including Glacier Bay.  So that is the day we may book loungers or perhaps a cabana.  If you can post where (location)  you chose a lounger, wonder if they have numbers?  that would be great.  We of course are interested in the best view.  Are not we all? 

Anyway, I am thinking it would be a nice way to spend that day.  And as you stated, it is worth it.  I realize it will cost more.  

Our first time on Princess, but don’t suite passengers have priority embarkation?  So your plan is to head up to book your space?  Sounds like a good one.  

We sailed to Alaska - Inside Passage including Glacier Bay - in September 2018 on the HAL ship Nieuw Amsterdam and it was WONDERFUL! I’ll post a link to that review below in case you are interested. That ship has a ton of outdoor viewing spaces so I know what you are looking for. I will check out the Royal and see how she compares in that area. Also, it often rains in Alaska so viewing from a covered or protected area is another consideration. I’ll also check for those spaces on the Royal. Hopefully I will be able to score 2 loungers in the Sanctuary and be able to video the entire area for you. Enjoy Alaska! It truly is a beautiful place. 

2 hours ago, milolii said:

The Priority order I’ve usually experienced is Elites board before suites,  and in the past, those needing special assistance boarded before the aforementioned. I don’t know if that’s still the case.  In Ft Lauderdale it wasn’t. 

It is a myth that there aren’t a lot of viewing areas on deck on the Royal. There are plenty of viewing areas.  Keep in mins, the majority of tge cabins have balconies, so most people will probably use their own 

balconies   

This ship is huge, so there should be plenty of goid spots for viewing. 

HBCruisers, I have pics of the Sanctuary, although we didn’t stay there, I self-toured a few years back. Will post on our roll call!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

The Priority order I’ve usually experienced is Elites board before suites,  and in the past, those needing special assistance boarded before the aforementioned. I don’t know if that’s still the case.  In Ft Lauderdale it wasn’t. 

It is a myth that there aren’t a lot of viewing areas on deck on the Royal. There are plenty of viewing areas.  Keep in mins, the majority of tge cabins have balconies, so most people will probably use their own 

balconies   

This ship is huge, so there should be plenty of goid spots for viewing. 

HBCruisers, I have pics of the Sanctuary, although we didn’t stay there, I self-toured a few years back. Will post on our roll call!

Interesting. On NCL Haven suites board first. If you are in the Haven suites you have priority treatment the entire cruise. It will be fun comparing the two experiences. The Haven suites on NCL come with a butler and special concierge who take good care of you and make sure you don’t “want” for anything. I know the Royal Princess does not offer that, but we hardly used our butler anyway. 

Back to packing!!

Packing done! I will carry the wine in my small carryon. Just have toiletries, makeup and camera gear left to pack. Oh, also packed the beads and crowns for the pub crawl. The winners of the bar trivia game get the crowns! 

BFAB7D83-8F3A-4F95-B331-E1D08EA5CBA1.jpeg

A762B45C-578C-4B77-9653-3CCC1C518E73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Packing done! I will carry the wine in my small carryon. Just have toiletries, makeup and camera gear left to pack. Oh, also packed the beads and crowns for the pub crawl. The winners of the bar trivia game get the crowns! 

BFAB7D83-8F3A-4F95-B331-E1D08EA5CBA1.jpeg

A762B45C-578C-4B77-9653-3CCC1C518E73.jpeg

It looks to me that your all set to go. Have a great cruise 👍 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

The Priority order I’ve usually experienced is Elites board before suites,  and in the past, those needing special assistance boarded before the aforementioned.

In my experience, the elite and suite passengers board at the same time.

Thank you all for your comments.  This is good information.  I am new to Princess, so all of this helps.  Yes, NCL goes all out for suite quests. The experience is awesome.  And the bathroom in many suites looking directly over the water is incredible.  We do not use the Butler much either.  The Conceirge, however, is very helpful.  But their pricing is very high now.  And the food outside of the Speciality Restaurants is, well, poor.  Looking foreword to the comparison.  

And Princess has very good itenaries.  

4cats4me, thanks for the information about the outdoor space.  I will go look at your video.  

20 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

That is our experience too.

There is not much difference in time as they go right after one another anyway.

• Like 1

Just got off the Royal yesterday. On checking in we got a lanyard with our medalion as well as a cruise card. Our cabin door opened automatically when we approached. Our photo also came up . We used the medalian for our on board purchases. Our Mexico cruise. Everytime we exited and reboarded ship, both the card and medalian were scanned. Also when you walked in the gift shops, they could see who you were and we were called by name. Apparently it shows up on their registers.

We were suppose to have a delayed boarding since the ship had come from South America and Customs was doing a big inspection.However, we got to the pier at noon, and  got right on the ship,. They were already boarding.

If you are driving, with other ships in port, don't arrive very late, or your parking will be compromised. Not many parking spaces were left at noon. Princess has the terminal on the right, not the one with the larger terminal.

Loved the cruise and the ship (this was our 5th time on the beautiful Royal Princess)

3 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Just got off the Royal yesterday. On checking in we got a lanyard with our medalion as well as a cruise card. Our cabin door opened automatically when we approached. Our photo also came up . We used the medalian for our on board purchases. Our Mexico cruise. Everytime we exited and reboarded ship, both the card and medalian were scanned. Also when you walked in the gift shops, they could see who you were and we were called by name. Apparently it shows up on their registers.

We were suppose to have a delayed boarding since the ship had come from South America and Customs was doing a big inspection.However, we got to the pier at noon, and  got right on the ship,. They were already boarding.

If you are driving, with other ships in port, don't arrive very late, or your parking will be compromised. Not many parking spaces were left at noon. Princess has the terminal on the right, not the one with the larger terminal.

Loved the cruise and the ship (this was our 5th time on the beautiful Royal Princess)

Thank you! Which nights were the formal nights? 

18 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Interesting. On NCL Haven suites board first. If you are in the Haven suites you have priority treatment the entire cruise. It will be fun comparing the two experiences. The Haven suites on NCL come with a butler and special concierge who take good care of you and make sure you don’t “want” for anything. I know the Royal Princess does not offer that, but we hardly used our butler anyway. 

Back to packing!!

I am Platinum (highest tier and then broken down more) on NCL and have sailed on the Star twice. With the exception of my trip on the Getaway I have always been in a suite and comparing the treatment of suite passengers on NCL to Princess and Celebrity, NCL hands down does it best. Now the last time I was on Princess in a suite was years ago so things may have changed.

As to wifi - NCL is kind of lagging behind all the other cruiselines. In 2014, when I spoke with Kevin Sheehan on my Getaway trip his goal was to have wifi improved by 2017. Then NCL got rid of him and brought in Frank Del Rio. My view of his whole goal has been to increase investor revenue and little is being done to improve customer's experience. He totally missed the mark with the NCL Joy and the Asian market and the Joy is now sailing the Western Hemisphere trips.

See you in a few days!

Edited by Wildcatllamas
spelling

31 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I am Platinum (highest tier and then broken down more) on NCL and have sailed on the Star twice. With the exception of my trip on the Getaway I have always been in a suite and comparing the treatment of suite passengers on NCL to Princess and Celebrity, NCL hands down does it best. Now the last time I was on Princess in a suite was years ago so things may have changed.

As to wifi - NCL is kind of lagging behind all the other cruiselines. In 2014, when I spoke with Kevin Sheehan on my Getaway trip his goal was to have wifi improved by 2017. Then NCL got rid of him and brought in Frank Del Rio. My view of his whole goal has been to increase investor revenue and little is being done to improve customer's experience. He totally missed the mark with the NCL Joy and the Asian market and the Joy is now sailing the Western Hemisphere trips.

See you in a few days!

We were on the Bliss in November and the wi fi was amazing.  We are going to be on the Royal in a month so we can compare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Glad you enjoyed the cruise.  There have been some negative posts on that sailing.  I will be on her 4/27 and am so excited!