Belize?

cindik

What to do in Belize? For some reason, I can’t see anything to do here that jumps out at me. I really don’t want to ride 2 hours to see the ruins. The port itself kinda scares me. Any good suggestions from those who have been there?

• Like 1

Lamanai is what I did. It’s an hour and a half trip. hour bus ride, 30 min boat ride. Did it so I can say I climbed the high temple. Don’t want to go back. If I do I’ll find something else to do...but if I can only go once, that’s what I’m doing.

0CF55022-CB29-4C73-83C0-8DEB5D8A0925.thumb.jpeg.11f35136733d852e01e8dc0729b51226.jpegC25A93DA-FF82-4659-98C3-AC84BC15FDBB.thumb.jpeg.004f2831380ccc28b90646720effced7.jpeg8754CEB8-CD5F-476C-8573-83904485E22A.thumb.jpeg.d8c605f04f209061aecbe7086f0c3bd1.jpegAA3B7AC0-F4B8-4CE2-A0FD-873EC6F9F54C.thumb.jpeg.ede0d9a359d3706a9a7e510e6f14dee9.jpegFEB5B701-8388-4995-839A-59361D78CAFE.thumb.jpeg.14a2f1e626896f0987cc1c8c640607ab.jpeg

• Like 1

I like getting on the Wallace River for the wildlife.  But I don't know if there are any available excursion on the River Wallace that don't involve a bus ride and Altun Ha--both of which I'd rather skip too.

Cave tubing was fantastic.  Involves a more than an hour bus ride with a great guide to give you history on Belize.  Walk in the jungle until you get to a tropical river where you get on your inner tubes and go into the caves.  They give you miners hat with light.  Takes maybe 45 minutes or more to get out of the cave.  Hike back to camp for a good Belize lunch (and beer) and then back to port.    

I saw nothing in port to be afraid of.  Maybe not exciting, just a regular city in that area of the world.  Incredible poverty for sure.  If not comfortable with that, probably a great place to stay on the ship.

We did the cave tubing/zip lining tour. I would skip the zip lining and just do the cave tubing. Gives you more time to explore (they rushed us thru due to time constraints). But it was a really unique experience and super fun. 

45 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

Cave tubing was fantastic.  Involves a more than an hour bus ride with a great guide to give you history on Belize.  Walk in the jungle until you get to a tropical river where you get on your inner tubes and go into the caves.  They give you miners hat with light.  Takes maybe 45 minutes or more to get out of the cave.  Hike back to camp for a good Belize lunch (and beer) and then back to port.

How long is the hike each way?  Is it uphill at any point in either direction?

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, Tiger0613 said:

How long is the hike each way?  Is it uphill at any point in either direction?

Hike to the river was about a mile.  No big hills that I remember.  Not a strenuous hike by any means.  If I remember correctly you get out of the river basically at the base camp so do not have to walk very far.  

You would not need to be in great shape to do this tour (I am 67) but not for the disabled by any means.   

• 2 weeks later...

We also did Lamanai, as I couldn't imagine being in Belize and not seeing anything beyond the ship.  We decided it would be a great place to see ruins, and wanted to see the biggest/most we could.  It was a long bus ride through a dirty city/countryside, but that is Belize and we want to see ALL the world, not just the parts polished for tourists.  Also, it makes us want to do better - for ourselves and our planet.  :-)

That being said, we loved it, loved the ruins, and would do the same thing if we had it to do over again, knowing what we know now.  This year, however, we will be focusing on water and try a snorkel trip.  If not that, then cave tubing for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Belize last year and our shark/ray excursion with Coral Breeze was cancelled minutes before departing due to not enough people. So we ended up taking a bus tour of the city. Not the day we had in mind but we did get to tour the rum Factory and see some of the history. Not one of my favorite stops.

So many things to do there and we have enjoyed each and every time. 

We've been cave tubing twice (it seems to be the "in" thing to do there that you won't get to experience at other ports).

We did shark ray alley and Caye Caulker. It was interesting to swim with the sharks and rays.

Goffs Caye is a very small island (you get there by boat) and beautiful clear water with awesome snorkeling.

Rendezvous Caye is another very small island (by boat) with super awesome snorkeling and reef. 

On 3/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The Zoo is pretty cool, not anything like an American zoo.  The Altun Ha and River Wallace tour is AWESOME.  Small boats with eagle-eyed animal spotters.  Altun Ha was fascinating.  

TIP:  Make absolutely sure if you go to the zoo that you bring bug spray/wipes.  I was eaten up by something that itched for 3 weeks.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, OCruisers said:

We very much enjoyed taking a catamaran/ boat tour out to their Barrier Reef which is the 2nd largest in the world. Amazing and not to be missed!  :classic_cool:

was that booked thru the cruise line or private? We're looking for more of a beach day - BFF doesn't want ruins, snorkel, anything w/ a lot of activity. Can't find a good beach spot so maybe just a nice sail? How crowded was it? Thanks.