What to do in Ponta Delgada??

robin13

Going on a TA and will be in Ponta Delgada on Saturday, May 4 from noon to 8pm.  It seems that I have tours in all of the ports except this one.  Have no idea how that happened but it did.  Can someone tell me what they would suggest to do in this port?  I know there are some real pretty places outside the city but I was just thinking of staying in the actual city and walking around there.  Or is it possible to hire a cab when I get off the ship and have them take me on a tour of the city?  Or is there a Hop On Hop Off bus?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated. 

We just had an overnight in Ponta Delgado last week and arranged 2 private tours with folks on our Roll Call. If you haven’t checked out your Roll Call I’d recommend doing that first as others may have already set up something that you can join. 

The first tour tour we did was to Fuogo Lake and waterfalls with Azorean Tours. Gary did an outstanding job showing us many different views of the lake. The vista is so green and beautiful. IHe arranged a lunch at a local restaurant which served the stew that they cook underground at Fuogo Lake. I used him several years ago to see Sete Cidades which was beautiful. Others in my ship said the weather didn’t allow them to see the different colors in the 2 lakes this year.  Take a look at all the shore excursions that Gary offers. I’m sure you will find one you like. I prefer to gather my own group together or you can let him do it for you. 

The second day i arranged a private “free” walking tour with Zsombi who was recommended on Trip Advisor. You tip him at the end with what you feel the tour was worth. Most people give between 5-10 euro. He has a Facebook page. He was fantastic and gave us a comprehensive history of the area and was flexible in meeting us where the ship shuttle dropped us instead of the city gates. 

Enjoy your Ponta Delgada stop. It is a very beautiful island. 

Joan

Can try arranging half day tour using http://www.azores-tours.com/en or http://www.azoreantours.com

Sete Citades (2 coloured lakes) and Lago Fuego (Fire lake) can be done in around 4 hrs. Very unique natural wonders. Otherwise not much to do in PDL except may be going to market and trying Azorean cheese which is very good. Also small local pineapple.

We've done private tours to both the east end of the island and the west end--quite different landscapes in the two.  On our last time there (2017) I enjoyed just walking around the city (I've done this in a lot of port cities).  I really like the distinctive architecture there (whitewashed with brown trim) and the beautiful designs in their sidewalks.  We've also walked as far as one of their parks, Jadim Antonio Borges (it's a bit uphill getting there).

Hi Robin, I think you are on the Epic. Let me know if you find something as we didn't like the ship choices either. I was trying to find a small walking tour but haven't come across one yet. Pat

3 hours ago, PSIA said:

Hi Robin, I think you are on the Epic. Let me know if you find something as we didn't like the ship choices either. I was trying to find a small walking tour but haven't come across one yet. Pat

We are also on the Epic and looking for ideas for this port. I think the tricky part is that we are not in port until noon.  A lot of the tours I have seen from operators not affiliated with the cruise line start in the morning.

Try links that I send. They do shore excursions and will accommodate any timing. Typical cost is 150€ per car (up to 4 pax) for full day so half day should be less

Something that may impact your planning:  4 ships dock in PG on May 4:  NCL Star, Jade and Epic, and the Marella Discovery.

From http://crew-center.com/ponta-delgada-azores-cruise-ship-schedule-2019

Ponta Delgada 4-May-2019 Marella Discovery 2  Marella Cruises 08:00-17:00
Ponta Delgada 4-May-2019 Norwegian Star NCL 10:00-18:00
Ponta Delgada 4-May-2019 Norwegian Jade NCL 07:00-15:00
Ponta Delgada 4-May-2019 Norwegian Epic NCL 12:00-20:00

Edited by evandbob

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, PSIA said:

Yes, I am on the Epic.  I discovered that there is a Hop on Hop Off bus in Ponta Delgada that I might do.  I really like the idea of doing a walking tour but the one that I looked at was sold out.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:58 AM, mom4mom said:

We just had an overnight in Ponta Delgado last week and arranged 2 private tours with folks on our Roll Call. If you haven’t checked out your Roll Call I’d recommend doing that first as others may have already set up something that you can join. 

The first tour tour we did was to Fuogo Lake and waterfalls with Azorean Tours. Gary did an outstanding job showing us many different views of the lake. The vista is so green and beautiful. IHe arranged a lunch at a local restaurant which served the stew that they cook underground at Fuogo Lake. I used him several years ago to see Sete Cidades which was beautiful. Others in my ship said the weather didn’t allow them to see the different colors in the 2 lakes this year.  Take a look at all the shore excursions that Gary offers. I’m sure you will find one you like. I prefer to gather my own group together or you can let him do it for you. 

The second day i arranged a private “free” walking tour with Zsombi who was recommended on Trip Advisor. You tip him at the end with what you feel the tour was worth. Most people give between 5-10 euro. He has a Facebook page. He was fantastic and gave us a comprehensive history of the area and was flexible in meeting us where the ship shuttle dropped us instead of the city gates. 

Enjoy your Ponta Delgada stop. It is a very beautiful island. 

Joan

Can you tell me how you booked your tour with Zsombi?  This sounds like something that I would love to do.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:40 AM, robin13 said:

Yes, I am on the Epic.  I discovered that there is a Hop on Hop Off bus in Ponta Delgada that I might do.  I really like the idea of doing a walking tour but the one that I looked at was sold out.

Can you tell me how you booked your tour with Zsombi?  This sounds like something that I would love to do.

I contacted him through Facebook.  Just search for free tour Ponta Delgada.  I just posted my review.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, GrJ Berks said:

One issue Ponte Delgado in the Azores is part of Portugal, so its in the wrong category.

This is a tough issue.  Yes, it is/was part of Portugal (actually it's officially the Autonomous Region of the Azores), but it's very, very far from Portugal, being in the middle of the Atlantic.  What category would you suggest? 

Per wikipedia:

"As defined by the Portuguese constitution and other laws, an autonomous region possesses its own political and administrative statute and has its own government. The branches of Government are the regional executive (Governo Regional) and the legislative assembly (known as the Assembleia Regional). The assembly is elected by universal suffrage, using the D'Hondt method of proportional representation.

Originally, the sovereignty of the Portuguese Republic was represented in each autonomous region by the Minister of the Republic (Ministro da República), proposed by the Government of the Republicand appointed by the President of the Republic. After the sixth amendment to the Portuguese Constitution was passed in 2006, the Minister of the Republic was replaced by a less-powerful Representative of the Republic (Representante da República) who is appointed by the President, after listening to the Government, but otherwise it is a presidential prerogative."

• Like 1