Costa Maya - Help Me choose our excursion or tour?

aimcat

My husband and I will be here in May on RC Symphony....the ship has a few interesting choices, but wanted some options on what to do for 2 mid 30s couple? What are the best options at this port? Will be our first time at port here. 

2 primary things to do...beach at Mahahual or Maya ruins tour.  For Maya ruins suggest googling The Native Choice.  Private, smaller tour, better guides.  For beach, choice is all-inclusive or PAYGO.  AI selections include: Maya Chan, Almaplena--both South of the male on (boardwalk) in Mahahual Jaime's at Blue Reef, No Hoch Kay, or Nachos Beach Club (new).  All require advanced reservations. All limit the number of guests each day. All have websites.  For PAYGO, lots of choices, just walk along the malecon.  Some places are better than others.  Better clubs are: Blue Kay, Tropicante, Pitaya, Pez Quadro, Krazy Lobster. Avoid any club where someone hawking off the malecon tries to offer you a lounger. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aimcat said:

Between doing the beach and ruins which is best? 

That depends on a lot of things, like where else you’re going and how much you like either.  There are amazing ruins in Belize if you’re stopping there.  In my opinion there are few better beaches that Costa Maya so given those two things I’d personally never miss the beach to go to ruins I’ve already done elsewhere.  

6 hours ago, aimcat said:

Our other stops are roatan, cozumel and cococay. 

Those stops all have great beach options, so I would lean towards the Ruins in Costa Maya. The Chachobben Extreme Tour with Native Choice is a good compromise since You get to see the ruins and also spend some time at a resort on the lagoon with the beach.

• Like 1

Do Maya Chan.  It may be booked up by now (for a reason) - it's the best beach club experience maybe in the Caribbean.  You would book it on your own and they handle transportation for you.  Very easy.  I would see if they have a spot for you.  It's the best excursion in the entire Yucatan (Trip Advisor) and far better than the touristy beach clubs in downtown Mahahual.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499450-d3844947-Reviews-or10-Maya_Chan_Beach-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Edited by BNBR

1 hour ago, aimcat said:

Is this one offered through RC or an outside excursion group?

Native Choice is an "outside" private excursion provider.  If you're determined to only book RC excursions, RCCL's CM95 is similar, but probably more crowded and not sure of the quality of the guides of where they go at Blue Lagoon.  There's also CM01 and CMA1 which are just the ruins.