Visa questions for China

jjeffjb

Our Asia cruise makes one stop in Shanghai and no other ports in China, expect for Hong Kong, which does not require a visa.  A free 24 hour visa is not applicable as the ship is docking in Japan before and after Shanghai and this type of visa requires that you are coming from one country and traveling to a different country.  Do I need a visa if I do a ship's tour for this one stop?  If I do not disembark at all in Shanghai would I still need a visa?  Thanks in advance your expertise.

16 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

Our Asia cruise makes one stop in Shanghai and no other ports in China, expect for Hong Kong, which does not require a visa.  A free 24 hour visa is not applicable as the ship is docking in Japan before and after Shanghai and this type of visa requires that you are coming from one country and traveling to a different country.  Do I need a visa if I do a ship's tour for this one stop?  If I do not disembark at all in Shanghai would I still need a visa?  Thanks in advance your expertise.

As you mentioned the visa exemption rule does not apply because of the same country before and after.

There is a (fairly new) regulation that eliminates the need for a visa when touring with a licensed tour operator on group tours. Only the cruise line can answer the question if they use a licensed operator.

However, you can also find some info here and organize a tour yourself: https://www.chinahighlights.com/shanghai/15-day-visa-free-travel.htm

Edited by Miaminice

It really has nothing to do with getting off the ship or staying on the ship. If you enter the territorial waters of the country, it does not matter if you get off or not. You need a visa to enter the country and the ship enters the country, therefore you need to get one. 

China does offer a 144 hour visa free arrival for  US passports but the cruise does not meet the requirements. Sorry

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, jjeffjb said:

Give more info, because you said two conflicting items.  What exactly is the order of stops?  Is it Japan-HK-Shanghai-Japan or is it Japan-Shanghai-Japan-HK.  The first one is a transit, but the second one is not.  Big difference.  I would think the cruise line would make it the first one.  Staying on the ship, is still in the country.  Check with your cruise line for details, or if they have additional info.  China is complicated.