Baltic cruise with Windstar or another line?

acruisefan

We love Windstar and have been on about 7 cruises with them. We are thinking about a Baltic cruise this summer, including St. Petersburg, but I'm concerned about going on one of the Yachts before the go into dry dock for the expansion. There have been several reviews complaining about the rundown state of things on these ships. 

I am thinking maybe it's time to try another line, especially for this cruise. I do not want to go on the bigger lines like Princess or Celebrity. I have been looking Seabourne (Ovation) and Crystal (Serenity).

Is there another line I should look at? I prefer a 7 day cruise, which Crystal is 10-12 and way more expensive, so I'm leaning towards Seabourne if we don't do Windstar for this cruise. I do love the casual feeling of Windstar but still feeling pampered. I know that Crystal is a fancier feeling at least at night with more dressing up for dinner, etc. Any suggestions or experiences with these other lines?

We will be on the Star Pride in May and I get what you are saying. Needless to say having been on the Star Breeze last year these vessels are certainly showing their age. That said we found the ship more than acceptable and experience no problems. Having been a long time Windstar cruiser, we did do a Regents cruise to Alaska before Windstar went there. In my experience Regents is a couple of notches above Windstar in most areas especially compared to the motor yachts. The Wind Surf is in a category all to it self and we truly enjoyed that ship for exactly what it is. Bottom line for us, if cost were comparable which I don't they are, I would choose Regent's over Windstar's motor yachts as they are now.  

Edited by beachtrl

Thank you for the replies. Windsurf is my absolute favorite! However, they no longer sail the Baltic. I am also looking at Silverseas now, although their itinerary does not include Helsinki. It is a partial day on Seabourne amd a full day on Windstar which also includes Mariehamm which is a 1/2 and looks like a lovely seaport. 

On Silverseas, there are 3 days in St Petersburg instead which could be a really good idea to have more time there.

Helsinki was one of the best ports.  After taking short ride on the shuttle into town, we bought a full day pass for transportation and admission to many sites. On our own. It was delightfully easy. Took the boat ride out to the fortress, toured the senate building, rode the tram 3A?  Tourist loop with commentary, etc.  I would rather be in Helsinki than St. Petersburg. 

Acruisefan, check Silversea again. I'm on their July 18 Baltic cruise, and it includes a half day in Helsinki. We opted for the itinerary with only two days in St Petersburg because it allowed time for a stop in Mariehamm. I've never cruised with Silversea, so I can't yet offer a review. Past cruises in Europe with Seabourn have been amazing...I just wanted to try a new line.

We are doing the Viking Sun next year for a b to b from Stockholm to London.  If it was available we would have done one of the Windstar sailing ships.  I think both the Wind Surf and the Wind Star have had Baltic itiniaries fairly recently.  

• 2 weeks later...

Windsurf cruise was in 2016.  That year there were several cruises in the Baltic.  

Windstar Cruises often change where they sail from year to year.  

Loved that cruise.  Ship docked in good locations. It was easy to walk off and be close to where you wanted to be. 

in 2001, we sailed the Baltic on a big ship. Docked far away from where you wanted to be. Had to take shuttles in several ports. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a 10 day Baltic Copenhagen to Stockholm on oceania Marina June 2020. Marina is larger than Windstar ships with 1200 people, but not a mega ship. Oceania's prices are a bit less than Windstar.

We were on the Star Breeze last summer on a Baltic Cruise, loved it!  The ship is showing its age a little but the cabins are very large.  We loved it!  Being able to dock closer and only had another small ship sharing the embarkation process (A VERY SLOW PROCESS in St. Petersburg). We had a great time the seas very rough one night. We will be on the Wind Surf this summer.

Second seating