Chankanaab?

Troy McClure

This is one of the few places that we have visited multiple times and is my wife's favorite.  Last visit was 3 years ago and the place was gorgeous.  The snorkeling is pretty good, as is the food, and the beer is cold.  It is a great place to veg out.  You can grab a cab to and from.  Easy to DIY.

• Like 1

Lots to offer, including beach, pool, snorkel area, sea lion shows, swim with the dolphins ($), nature trails, etc.  Admission fee of about $20 per adult. Taxi from the piers will be about $12 each way for up to 4 passengers in the cab.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in 2012. Fantastic day with great snorkeling. Rented equipment and a locker for the day and relaxed in the shade of a palapa when not in the water. Planning to go there again while on a cruise next year. Hoping the snorkeling is still as good as it was back then.

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

We go often.  It's a beautiful beach with decent snorkeling.  Waiters bring your drinks and food to your seats under the palapas, or there are a few restaurants.  There is a tour around the dolphin/manatee pens that is free.  It's fun and they even take your picture petting one of the dolphins.  You pay for the picture if you want it of course.  We have done the zipline and found it to be very safe and fun.  The sea lion show is also a lot of fun.  The pool has a swim up bar. And their is a small little cove for the little ones to play in.  And the massages in the open air massage station overlooking the lagoon are wonderful.  We always get off the ship as soon as we can and take a taxi to the park.  Several times we've been the first ones there and have our choice of palapas.  We have usually finished our first round of snorkeling before the cruiseship excursions start arriving.  Even when there are many ships in port, ith park has never seemed crowded.  We've been to Cozumel many times on cruises and land vacations anc Chankanaab is one of our favorite places to go.  You can usually find coupons on their website for $2 off regular admission.  If you want to do the zipline, book it in advance to guarantee a time and I believe that will include your park admittance.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks all, we enjoyed our trip to Chankanaab.  We docked at the closer pier and the cab ride was $12.

Our cab driver took us to a stand that sold tickets rather than the gate, he said the locals can make money selling tickets for the same price but we did not have all the same options as the front gate...lesson learned.   The locals, though, were selling all you can drink packages not offered by the park.  I want to say it was $68, which included the buffet.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need to have advance reservations to Chankanaab?  I went to their website and tried to do a mock reservation and it came up that there was no availability for my date January 2020

4 hours ago, sloper12 said:

Do you need to have advance reservations to Chankanaab?  I went to their website and tried to do a mock reservation and it came up that there was no availability for my date January 2020

We didn't need reservations, just purchased general entrance tickets at the front gate when we arrived by taxi. We didn't do any of the "extra" activities though. We rented snorkel equipment and purchased food/drinks from vendors inside the park as needed. 

So if I just did a general admission, can the kids go see the dolphins (not swim with them).  Would we get to use the swimming pool, see the Crocodiles and Sea lions?  

·      

there is a time you can "tour" walk around the dolphin, manatee area but not swim with them. dont know about crocs or sea lions but there is a kid friendly little beach area and pool. we buy general admission at the gate, sometimes there is a coupon on cozumelinsider.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Chankanaab's great.  The buffet was ridiculously overcrowded though; if we go again we definitely won't do that and just buy food from the place outside.  It does get busy but it's big so it never felt crowded.  We liked wandering through their "Mayan Village" area; it was a nice shade break.  Decent snorkeling though you do have to climb down a bit to get into the water - I would think it would be an problem only for moderate to severe mobility issues though.

Bottom line: tons of stuff to do, cheap, safe.

• Like 2